allstate.com

I have my SpamCop email address listed on my Allstate Insurance profile but I have never received a single message from them to my SC mailbox.

The messages are not going to held mail so I'm thinking their mail server has the spamcop.net domain blocked.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Michael Golden

...I'm thinking their mail server has the spamcop.net domain blocked.

I can't recall anything specific to Allstate Insurance (nor does a search of these forums pick it up) but it certainly can happen. You need to contact them and request an explanation. I can imagine some people being reluctant to send to a SC address for fear of being reported. They may have even been the subject of a 'bad report' or two in the past (not understanding that they can resolve such quite easily and SC Admin will ensure the reporter responsible doesn't re-offend).

Unless someone else has some specific information about Allstate that they care to add, get in touch with them and see what they have to say. If they are refusing to send then there are bound to be numerous solutions to resolve the impasse.

Unless someone else has some specific information about Allstate that they care to add, get in touch with them and see what they have to say. If they are refusing to send then there are bound to be numerous solutions to resolve the impasse.

Thanks.

I, too, had searched and not found anything.

I'll try contacting them.

The messages are not going to held mail so I'm thinking their mail server has the spamcop.net domain blocked.

Yes, there are others. I recall a Discussion over in the IPB support Forum in which someone asked/pointed out how 'stupid' it would be to have any kind of Domain address include the word "spam" .... I repled with a list of several anti-spam sites and tools that did just that. But the bottom line was that there are folks out there that block/filter anything with the word 'spam' involved, assumedly, some of those decisions based on the ancient guarantee of a spam e-mail containing the phrase "this is not spam."

Also noting that JT offers serveral addresses available at the time of setting up your e-mail account, for instance, cesmail.net is one of the alternatives to spamcop.net.

But the bottom line was that there are folks out there that block/filter anything with the word 'spam' involved, assumedly, some of those decisions based on the ancient guarantee of a spam e-mail containing the phrase "this is not spam."

If that's the case probably be a good idea to shop around for someone competent

I've used SpamCop as my primary address since well into last millennium

I have had rare problems with some not being able to deal with greylisting however whitelisting overcomes this, the problem here has been that some sites do not post under their domain name

I also use gmail for my first contact address as well as for "specials" like cars, travel,ect as I don't like getting bothered on my main email

• 1 month later...
I have my SpamCop email address listed on my Allstate Insurance profile but I have never received a single message from them to my SC mailbox.

I'm still dealing with allstate.com

The Allstate customer service representatives are able to email me at my [at]spamcop.net email address. They have two email systems as evidenced by customers having to enter their email address in two separate areas on their web site - one in the customer user profile and one in their eBill billing system.

At this point I've changed my email address, in both locations, to my wife's [at]cqmail.net email address. Still no joy. And the messages are not going in the held mail folder either.

I'll notify this group if I find out anything further.

At this point I've changed my email address, in both locations, to my wife's [at]cqmail.net email address. Still no joy. And the messages are not going in the held mail folder either.

Thanks for returning with an update. It looks as if it is a problem with the Allstate service ;) . Certainly since your wife's Email address is suffering the same issue it would appear not to be a Spamcop Email service issue.

Andrew

I'll notify this group if I find out anything further.

Two things of note at present:

The eBill system Allstate uses appears to be handled by eGain (.com?)

I received an "Automobile policy declarations online" notice to my wife's [at]cqmail.net address on Sunday 2/28.

• 1 month later...
Two things of note at present:

The eBill system Allstate uses appears to be handled by eGain (.com?)

I received an "Automobile policy declarations online" notice to my wife's [at]cqmail.net address on Sunday 2/28.

The Allstate problem with my spamcop.net address remains unsolved.

I logged into my Bank Of America CC account today and saw the following:

"Our attempts to deliver your alerts to munged[at]spamcop.net have been unsuccessful. Either this e-mail address is not correct or the mailbox is full. Please verify the accuracy of this e-mail address so that we can resume your Online Banking Alerts service. You can correct any errors by clicking the Edit this e-mail address link."

So, I've got Allstate and BOA both unable to send email to me.

...So, I've got Allstate and BOA both unable to send email to me.
That's inexplicable to me (on the outside looking in). And insufferable for you. The nearest thing to an upside is that with two sources the opportunity to track down what is happening has at least doubled.

In general - an email address with 'spam' in it is something of liability these days. There are other domains available from the SC email service. No single email address is going to deliver 100% reliability. All of which ignores the fact that nobody should be refusing service to anybody, based purely on their email address.

To any others viewing - are there other BOA customers having trouble with SC addresses? Are there any who are not?

There are other domains available from the SC email service. No single email address is going to deliver 100% reliability.

Catch is that the user has stated that both addresses were changed to one of the alternative Domains (cqmail) However, now there's a bit of a disconnect as one user states no problem whereas the Topic starter says it didn't help. Something not quite in tune st this point.

Catch is that the user has stated that both addresses were changed to one of the alternative Domains (cqmail) However, now there's a bit of a disconnect as one user states no problem whereas the Topic starter says it didn't help. Something not quite in tune st this point.

