Mail host setup problem

Hi,

Registered for mailhosts. See only SpamCop in the list of mailhosts. Added my mail address to the list, got email with instructions, replied to that email as instructed, but nothing happened. My email host did not appear in the lists of hosts. When I try to report spam, spamcop says my provider is spammer.

Solution?

Registered for mailhosts. See only SpamCop in the list of mailhosts. Added my mail address to the list, got email with instructions, replied to that email as instructed, but nothing happened. My email host did not appear in the lists of hosts. When I try to report spam, spamcop says my provider is spammer.
Please follow Ellen's advice.

Well, I've tried to use this mailhost setup, but it's just not working :(

Something is wonked somewhere, as I have 2 domains I accept mail for. Domain A is my primary domain, and according to the response message was successfully configured. Domain B is my work domain, where I have several addresses that I get spam at. Domain B has returned success messages as well, but the Mailhosts page still only shows one email address configured. So here are my stupid questions :D

1 - Does the mailhost have to be configured for each email address, or each domain?

2 - If more than one domain is set up will it show up with multiple mailhosts in the Mailhost name line, or will it just show the first one.

3a - I'm not forwarding mail anywhere... does it matter in what order I put in the mailhosts, as my two domains aren't related in that way.

3b - Though I'm not forwarding mail anywhere, Domain A's mail hits Domain B's MX servers first for SpamAssassin filtering... will this cause a problem or cause me to order the mailhosts differently?

Lastly a comment. Judging by reading this thread, this appears to have been a good idea, but there are so many unique configurations out there that can wonk the system that it may not be able to be automated :unsure:

Like several other people have reported, I configured mailhosts for several domains, received the magic emails, sent them back as requested, and then heard nothing more, and nothing appeared on my list of mailhosts beyond the basic spamcop servers.

Andrew Ward

Like several other people have reported, I configured mailhosts for several domains, received the magic emails, sent them back as requested, and then heard nothing more, and nothing appeared on my list of mailhosts beyond the basic spamcop servers.

Today (last night) I got my first reply, I forwarded the wrong header/email.

I repeated the procedure this evening and it took upto 2-3 hours for the message to process after sending the attachment back.

EDIT:

The next address took only a few minutes to process... I hope it's not done manually by Julian :unsure: but that would explain the delay.

I started basic setup of the mailhosts, but I cannot report spam because the parser cannot determine a source IP address. It gives the error message "Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts" even though the host listed in the received line is actually one listed in the hosts/domains in the mailhosts config. See:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z368706194ze5...b79c23e3d6815az

edit: Seems to be working now. Thanks!

After sending the test Email I got two confirmations (success and error) at the same time... A bit confusing, but I think the mailhost was registered correctly and the error-message was in error :-)

I just paste the headers in case you want to track this (probable) bug:

To: **me**

Subject: Spamcop account configuration: success

Precedence: list

Message-ID: <<xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>[at]msgid.spamcop.net>

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:17:00 GMT

To: **me**

Subject: Spamcop account configuration: error

Message-ID: <<xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>[at]msgid.spamcop.net>

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:17:00 GMT

(Error message: Sorry, source IP not found.)

Lukas

I seem to have gotten into using the beta software by accident. I will live with it, but I am having problems with some of my accounts.

The account sales[at]fircrestwa.com can process email normally sent. Using your testing scri_pt, so far I have gotten no mx record and the host is down. I am pretty sure neither of these are true. The hoster is lsrehosting. Note that sales[at]fircresttimes.com on the same box first failed silently, and then worked fine. And sales[at]fircrestbookstore.com on the same hosting firm but a different box worked fine.

I have a couple other web sites at another hosting firm and they both fail silently. So it seems there are a few issues to be worked out and it appears that it will require interaction between my different vendors.

Please advise.

The account sales[at]fircrestwa.com can process email normally sent.  Using your testing scri_pt, so far I have gotten no mx record and the host is down.

