.tn spam is still a pain in the derriere !!

Nev

Many months ago I posted asking if any other members were suffering from receiving repeated spam mails from varied addresses connected to .tn ( Tunisia ).

There was little positive response on the .tn connection, but some valuable help was given for changing some of my settings for better reporting of these mails.

Thanks to Mailwasher and SpamCop, the spam I receive has slowed to a trickle, despite having a widely publicised Web presence. However .tn mails still regularly arrive almost daily, as virtually the only spam I do receive. I report them all to SpamCop and First Alert .. but it seems to make little difference.

Occasionally I cannot report them because of messages like this received today, the 24th June:

Tracking message source: 193.95.97.134:

Routing details for 193.95.97.134

[refresh/show] Cached whois for 193.95.97.134 : equipe-reseaux[at]ati.tn pdg[at]ati.tn

Using last resort contacts equipe-reseaux[at]ati.tn pdg[at]ati.tn

ISP has indicated spam will cease; ISP resolved this issue sometime after 23 June 2009 22:27:02 +0100

Message is 1 hours old.

The above ISPs are responsible for sending all the .tn spam to me, from a variety of senders' e-addresses either from .tn or gmail.

Does anyone check as to whether an ISP is telling the truth? Despite their many 'this spam will cease' promises .. it doesn't cease !!!

Cheers

Nev

<snip>

I report them all to SpamCop and First Alert .. but it seems to make little difference.

Hi, Nev!

...Don't know anything about First Alert but SpamCop can do nothing to stop spam. The best it can do is to help you report the spam to the abuse address (as you've been doing) and, if enough of our fellow users also report the source IP address, add it to the SpamCop Blacklist. Are you using the SC blacklist and/or a "country" blacklist to tag or block spam from Tunisia?

<snip>

ISP has indicated spam will cease; ISP resolved this issue sometime after 23 June 2009 22:27:02 +0100

Message is 1 hours old.

The above ISPs are responsible for sending all the .tn spam to me, from a variety of senders' e-addresses either from .tn or gmail.

Does anyone check as to whether an ISP is telling the truth? Despite their many 'this spam will cease' promises .. it doesn't cease !!!

...If spam is coming from multiple IP address sources, the ISP might be telling the truth but you continue to receive spam for which that ISP is responsible because it's coming from different IP addresses. I don't know whether or not anyone from SpamCop is checking on whether the ISPs are telling the truth but I can tell you that we volunteers and fellow users almost certainly aren't. My guess is that SpamCop staff are not, either, because (if I understand correctly) the "spam will cease" flag times off eventually and future spam from that IP address will become reportable again.

Hi Turetzsr,

Many thanks for your reply .. yes, no doubt the "spam will cease" flag times off eventually .. but you probably already understand how incredibly boring and frustrating repeatedly reporting the same ISP gets .. especially when virtually no other ( non .tn ) spam is arriving. More so because these Tunisian mails have been continuously arriving for over two years and I did nothing in the beginning to encourage or invite them.

Am I using the SC blacklist and/or a "country" blacklist to tag or block spam from Tunisia? No, I'm not, I wish I could !!

Believe me, I have tried every type of combination of filter rules in Mailwasher that I ( not a professional IT wizard ) can think of and that others have suggested, to try to stop these Tunisian based spam mails from even appearing in my Mailwasher Inbox .. with no success. To be able to block the mails from this particular ati.tn ISP and others using .tn ... or mails from Tunisia in general .. I just do not know the method.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Nev

...My guess is that SpamCop staff are not, either, because (if I understand correctly) the "spam will cease" flag times off eventually and future spam from that IP address will become reportable again.
The thought was 24 hours to time off - http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=52614 - or something of that order. Any blatant abuse of that 'breathing space' provision (such as the same IP address day after day) should certainly be brought to the attention of the deputies.

Hi Turetzsr,
...Actually, 'turetzsr' is just my SpamCop Forum ID; please call me 'Steve' or 'Steve T'! :) <g>
<snip>

you probably already understand how incredibly boring and frustrating repeatedly reporting the same ISP gets

...You seem to be getting nothing out of reporting them, so you may wish to consider alternate endeavors. :) Seriously, you are under no obligation to report these spam -- certainly not each and every spam you receive (although no doubt those who use the SpamCop Blacklist will be most appreciative of your efforts!).
Am I using the SC blacklist and/or a "country" blacklist to tag or block spam from Tunisia? No, I'm not, I wish I could !!

<snip>

...Why, sure you can! Just sign up with an e-mail provider that lets you do that! The SpamCop e-mail service, for example (disclaimer: I receive absolutely no compensation for making such suggestions :) <g>)!

Archived