“Liz Carter’s personal email account has been sabotaged. We have arrived.�

mgolden

First of all, I have no idea who Liz Carter is. That said, has anyone read any specifics as to the story behind the story? My first impression is her mail server was probably configured as an open relay.

http://www.redstate.com/tabithahale/2010/0...mail-sabotaged/

The linked post is a bit sketchy. A big clue is found down in one of the comments:
I went to Liz’s web site and signed up for her mailing list and,.. one thing is for sure–she is NOT using “confirmed opt in†(COI).
Not using confirmed opt-in is asking for trouble in so many ways...

Later, it is suggested that it was the IP address of her home computer that was "blacklisted." Something doesn't wash here. Even if her computer were a spewing spambot that managed to get blocklisted, this should not really have affected her ability to send and receive e-mail through her personal internet service, and indeed she might never have known about it unless she heard from her ISP or else got blocked by an overzealous web forum or the like. Furthermore, this also implies that she has a static IP for her home computer (i.e., her address), but later mention is made of renewing a lease (DHCP presumably), which suggests that it really isn't "her" address.

There's a low-rez picture of a website that purports to have something to say about "blacklisting" but as far as I can see it doesn't have much else to do with the story, nor did the URL appear to exist (tho I'm not confident I spelled it correctly).

-- rick

First of all, I have no idea who Liz Carter is. That said, has anyone read any specifics as to the story behind the story? My first impression is her mail server was probably configured as an open relay.

As usual, the real technical details are missing thus far. However, there appears to be some (alleged) confirmation that the IP Address involved was her 'home' connection ... allegedly cleared up by a router rest to get a new IP Address lease/assignment.

Being the 'home' system, the door is pretty much wide open as to the actual technical details, but there are so many existing possibilities, many of them even brought up here. The typical example is either compromised system and/or wireless network that sent enough crap out to be picked up by at least one BL provider that her Host/ISP used ... which then setup the blockage on her attempt at sending e-mail from that system through that Host/ISP. A repeated event brought up in the Blocking List Help Forum section here.

As usual, the real technical details are missing thus far. However, there appears to be some (alleged) confirmation that the IP Address involved was her 'home' connection ... allegedly cleared up by a router rest to get a new IP Address lease/assignment.

Agreed, not much factual information to be derived from the article, other than an attempt at playing the victim card. People need to get a clue before making wild allegations.

...There's a low-rez picture of a website that purports to have something to say about "blacklisting" but as far as I can see it doesn't have much else to do with the story, nor did the URL appear to exist (tho I'm not confident I spelled it correctly).
That's Tiopan Consulting - http://www.tiopan.com/blacklist.php - included in http://multirbl.valli.org/dnsbl-lookup/ and queried using bl.tiopan.com with an expected return code of 127.0.0.2 if listed. (tiopan.com has no "a" record - it operates on lookup of www.tiopan.com through CNAME ns3.tiopan.com 74.207.253.102). The registrant is located in Corvallis, Oregon according to the GoDaddy record. But, as you say, there is nothing to say it is at all related to the story, although 'by implication' it is (though hard to imagine "all of the major servers" using that RBL - or even any of them).

Seems to me to most likely be just a beat-up by the campaign staff - anything by their lights would be preferable to the candidate being utterly ignored by supposed 'enemies' (there can be no greater humiliation) - though there may be the usual reasons for making it onto some RBLs if that's what happened. As mentioned by the O/P, the 'victim card' is a tried and tested one to fall back on, given any semblance of an excuse. They (her and staff) may even believe it.

The (non) incident has already achieved some positive result for her even if reputable mainstream commentators appear not to have fallen for it. I'm not sure whether to salute their perspicacity or condemn their prejudice. I will go with the former, and into the bargain praise their professionalism in not being tempted into ridiculing her attempt to be noticed. Well I would like to think that way but if influential social commentators actually have a clue about the ins and outs of network abuse then why is it being ignored as a topic of general concern? Back to the simple prejudice view after all.

That's Tiopan Consulting - [url=http://www.tiopan.com/blacklist.phpThe (non) incident has already achieved some positive result for her even if reputable mainstream commentators appear not to have fallen for it.
The tweeted threat adds a nice bit of drama to the whole thing, but of course anyone can set up a Twitter account.

-- rick

The tweeted threat adds a nice bit of drama to the whole thing, but of course anyone can set up a Twitter account.

Rob McEwen of the Invaluement DNSBL has gotten involved with the discussion on RedState.com

Perhaps he will be able to extract additional details...

Archived