There is a problem with mail.fircrestwa.com AKA slash.lrsehosting.com (slash.geekizoid.com [69.55.238.52]) accepting mail for sales[at]fircrestwa.com at this time:

03/27/04 13:06:01 SMTP Verify sales[at]fircrestwa.com, at mail.fircrestwa.com

Contacting 69.55.238.52

220 slash.lrsehosting.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8p1/8.11.6; Sat, 27 Mar 2004 10:06:06 -0800 (PST)

HELO sneakemail.com

250 slash.lrsehosting.com Hello 24-168-159-11.nj.rr.com [24.168.159.11], pleased to meet you

VRFY sales[at]fircrestwa.com

252 2.5.2 Cannot VRFY user; try RCPT to attempt delivery (or try finger)

EXPN sales[at]fircrestwa.com

502 5.7.0 Sorry, we do not allow this operation

Doesn't want to talk to us

RSET

250 2.0.0 Reset state

MAIL FROM:<x[at]sneakemail.com>

250 2.1.0 <x[at]sneakemail.com>... Sender ok

RCPT TO:<sales[at]fircrestwa.com>

550 5.7.1 <sales[at]fircrestwa.com>... Relaying denied

Doesn't want to talk to us

RSET

250 2.0.0 Reset state

QUIT

221 2.0.0 slash.lrsehosting.com closing connection

Please look into it. Thanks!

Fastmail problems again... "Headers not found." via forward-as-attachment (which works for spam submissions) and via Fastmail's web interface.

Could it be that the mailhost configuration expects a Received: line with the domain of the final recipient? This does not exist in fastmail, e.g.

Return-Path: &lt;service[at]admin.spamcop.net&gt;
Received: from frontend1.messagingengine.com (mysql.internal
	[10.202.2.150]) by server2.fastmail.fm (Cyrus v2.2.3) with LMTP; Sun, 28
	Mar 2004 22:15:38 -0500
X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 2.2
X-spam-score: 2.2
X-spam-hits: BAYES_44, FORGED_MUA_MOZILLA, FROM_HAS_MIXED_NUMS, OACYS_HASH
X-Resolved-to: [snip][at]eml.cc
X-Delivered-to: [snip][at]eml.cc
X-Mail-from: service[at]admin.spamcop.net
Received: from spamcop.net (victor1.ironport.com [206.14.107.102]) by
	smtp.us.messagingengine.com (Postfix) with SMTP id 2DE358A969D for
	&lt;[snip][at]eml.cc&gt;; Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:15:37 -0500 (EST)
X-Remote-SpamCop-Conf: [snip]
X-Remote-SpamCop-Test1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p
	q r s t u v w x y z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Received: from [127.0.0.1, 18.42.1.163] by spamcop.net with HTTP; Mon, 29
	Mar 2004 03:15:37 GMT
To: [snip]
Subject: SpamCop account configuration email
Message-ID: &lt;&lt;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;[at]msgid.spamcop.net&gt;
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 03:15:37 GMT
X-Mailer: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4)
	Gecko/20030612 via http://www.spamcop.net/ v1.3.4
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hello SpamCop user,

This email contains special codes and tracking information to help SpamCop
figure out your specific email configuration.  Do not post this email in
public.  It contains confidential information related to the security of
your SpamCop account.

Please return this complete email, preserving full headers and the special
tracking codes below.  Forwarding as an attachment is the preferred 
method.  Forward it to this address:

[snip]

Alternately, you may create a new message and paste this email into it.  
Address the message to:

[snip]

Special codes follow:
################################################################
X-SpamCop-Mx: smtp.us2.messagingengine.com.
X-SpamCop-Mx-Ip: 66.111.4.20
X-SpamCop-Mh-Name: fastmail.fm
X-SpamCop-Recip: [snip][at]eml.cc
X-SpamCop-Unixtime: 1080530136
X-SpamCop-Conf: [snip]
X-SpamCop-Randomness: &lt;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;
X-SpamCop-Hash: &lt;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;
################################################################

spamcop.net,Mar 29 2004, 10:09 PM]my mailhosts ([...] fastmail [...]) all appear to be registered and my traces look ok to me.