At this point, 1. Allstate billing email to my wife's cqmail.net address works. 2. Allstate billing email to my spamcop.net address does not work. 3. BOA says they're having trouble delivering to my spamcop.net address.

At this point, 1. Allstate billing email to my wife's cqmail.net address works. 2. Allstate billing email to my spamcop.net address does not work. 3. BOA says they're having trouble delivering to my spamcop.net address.

Hi! Sorry to hear that your problems continue...

Unfortunately the information you're able to offer isn't much upon which to base a diagnosis :(

When you first raised the issue it seemed that Email to your wife's cqmail.net address was equally affected but now I see that you're getting the messages into that mailbox.

Could Bank of America be more forthcoming about what they mean by 'having trouble delivering...'? That might help with a diagnosis.

In the meantime I don't think anyone has asked whether you have grey-listing enabled in your spamcop.net Email account. If you do then I'd be inclined to turn it off and see whether the messages arrive. Allstate and BOA may not retry delivery and that would fall foul of grey-listing if it is enabled.

Of course disabling grey-listing may mean you receive much more junk in your mailbox but if it resolves the problem then that may be a price you're prepared to pay.

But really this is a stab in the dark since you cannot access the sending log files to see what is actually happening.

Alternatively you could create an account on a free Email service such as Gmail. Have your Allstate and BOA stuff sent there. Then either read it from that location or have your Spamcop POP the Gmail account.

Andrew

Could Bank of America be more forthcoming about what they mean by 'having trouble delivering...'? That might help with a diagnosis.

In the meantime I don't think anyone has asked whether you have grey-listing enabled in your spamcop.net Email account. If you do then I'd be inclined to turn it off and see whether the messages arrive. Allstate and BOA may not retry delivery and that would fall foul of grey-listing if it is enabled.

Of course disabling grey-listing may mean you receive much more junk in your mailbox but if it resolves the problem then that may be a price you're prepared to pay.

I do not now nor ever had gray-listing enabled.

The IP address of the Allstate billing server is [12.130.136.168].

With no logs from either Allstate or BOA's servers, diagnosing the problem is indeed nearly impossible.

I do not now nor ever had gray-listing enabled.

The IP address of the Allstate billing server is [12.130.136.168].

OK, I was hoping that the grey-listing idea might have been an easy resolution but, sadly, not...

I just rechecked the block list and see that the Allstate IP you have given has been the subject of a small number (4) of reports by users in the past month or so. But as you know by now there's no evidence that the IP has actually been listed.

I can only suggest the approach in my previous post of using an intermediate or alternative mailbox until such time as the solution is identified.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Andrew

I just rechecked the block list and see that the Allstate IP you have given has been the subject of a small number (4) of reports by users in the past month or so. But as you know by now there's no evidence that the IP has actually been listed.

12.130.136.168 the emails do look like phishing attempts

I would guess that they send their spam/advertising to only non-Spamcop accounts rather than deal with their obvious problem. It won't stop people reporting though

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another system rejecting spamcop.net mail. The next to the last line is the one of significance. I will try working with the postmaster to get the problem resolved. :(

Return-Path: <>

Delivered-To: spamcop-net-munged[at]spamcop.net

Received: (qmail 2909 invoked from network); 30 Apr 2010 16:08:39 -0000

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.2.4 (2008-01-01) on filter7

X-spam-Level: *

X-spam-Status: hits=1.8 tests=FUZZY_CPILL,MIME_QP_LONG_LINE version=3.2.4

Received: from unknown (192.168.1.88)

by filter7.cesmail.net with QMQP; 30 Apr 2010 16:08:39 -0000

Received: from ingdesmtppsob.ingdirect.com (63.113.210.203)

by mxin1.cesmail.net with SMTP; 30 Apr 2010 16:10:01 -0000

Received: from ingdexweb.ingdirect.com (unverified [10.152.6.234]) by INGDESMTPPSOB.ingdirect.com

(Clearswift SMTPRS 5.2.9) with ESMTP id <T955b0719340a981817fcc[at]INGDESMTPPSOB.ingdirect.com> for <munged[at]spamcop.net>;

Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:08:38 -0400

To: munged[at]spamcop.net

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:08:33 -0400

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status;

boundary="9B095B5ADSN=_01CAE14A895085A800001D99ingdexweb.ingdir"

X-DSNContext: 7ce717b1 - 1194 - 00000002 - 00000000

Message-ID: <cOV1EetVo00000de3[at]ingdexweb.ingdirect.com>

Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

X-CFilter-Loop: Reflected

X-SpamCop-Checked: 63.113.210.203

This is a MIME-formatted message.

Portions of this message may be unreadable without a MIME-capable mail program.

--9B095B5ADSN=_01CAE14A895085A800001D99ingdexweb.ingdir

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=unicode-1-1-utf-7

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

sb.customercare[at]talismaonline.com

--9B095B5ADSN=_01CAE14A895085A800001D99ingdexweb.ingdir

Content-Type: message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns;ingdexweb.ingdirect.com

Received-From-MTA: dns;pd3wsms002

Arrival-Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:08:29 -0400

Final-Recipient: rfc822;sb.customercare[at]talismaonline.com

Action: failed

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 5.7.1 This system has been configured to reject your mail (B)

X-Display-Name: sb.customercare

mgolden, this last item doesn't seem to be the same type of problem--you tried sending something to customer service and it bounced. (But along those lines, I have found that AVG--the anti-virus folks--won't even allow me to register my SpamCop address. Their registration form rejects it, saying it isn't a valid address. So I have to use an alternative one.)

