[Resolved] Is cesmail smtp down today?

Steven, thanks for the whack in the head. I remember that Verizon (my ISP) sent out an email that said they were going to block port 25 starting sometime in October. I just finished playing with SSL and couldn't find a port that would get a transaction running so I gave up and went back to vanilla smtp at 587 -- works fine.

Speaking of good ole VZ, I just had my first outgoing spam LART blocked by Verizon's outgoing filters today because it got tagged as spam. I suppose I should appreciate that Verizon is being proactive in blocking outgoing spam, but it rankles a bit that I was trying to report fraud to an outside mail provider and could not do so until I switched to another outgoing address not in the Verizon domain.

Maybe next time this happens I will take them up on their offer of an "appeal" address to which to forward the message -- but, hell, maybe that will get blocked as well!

-- rick

...Maybe next time this happens I will take them up on their offer of an "appeal" address to which to forward the message ...
Hey, that's a useful provision (they actually tell you they've stopped a specific piece of mail?). As I've moaned 'here' before, my ISP uses outgoing filtering too, but just silently drops anything it catches and makes no offer to 'whitelist' the likes of SC submit addresses. Not that I get enough spam for it to be an issue these days. Anyway, your provider's 'appeal' process, if it actually works, seems like a good one. Otherwise, all these disparate anti-spam initiatives tend to be pulling in different directions.

Speaking of good ole VZ, I just had my first outgoing spam LART blocked by Verizon's outgoing filters today because it got tagged as spam. I suppose I should appreciate that Verizon is being proactive in blocking outgoing spam

<snip>

...Good on them.

...They let the spam into their network in the first place? Bad on them! :) <g>

Archived