cannot IMAP certain folder of previous provider

efa

hi,

I had two provider email account.

Both already filter spam and put most of that in "spam" folder of IMAP server.

One account let forward the "Inbox" emails to Spamcop.

The other do not let forward emails, so I had to use the POP from Spamcop.

Seems that in no way I can automatically send spam in IMAP "spam" folder to Spamcop.

Is it right?

Seems that in no way I can automatically send spam in IMAP "spam" folder to Spamcop.

Is it right?

The word 'automatically' carries a lot of baggage. What is your definition of that word in this case? Just noting that in the past, a number of folks that found a way to 'automatically submit' their spam then followed up with the question "Why was my Account blocked/cancelled/put on hold/whatever?"

Have you looked at or seen the VER - Very Easy Reporting reporting mode? Quick Reporting

automatically send spam in IMAP "spam" folder to Spamcop.
That depends entirely on your email provider. Maybe you can get them to stop filtering your spam so all your email will go to your Inbox.

SpamCop cannot collect mail from your "spam" folder. It can only collect email from your Inbox.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Maybe you can get them to stop filtering your spam so all your email will go to your Inbox
My ISP has a setting for this, reachable when I log in to their webmail site. I turned off their spam filtering because I am forwarding all mail from that mailbox to SpamCop; seems to work well. Of course, I am forwarding the mail rather than using IMAP or POP from the SpamCop end.

-- rick

I just checked, both provider do not let disable the spam filter.

My desire for "automatically" is:

spamcop every 20 minutes, fetch the spam from "spam" folder

The fetch part can be something like:

$ fetchmail -v -v -k -t 20 -p IMAP -r [Gmail]/spam -u <userEmail> --ssl --invisible --bsmtp fetchedFolder.txt imap.gmail.com

where "[Gmail]/spam" is spam folder path/name

Just noting that in the past, a number of folks that found a way to 'automatically submit' their spam then followed up with the question "Why was my Account blocked/cancelled/put on hold/whatever?"

What happened that required account blocking?

What happened that required account blocking
...Since I'm only another user, like you, I have no way of knowing but one possible reason is a violation of the rules. See "SpamCop FAQ" (to which there is a link near top left of every SpamCop Forum Page) entry labeled "-----> What if I break the rule(s)?" It is expected that those of us using the SpamCop tool to report spam on our behalf carefully inspect each e-mail we are reporting to ensure it really is spam and also to review the list of e-mail addresses to which the SpamCop parser offers to send complaints. Automated tools are unlikely to be able to do this as well as a careful, conscientious real person.

any workaround that let me automatically send the spams in spam folder to Spamcop?

Do not tell me that I payed to do the reporting by hand please ;-)

Sorry, but...

The only submission method available to email holders that is not available for free is submitting messages from the Held Mail folder of your spamcop account. If you have IMAP access to the spam folder at the other account, you could use an IMAP client to transfer the messages to the SpamCop Held Mail folder, perhaps even by rules in that client. The SpamCop webmail client can not do that for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I readed that using POP for letting SC get all the mail+spam from the old account, I had to NOT set the option "leave message on server", or this can lead in confusion.

I'm interested in exactly what happen to email+spam that SC POP to my new mailbox.

1 - I imagine that the mail are parsed to identify and separate spams

2 - normal email are left in Inbox folder on the SC mailbox

3 - mail identified as spam are automatically passed to the spam parser (do like manual parsing), and complaint are automatically sent

4.1 - spam mail are deleted

4.2 - spam mail are archived in a particular folder of the new SC Imap account

In particular I'm unsure on step 4.

1 - I imagine that the mail are parsed to identify and separate spams

2 - normal email are left in Inbox folder on the SC mailbox

3 - mail identified as spam are automatically passed to the spam parser (do like manual parsing), and complaint are automatically sent

4.1 - spam mail are deleted

4.2 - spam mail are archived in a particular folder of the new SC Imap account

Your steps 1 and 2 are correct but 3 and 4 are not correct.

More correct would be

3. spam is held in the held mail folder so that the user can check for any that are incorrectly marked as spam and those that are spam can be submitted manually to the parser.

4. Reported spam is moved to the trash folder which is purged after the time defined in the SC Mail configuration

The point about reporting manually is that it is the users responsibility to ensure that reports are only correctly submitted and a completely automated process would prevent such checks being made.

Andrew

I'm testing the download and spam rating/recognition of my new payed spamcop account.

- I moved all messages from Inbox to a subfolder of my gmail account.

- Then I put 250 fresh spam mail from spam to Inbox (are spam of the last 15 days)

- Then I set the POP of the Gmail Inbox from "SpamCop Tools/Configure external POP servers."

After 20 minutes I received 60 loop messages, then I deleted the POP settings.

The messages report the looped email. Are email of 2007-2009, so for sure:

- are not the messages in the Inbox

- are messages in other subfolders on my Gmail account, some in Sent folder, some in spam folder, some in other foder.

Why Spamcop get those messages?

Why Spamcop get those messages?

I don't see any way to guess without access to both of your accounts so it can be researched directly. My alternate question ... have you looked at any of the Reporting from GMail entries in the How to use .... Forum section? Have you looked at the Wiki? The copy/move to Held folder, then Report action seems functional for others.

Archived