[Resolved] forwarded emails not held?

Hi,

I a spamcop account, and I am currently using it to forward to our hosted email server using the email forwarding functionality in spamcop.

Last night, our ISP changed the static ip for our machine, which ment that the forwarded email server would not be accessable (until I update DNS).

Because of this change, what has happened to these emails?

I was under the impression that they would be held on spamcop somewhere, until I release them if they could not be forwarded on.... is this not the case?

I did not get any bounce emails back from spamcop either, so what has happend to the emails?

Again, to sum up, we are just using the forwarded email option, to forward emails to our [at]spamcop.net address to our own email server, but our email server was unaccessible for awhile... what has happened to our emails that could not be sent?

Thanks

Antonio

I did not get any bounce emails back from spamcop either, so what has happend to the emails?

Again, to sum up, we are just using the forwarded email option, to forward emails to our [at]spamcop.net address to our own email server, but our email server was unaccessible for awhile... what has happened to our emails that could not be sent?

In the past, I would have interceded and forwarded this query with any additional data I could dig up to the folks that own and manage the e-mail server here. However, there's simply too much confision in my research results, based on the lack of data provided for me to send a request upstream. Please see the How to contact a SpamCop representative entry in the SpamCop FAQ and/or the {b]SpamCop WIKI[/b] found using links at the top of this page.

In general, the story would go that as there were no bounce/error messages, there is in fact a server that 'accepted' the forwarded e-mails. What that server did with them would be the question in that case. My problem from this side of the screen, what server might that be?

Address used to Register here suggests;

Dig flerwin.net[at]ns3.discountdomains.co.nz (202.174.115.134) ...

failed, couldn't connect to nameserver

Dig flerwin.net[at]ns2.discountdomains.co.nz (202.174.117.124) ...

Non-authoritative answer

Recursive queries supported by this server

Query refused. Nameserver won't talk to me for policy reasons

Dig flerwin.net[at]ns1.discountdomains.co.nz (202.174.112.12) ...

Authoritative Answer

Query for flerwin.net type=255 class=1

flerwin.net SOA (Zone of Authority)

Primary NS: ns1.discountdomains.co.nz

Responsible person: hostmaster[at]ns1.discountdomains.co.nz

serial:2009060816

refresh:3600s (60 minutes)

retry:900s (15 minutes)

expire:1209600s (14 days)

minimum-ttl:43200s (12 hours)

flerwin.net NS (Nameserver) ns1.discountdomains.co.nz

flerwin.net NS (Nameserver) ns2.discountdomains.co.nz

flerwin.net NS (Nameserver) ns3.discountdomains.co.nz

flerwin.net A (Address) 203.152.109.147

flerwin.net TXT (Text Field)

v=spf1 a mx ~all

flerwin.net MX (Mail Exchanger) Priority: 10 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM

flerwin.net MX (Mail Exchanger) Priority: 20 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM

ns1.discountdomains.co.nz A (Address) 202.174.112.12

ns2.discountdomains.co.nz A (Address) 202.174.117.124

ns3.discountdomains.co.nz A (Address) 202.174.115.134

Dig flerwin.net[at]208.67.220.220 ...

Non-authoritative answer

Recursive queries supported by this server

Query for flerwin.net type=255 class=1

However, a WHOIS seems to point to yet another system/Domain being used;

world-net.co.nz MX (Mail Exchanger) Priority: 10 mail.world-net.co.nz

I'm not going to try to guess at which system might be involved, as it's more than likely neither of the above is the one you're asking about.

hmm

yeah, its not this address thats doing it btw...

this is the scenario of how emails in our situation go:

client (1.1.1.1) -> host provider (2.2.2.2) -> spamcop (3.3.3.3) -> our server (4.4.4.4)

our server (4.4.4.4) went down last night (NZDT), and now 4.4.4.4 is not accessable at all _ie_ ISP has nolonger assigned that IP address anywhere, so SMTP will NOT be working / accepting any emails.

the situation now is:

client (1.1.1.1) -> host provider (2.2.2.2) -> spamcop (3.3.3.3) -> our server (5.5.5.5)

however, the dns entries are still in process of being refresed world wide (takes a cpl hours)... however, my question was... between the time that "our server" changed from 4.4.4.4 to 5.5.5.5 what happened to the emails?

if 4.4.4.4 was not accessable, should they have been bounced back all the way to the client? or, to our provider? or stored on spamcop?

if 4.4.4.4 was not accessable, should they have been bounced back all the way to the client? or, to our provider? or stored on spamcop?

Well, again, not enough data provided for me to try to look anything up. You'll need to contact JT/Trevor directly if you're not going to offer up details here. You'll need to provide them the actual Domain of the MX in question, some sort of time-frame, etc. to help them pinpoint data within the logs of their servers. To answer the question, if the Forward action was attempted and there was no MX server ready to accept the transfer, the e-mail should, in theory, still be sitting on JT's servers, possible in a queue. If that's the case, history would suggest that in a few days, the error messages will eventualy get generated, assumedly being sent back to the 2.2.2.2 system. How those e-mails would be handled would be decided by their configuration.

Well, again, not enough data provided for me to try to look anything up. .... To answer the question, if the Forward action was attempted and there was no MX server ready to accept the transfer, the e-mail should, in theory, still be sitting on JT's servers, possible in a queue. If that's the case, history would suggest that in a few days, the error messages will eventualy get generated, assumedly being sent back to the 2.2.2.2 system. How those e-mails would be handled would be decided by their configuration.

ahh ok...

to be specific the domain in question is mtr.co.nz

the MX for mtr.co.nz is interspeed (which is our hosting provider)... at interspeed, we are doing a forward to our spamcop.net emails (we have 1 for each of our staff) mtr1 -> mtr4

from here, we are forwarding them onto the appropriate [at]filter.mtr.co.nz (which MX is pointing to our servers IP [this is what changed]).

Just an update, just now all the emails are now coming in, so the emails must have been stored _somewhere_ as the dns refreshed on spamcop end im thinking.

Yes, that would fit in with my "held in a queue" scenario ... now that there is an MX responding, queue can now finish up the transfers. Goin to tag this as Resolved.

Archived