IMAP delete/purge

Moderator Edit: Posted into SpamCop Flat-Rate Email Account Setup

This forum is for discussing setting up a new SpamCop Email account. Here, you can find specific information on setting up an email account for various ISP's and email programs.

However, the Post content doesn't match thus description, so moved back into the main E-mail DSystem and Accounts Forum section.

I use IMAP from my iPhone; at home, I use a POP client. If I move something to the Trash folder in IMAP, it appears with a line through it on the webmail client, and it still downloads when I POP with Thunderbird. Is there a way to completely delete the message from my iPhone client, or at least get it completely out of my Inbox, so it doesn't get POPped? If I have to move it to a "dead mail" folder, is there a way to automatically delete the contents of that folder on a daily/weekly basis, or will I have to do it manually?

I use IMAP from my iPhone; at home, I use a POP client. If I move something to the Trash folder in IMAP, it appears with a line through it on the webmail client, and it still downloads when I POP with Thunderbird. Is there a way to completely delete the message from my iPhone client, or at least get it completely out of my Inbox, so it doesn't get POPped? If I have to move it to a "dead mail" folder, is there a way to automatically delete the contents of that folder on a daily/weekly basis, or will I have to do it manually?

As you probably realise this is the way that IMAP is designed to work. Some clients do the delete and purge in one go but many/most do not. So, for example, the SpamCop mobile webmail interface has a 'purge deleted' option. The standard webmail interface has the option to set mail to move to trash instead of being deleted. So all an interface option. Perhaps the iPhone has such options hidden in its configuration.

You could move the items to the Trash folder. You can set the the Trash folder to be purged at a set frequency but this only happens when you login to the standard webmail interface. (options / login tasks )

Andrew

Archived