Odd "failed"/"Accepted" notifications, and random mailhost

A week ago, I submitted one of my email addresses to the new mailhost configuration. There is a single MX record for the domain, pointing to a single server, the message went through, and all was good. I then forwarded, as attachment, the response back to the server as directed, and shortly afterwards I got two messages back. The first said "Spamcop account configuration: error", with "Headers not found", which I believe is covered by this, however about 2 seconds later, I then got a message saying the configuration was successful. Looking in the UI showed my mailhost correctly. Why 2 messages?

Today I submitted another mail account, per the documentation, and the same happened again. This time it was with a domain that has multiple MX addresses, and multiple servers. I got the error, and success messages again. Now the even worse event on the second email account being submitted. Out of the two hosts in the MX records, one showed correctly. The second showed a completely different host, which is not reflected in any of the mail headers on the messages I forwarded. In fact, the second host added isn't even hosted by the same provider, nor the same state (or in one case country) as the server involved. Did I somehow manage to hit a bug in SpamCops "randomness" validation strings which caused two hosts to have the same string?

I'll leave the hosts in place if an admin wants to take a look, and I'm more than happy to forward the messages if needed to a SpamCop admin.

Thanks

You've done your research, thanks for that.

...Why 2 messages?
This has happened before - maybe http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4059 answers some questions? That seemed to be specific to Outlook and if you are forwarding Outlook mail for parsing (and I guess, by extension, mailhosting setup) that is a "known problem". Quite simply it doesn't work reliably (notifications are pinned several places - http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10245, etc.).
...Today I submitted another mail account, per the documentation, and the same happened again. This time it was with a domain that has multiple MX addresses, and multiple servers. I got the error, and success messages again. Now the even worse event on the second email account being submitted. Out of the two hosts in the MX records, one showed correctly. The second showed a completely different host, which is not reflected in any of the mail headers on the messages I forwarded. In fact, the second host added isn't even hosted by the same provider, nor the same state (or in one case country) as the server involved. Did I somehow manage to hit a bug in SpamCops "randomness" validation strings which caused two hosts to have the same string?...
I don't know. Sounds like you are clear to try a parse, have you? You could paste a tracking URL here if you are unsure if it is safe (use "full" reporting, not "quick") - just cancel the report first. But it does seem like there is a real concern with continuing reliability of reports.

There have been problems with mail routing traversing more than one domain/overlapping IP address range assignment, that might be another case - though IIRC the hosting process refuses to confirm success with those, but I could be wrong about that. Another thought - mailhosting isn't strictly individual to the member - another member may have the same hosts with different routing in which case you both end up with a sort of "pooled" result. Any of these, if they don't actually recognize and interpret your hosts correctly, need SC Admin or a deputy to fix.

I think you might need to contact Don (contingent on the foregoing), service[at]admin.spamcop.net with the word mailhosts in the subject of your email. It really doesn't sound to me like there is much/anything useful we ordinary members can contribute if the mailhosting is actually wonky or in doubt. It has to be reliable.

The second showed a completely different host, which is not reflected in any of the mail headers on the messages I forwarded. In fact, the second host added isn't even hosted by the same provider, nor the same state (or in one case country) as the server involved. Did I somehow manage to hit a bug in SpamCops "randomness" validation strings which caused two hosts to have the same string?

Mailhosts are shared, so may not look correct and may even be merged between providers because of past actions. That is not as important as having all of your providers information listed. An email to deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net with the subject including mailhost should get someones attention to look at your specific mailhost and see if it can be split out.

shortly afterwards I got two messages back.
That happens sometimes. I don't know why.

The second showed a completely different host
There could be several reasons for that. If you want to send me your login username (email address) I will be happy to look into it for you.

I'll leave the hosts in place
Yes. Please leave the host in place. It won't do any good to delete the host and try again. You will just get the same host again. Plus, if you delete the host, I won't be able to look at it to see if it needs to be cleaned up or something.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Archived