On the OP, I just got an email from a professional organization I belong to, saying their "service to deliver newsletters and calendars to our members" has reported that it cannot get through to my SpamCop address. I have asked them for more information, and I will let you know if they can send me any bounce messages or anything else indicating that their messages didn't get through.

It will be very disturbing to me if SpamCop is flat-out blocking/bouncing messages from anywhere. I expect everything sent to my address to show up in my Inbox or Held Mail. Nothing should bounce.

(I, too, am not using and never have used greylisting.)

mgolden, this last item doesn't seem to be the same type of problem--you tried sending something to customer service and it bounced. (But along those lines, I have found that AVG--the anti-virus folks--won't even allow me to register my SpamCop address. Their registration form rejects it, saying it isn't a valid address. So I have to use an alternative one.)

On the OP, I just got an email from a professional organization I belong to, saying their "service to deliver newsletters and calendars to our members" has reported that it cannot get through to my SpamCop address. I have asked them for more information, and I will let you know if they can send me any bounce messages or anything else indicating that their messages didn't get through.

Interesting. So your saying the professional organization CAN deliver email to you but their newsletter service CAN'T. That sounds quite similar to the problem I'm having with allstate.com.

And, no, the goobers in Allstate "customer service" talked like they were going to be all over this problem until it was fixed and I've never heard anything further from them about it.

Interesting. So your saying the professional organization CAN deliver email to you but their newsletter service CAN'T. That sounds quite similar to the problem I'm having with allstate.com.

Yes, that's what they're saying. In response to my query, they said:

Constant Contact gives me the message that your e-mail is Non-existent, but that is all it gives me. Sometimes it does provide more information, but not for your e-mail address. It is possible that Constant Contact is automatically flagged from distribution at spamcop.net and therefore refusing to deliver any of our newsletters, calendars, ballots, ect. to you.

I wonder if anyone here knows whether Constant Contact is boycotting SpamCop addresses?

I will try to look into this further myself.

Yes, that's what they're saying. In response to my query, they said:

I wonder if anyone here knows whether Constant Contact is boycotting SpamCop addresses?

I will try to look into this further myself.

Probably list-washing Constant Contact is a email marketing company

A lot of these will not post to anything with the word spam in the "name"

I wonder if they list wash Gmail? Gmail won't even say if they are blocked or reported

Shortly the only email service may well only be through and from Gmail

Probably list-washing Constant Contact is a email marketing company

A lot of these will not post to anything with the word spam in the "name"

I wonder if they list wash Gmail? Gmail won't even say if they are blocked or reported

Shortly the only email service may well only be through and from Gmail

Precisely. I just called Constant Contact and their support rep confirmed that any email address with the string "spam" in it is automatically rejected on their end. She said she would pass my disapproving comments up the chain, but there isn't much hope for change.

I suppose they have had some bad experience with email addresses that folks invented to trap spam or something, but in general it seems like a meaningless policy. For instance, I have an email address I use when I expect it to be harvested by spammers and it doesn't have "spam" anywhere in it. I think they're more likely to be caught out by spam trap addresses that they miss than by addresses with "spam" in them. Or maybe there's another reason I'm not thinking of.

I have a feeling it is the same problem at Allstate and BoA.

Anyway, I suppose I (and probably mgolden, too) will have to submit to the inevitable and create a freemail address that gets forwarded to the SpamCop address for services like Constant Contact.

:angry:

Precisely. I just called Constant Contact and their support rep confirmed that any email address with the string "spam" in it is automatically rejected on their end. She said she would pass my disapproving comments up the chain, but there isn't much hope for change.

Anyway, I suppose I (and probably mgolden, too) will have to submit to the inevitable and create a freemail address that gets forwarded to the SpamCop address for services like Constant Contact.

[at]MyNameHere - Thanks for following up on this.

(Rant) Where the heck is JT? What the heck is he doing that's so important he can't monitor these forums and lend assistance? (End Rant)

[at]MyNameHere - Thanks for following up on this.

(Rant) Where the heck is JT? What the heck is he doing that's so important he can't monitor these forums and lend assistance? (End Rant)

You're welcome.

I expect JT has a lot to do in addition to running the SpamCop email service. Just a guess. Still, I really think the user community deserves more attention and recognition (for instance, a link to the forums from the webmail site). But we're touching on another topic here.

<_<

I think the issue is that these forums are not seen as 'official' support space for either the reporting or Email services that bear the SpamCop name.

The reporting folk occasionally drop by and offer advice and from time to time the Email side folk have pitched up.

The Email side has a 'Problem' button where issues can be raised and these do seem to get resolved.

It would be great to see official support provided here routinely but I guess that would take an official decision within both of the SC services.

Andrew

Archived