rackspace keeps emailing me

geogeo

i signed up to test that mosso stuff, didn't like it.. they kept sending me emails so i decided, rackspace? i could afford to click the unsubscribe link and know i wont get any more emails.. it's been a year and i get an email every two weeks.. and i do forward them to abuse and spam, i just get a response back with a ticket number, never a response.

i lately received another sales email from a live person, responded upset.. no answer back, i forwarded my previous email with a few words about his mother and he responded saying he's sorry and he's removed me.. and i just got another sales email.

on the other hand, it has been almost two weeks since the first guy responded to my email, so maybe i haven't gotten off the list.. but the point is i dont care, i need to complain and get suggestions.

unfortunately this email is going to my old isp account and not my mail server where i have gladly blacklisted all of rackspace for all my users.

these people obviously do not care.

...Their web site has a phone number. Not that you're obligated to do so but ... did you try there?

i'm afraid i will say things i'd rather not have recorded over the phone.

so you suggest i call but why should i have to call after all the attempts that i've asked them through email, isn't that redundant ?

i'm afraid i will say things i'd rather not have recorded over the phone.

so you suggest i call but why should i have to call after all the attempts that i've asked them through email, isn't that redundant ?

Sometimes it works. Be polite, if you do make contact - rudeness is counter-productive, no matter how much it might seem deserved (and any individuals you might speak to certainly don't deserve it - they will be the ones trying to help you).

Sometimes it's a waste of time. But you can't know that without giving it a go.

• 2 years later...

Came upon this thread via search...

Would forum regulars consider Rackspace to be a particularly responsive/unresponsive ISP when it comes to SC spam notices? I get quite a lot of spam from senders using their systems (or at least that is what the SC parsing of headers tells me), but it seems that the spam just keeps on coming. There are a few regular spammers in particular that I see in my inbox on a weekly or more basis... "real" companies that have ignored unsubscribes (or have broken unsubscribe mechanisms). The story I've built in my head is that Rackspace is more concerned with revenue from their customers than requiring that they behave appropriately. I have no significant set of facts to support that story... it's just what I built in my head. So... is Rackspace a reasonably good Internet citizen? Or???

Interesting question - they certainly talk like a responsible net citizen and their services apparently and deliberately exclude some of the more exploitable abuse technologies and implementations (supposedly operating on a "medium trust" level of customers, rather than "full trust"). Do you have your "Preferences" (tab) "Report Handling Options" (page link) "Report reply handling" (item) reporting profile set to "Forward replies from people and robots" (selection) so you receive any/all responses from them?

I would expect them to take reports seriously and to at least autorespond. But the translation of that into stamping on transgressions (as they might define them, which is the independent test - noting Spammers lie), that is the matter in question, certainly regarding their "Email Marketing Solutions" products - http://www.rackspace.com/apps/email_marketing_solutions/ - which I guess is the area we're talking about.

Any other reporters seeing apparent "heedlessness" to SC reports by Rackspace? Anecdotes are a starting point but to progress to actual evidence, some instances of repeated. continuing spamming by individual Rackspace customers with apparent immunity to consequence would be needed to make a call on their comparative blackhat/whitehat behaviour. I suspect they're "okay" but easy for me to say when it requires the hard work of other reporters to disprove it.

I have clients who use Rackspace for their SaaS offerings. They are locked down tight in my not-so-humble opinion. They also provide customers with an opt-in email service, so they are motivated to keep their IPs clean. I would call them, particularly if I am receiving a newsletter signed by a single individual; it could be a renegade sales person still emailing as bcc's.

By the way, I spent some time trying to find a newsletter signup anywhere on rackspace.com to no avail.

Archived