May I ask whether you have a fastmail email address in the fastmail.fm domain or use a different domain from their list? Or your own domain?

Thanks,

Hein

oh.... my mailhosts appear to have fallen off

as I had a waiver I wouldn't have deleted them, but they seem to have gone. should i resubmit, or should i leave things alone so people can try to work out why?

For users with multiple accounts, the proceedure is slightly more difficult. For example, a user with two forwarding addresses configured to forward to one email account should first configure the main account, then configure each of the forwarding accounts:

Hi,

I can't get any mailhosts added. I've always received "SpamCop account configuration email" very fast, but when I forward it as an attachment or send as source nothing happens (meaning no confirmation of any sort nor mailhosts being added).

Normal behaviour or something missing or not working?

I follow proceedures but my mailhosts are not being added  :(

Write to deputies[at]spamcop.net and include your registered SC email address and as much info as you have about what you are trying to add and what is happening -- i.e. are you getting the probes? how are you trying to return them? etc

I tried to set up mailhosts yesterday. The first one worked fine, the next couple I set up didn't seem to come through. I received the test emails and forwarded it (redirect using the webmail interface), but they don't appear in the list.

Also, the documentation mentioned I wouldn't be able to use the quick report feature for a while, but I could immediately, so I was wondering if it actually works?

Last thing, is there no tech support email for these kind of issues anymore? :unsure:

Cheers,

Dries.

Please send your registered SpamCop name and a problem description to deputies <at> spamcop.net I just tried redirecting a message from my cesmail account to another acccount and inspected the headers and the original headers while they were present were not in a format that I am sure that the mailhosts logic can handle. I have a question in to Julian about this.

What I find to work for spamcop webmail is this:

1. open the email in webmail.

2. Click message source in the nav bar above the message -- this pops up a window with the complete headers and message body

3. click compose in the top nav bar

4. copy/paste everything from the message source window into the compose window message text area.

5. copy/paste the special email address from the body text into the TO field

I will post when I get an answer from Julian re the redirect.

I wonder if some one can explain this message which now comes out with every

Spamcop quick reporting data

SpamCop.net

Here are the results of your submission:

Processing spam:

Subject: arabic

error:You have failed to configure your own mail host, from which you pop mail

Mailhost: ( xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Please correct this situation - register every email address where you receive spam

As far as I know I have registered my two email addresses that I want checking for spam!

Cheers

OK, I resisted the mailhost garbage for a while because the directions kept insisting on *email addresses* (PLEASE FIX THIS!!!) Like others, I use many domains with catchall accounts. Some forward directly to SpamCop, ohers go to my inbox.

Once I figured out mailhosts were really what they implied (despite the misleading description) I sent my messages to the two hosts most likely to have spam reporting.

So far so good. Bad news comes from spam forwarded to SpamCop that didn't get trapped. I use fetchmail to get new messages from my SpamCop inbox. I tried to report said spam and got above error.

Easy answer: let me SPECIFY my mail hosts!!!! I'm not an f'n idiot. I can type in the IP addresses of relays. I understand that SC has to allow for the morons who use AOL, but PLEASE let the advanced users not get SCREWED!!!

So, I need to add either 127.0.0.1 (good luck?) or my external address that corresponds to my ISP account. I knew the damn mailhost wasn't thought through, but I figured I'd give it a try finally.

P.S. Sorry if this has been covered. I'm new to the ****** web forums; used to NNTP.

Followup to my last message:

It's not just my "special setup" that causes problems. I just got an error because some bigpond mta delivered the spam to me. How is that a mailhost config problem?

