What is this?

I have received the following ... and didn't dare touch it. I want to delete it ... but will wait for your insight..

Subject: A new settings file for the btl[at]spamcop.net has just be released

Dear use of the spamcop.net mailing service!

We are informing you that because of the security upgrade of the mailing service your

mailbox btl[at]spamcop.net settings were changed. In order to apply the new set of settings

open attached file.

Best regards, spamcop.net Technical Support.

Thanks!!! :)

I have received the following ... and didn't dare touch it. I want to delete it ... but will wait for your insight..
Just another phish but using an attachment, perhaps viral. Report it through SpamCop if you can. Otherwise delete it. If know how to do it safely, send the attachment (without opening it) to VirusTotal so any usable "signature" gets spread through the AV providers to update their definitions. If you're not confident with either action don't try it.

The topmost forum announcement warns that phishing attempts are current on SC mail accounts. http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10777 warns about HTML attachments as a "nastier than most" type of attachment.

Your instincts are good. Don't open any attachment, ever, unless you are certain about it. Don't click any supplied link, ever, unless you are certain about it. I would add, don't even open an email unless you are certain about it. You can "View message source" safely, one way or another, with all mail clients and (for webmail) browsers. Or you can report it and see what the SC report looks like. You can cancel the report if it turns out not to be spam.

Your first instincts are correct, delete the email, do not open the attachment.

There are 2 clues in the first line

Dear use of the spamcop.net mailing service!

1. if you have a spamcop account, they know your name.

2. Your English teacher would have told you it should read "Dear User"

Just another phish but using an attachment, perhaps viral. Report it through SpamCop if you can. Otherwise delete it. If know how to do it safely, send the attachment (without opening it) to VirusTotal so any usable "signature" gets spread through the AV providers to update their definitions. If you're not confident with either action don't try it.

I've forwarded it to VirusTotal and also reported it as spam to Spamcop before deleting it.

Thank you very much!

You're insight has been very appreciated! B)

Your first instincts are correct, delete the email, do not open the attachment.

There are 2 clues in the first line

1. if you have a spamcop account, they know your name.

2. Your English teacher would have told you it should read "Dear User"

So true! I had not noticed these details.

Thank you very much! Your insight has been very appreciated! B)

Archived