[Resolved] New Glitch

dra007

We're aware of the problem and I have filed a high priority request for a fix.

Unfortunately, this is an intermittent problem. which makes it *very* hard to find and fix.

I wish I had more for you, but I don't. All we can do is wait.

Sorry.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, this is an intermittent problem. which makes it *very* hard to find and fix.

I've noticed that. At first, 1 report would get hung up and then I'd only see reports hang up if I checked a 'user defined recipient', but now it's affecting random reports that I don't choose any addl recipients.

Thanks. (and thanks to whoever filed it into this forum topic - I had searched for it, but didn't find it, so had opened a new topic).

I didn't read the entire thread (skimmed a couple pages of it) and I also think it is a timing thing, and a "sleep" would fix it, though I have seen long (15 seconds, at least) "timeouts" before it clears.

Moderator Edit: merged this 'new' Topic into the existing Discussion on the same subject. PM sent to advise of this action.

I'm having a problem with the reporting system that seems to be timing related. After processing a piece of pre-submitted spam through the website, I get the 'Unreported spam Saved: Report Now" message and the "Report Now" is shaded to show I've already been t that site before (this is FF). If I click on it, it tells me that the mail has already been reported. What's strange is, if I notice the problem, and refresh the screen, or click on the Report spam tab on the top of the page, I get an updated page with a link to an unprocessed piece of mail (or am told that there is nothing waiting). Is anyone else seeing this?

Never mind, I did not read the "latest and current announcements" and it seems to be a known issue. http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...t&pid=72611

I think this problem is getting worse as it's taken me over half an hour to send about six reports. That 'visited' link just won't go away, often taking six or seven tries to clear it and present a new link ready for reporting.

It's a good job that most of my spam gets quick reported directly from my mail account otherwise I would have given up sending any reports at all. :(

I keep getting those erroneous messages about spam having already been reported.

The trick is to watch the "Report Now" link and make sure it's not colored in a way that says you've already visited it. In Firefox, that would purple-ish vs blue for a new link. I find that either refreshing the page or clicking "Report spam" on the top tab typically solves the problem, although yesterday I had to wait a minute or two for it to clear up.

I don't see in how much this is a "trick". That has the same effect as simply hitting the "Report Now" link and trying the next report if the "already reported" message appears.

If the "Report Now" link is purple, clicking it always brings you to "This spam has already been reported", but if you just refresh the page after waiting a few seconds (or maybe a minute or so in extreme cases), SpamCop will have "realized" that the spam has already been reported, and you'll get either a blue "Report Now" link (to a different spam which isn't yet reported) or no "Report Now" link at all (if you had no other queued spam waiting to be reported).

I don't see in how much this is a "trick". That has the same effect as simply hitting the "Report Now" link and trying the next report if the "already reported" message appears.

If you click on the already submitted spam's link, then you need to scroll down and see that it claims that it already submitted it (and then come here and complain that it's processing the same spam multiple times, when in reality that is not the actual problem). If you just wait until the link is updated, you know that it's going to work.

More of a secret than a trick, if you want.

But the spam has NOT been reported yet, so SpamCop is not supposed to realize anything like this. So refreshing the page causes the unreported spam to disappear, while hitting the "Report Now" link causes it to be skipped. Now where's the difference?

Because I don't think that is what it's doing. It's not skipping it because you process it again. It's just finally getting around to updating the queue to show that the mail has already been processed. If the system is particularly slow, as I saw it was one day last week, it's possible that it would want you to process the same piece of mail a third time. The bottom line is that I strongly doubt that "processing" the mail a second time is what is causing the correct mail to show up. It's a timing issue, and by the time you "process" it again, it's got the correct one at the top of the list.

But the spam has NOT been reported yet, so SpamCop is not supposed to realize anything like this. So refreshing the page causes the unreported spam to disappear, while hitting the "Report Now" link causes it to be skipped. Now where's the difference?

As stated... when the link is showing as you have already been there, it is pointing back to the same message you just reported. Note the URL for each as you report them and the URL for the "old link" and you will see this is the case.

It is the same as receiving the email saying you have emails to report and clicking the same link twice... SpamCop wants to make sure you are not reporting the same spam more than once, so it states "messages have already been sent".

Hitting the "Report spam" tab or refreshing the page simply saves needing to scroll down the screen to get to the next "Report Now" link for each time it pulls up an incorrect next link. I have had times when the link was purple 4 or 5 times before getting a new link. That is a lot of scrolling, especially on my laptop with trackpad.

Status description per R.W. in the newsgroups;

I also just got word this maintenance will not fix the 'unreported spam'

bug/issue. That fix is currently in QA and they expect to hot patch on

Monday to fix that and a couple of other issues.

From the newsgroups

Newsgroups: spamcop

Subject: Re: SpamCop down for maintenance

Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:41:34 -0600

Organization: SpamCop

NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:41:32 +0000 (UTC)

Xref: news.spamcop.net spamcop:171942

...The 'unreported spam' issue should now be fixed.

Let us know if you see otherwise. Thanks,

Richard

Archived