Return-Path: <inter.global[at]bigpond.com>

Received: from mta09ps.bigpond.com (mta09ps.bigpond.com [144.135.25.173])

by mymailserver (8.11.6/8.11.6) with ESMTP id i3LGTXo03760

for <x>; Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:29:36 -0400

Received: from lerc-daemon.mta09ps.email.bigpond.com by

mta09ps.email.bigpond.com

(iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 HotFix 1.14 (built Mar 18 2003))

id <<xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>[at]mta09ps.email.bigpond.com> for sporter[at]bestdist.com; Thu,

22 Apr 2004 02:04:16 +1000 (EST)

Received: from email.bigpond.com ([172.26.103.21]) by mta09ps.email.bigpond.com

(iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 HotFix 1.14 (built Mar 18 2003))

with ESMTP id <<xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>[at]mta09ps.email.bigpond.com>; Thu,

22 Apr 2004 02:04:08 +1000 (EST)

Received: from [192.168.115.153] by mailms12ps.email.bigpond.com (mshttpd)

; Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:04:07 +0200

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:04:07 +0200

Subject: INTERNATIONAL GLOBAL LOTTERY PROMOTION

Message-id: <2b1612740e.2740e2b161[at]email.bigpond.com>

MIME-version: 1.0

X-Mailer: iPlanet Messenger Express 5.2 HotFix 1.14 (built Nov 18 2003)

Then:

Mailhost configuration problem, identified internal IP as source

Mailhost: mailms12ps.email.bigpond.com

Please correct this situation - register every email address where you receive spam

But bigpond.com has nothing to do with my email other than delivering spam to me.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z432752826z86...0a445d2da4e87dz

OK, I resisted the mailhost garbage for a while because the directions kept insisting on *email addresses*  (PLEASE FIX THIS!!!)  Like others, I use many domains with catchall accounts.  Some forward directly to SpamCop, ohers go to my inbox.

Once I figured out mailhosts were really what they implied (despite the misleading description) I sent my messages to the two hosts most likely to have spam reporting.

So far so good.  Bad news comes from spam forwarded to SpamCop that didn't get trapped.  I use fetchmail to get new messages from my SpamCop inbox.  I tried to report said spam and got above error.

Easy answer: let me SPECIFY my mail hosts!!!! I'm not an f'n idiot.  I can type in the IP addresses of relays.  I understand that SC has to allow for the morons who use AOL, but PLEASE let the advanced users not get SCREWED!!!

So, I need to add either 127.0.0.1 (good luck?) or my external address that corresponds to my ISP account.  I knew the damn mailhost wasn't thought through, but I figured I'd give it a try finally.

P.S.  Sorry if this has been covered.  I'm new to the ****** web forums; used to NNTP.

Not everyone runs fetchmail and the majority of the users will equate email address with mailhost -- you are one of the few who don't. You don't need to register all the email addresses, just one so the system can see the path.

From your next post I gather that you get your mail thru bigpond servers?

Received from bigpond by mymailserver. I changed mymailserver when I pasted the header in the forum.

But bigpond.com has nothing to do with my email other than delivering spam to me.

Received from bigpond by mymailserver. I changed mymailserver when I pasted the header in the forum.

Ok send me your registered SC email address and the tracking url from one of these spams and an explanation of the problem .... deputies <at> spamcop.net

Not everyone runs fetchmail and the majority of the users will equate email address with mailhost -- you are one of the few who don't. You don't need to register all the email addresses, just one so the system can see the path.

Well, I don't run fetchmail but OE, and I didn't know what the word "mailhost" meant until I saw that new link on the SC front page, but the page linked to made it, maybe not very clear, but clear enough for me, that "email addresses" (as used by the new "mailhost" SC spam-reporting system) were not considered "different" if they differed only before the [at] and (therefore) used the same set of incoming-mail servers. Me, I have one account [at]belgacom.net (basic alphanumeric username + five aliases, total 6 addresses) and one [at]skynet.be (basic alphanumeric username + one alias, total 2); I registered one of each, i.e., 2 in all, not 8, and, after a few difficulties at the beginning ("requesting a waiver" for my ISP's "complex" configuration, then later re-configuring to get more MXs listed), I experience now that, as you said, "when it's done, it's done". Though I would qualify that last statement by saying that the next time Belgacom Skynet SA/NV reconfigures its incoming-mail setup (a few months or years from now, prob'ly), some user (not necessarily me, since mailhosts are shared between all users from the same ISP) will have to register the new mail routers with SC.

This said, thanks Ellen (and the others) for all the good work helping and explaining.

Archived