Unable to access webmail.

I can't access the webmail front page (showing as "unavailable") and a diagnosis shows that the address is not resolvable on the DNS. I assume there is a problem? All other web pages are browsing as normal.

Is anyone else seeing this?

I can't access the webmail front page (showing as "unavailable") and a diagnosis shows that the address is not resolvable on the DNS.

Just logged into webmail.spamcop.net with no problems. deleted some garbage from the InBox, emptied the Trash Folder. Seems to be working just fine for me.

Hmmmm. I've changed the DNS settings from auto to manual and tried with Google DNS, OpenDNS and my own ISP DNS. All come up with the same result = not available on Domain Name Server. This is the only web site I can't access.

Any ideas?

OK. Sorry to bang on about this, but I have tried accessing webmail from two other computers and they all return "Windows cannot find the host name webmail.spamcop.net using DNS". That's three DNS I have tried and three computers. Doesn't this suggest that there's something wrong with the webmail server registration?

Yes, and that's not the webmail front page of course, but if I navigate to it by clicking on "Members Click Here" and then "Login to webmail" it just returns the DNS unavailable error.
Okay - it's a DNS thing, flushing caches and other things are supposed to sometimes work (magic) meantime you might be able to get there with http://216.154.195.51/horde/imp/login.php

Yep that works ok. Not being 100% computer literate could you remind me how to do a DNS cache flush please. :D

EDIT: if it's a cache problem how come it happens on different pc's?

Lordy, I don't know - all whitefella magic to me <g>. Maybe it's a router thing? But flushing a PC:

- Start -> Run -> type cmd

- in command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns

- Done! You Window DNS cache has just been flushed.

according to http://www.techiecorner.com/35/how-to-flus...ux-windows-mac/

Thanks Farelf! DNS flushed but made no difference! Unfortunately! Got to be the domain that's suffered a registration problem.

I had an error on my email client this morning that it couldn't find the host "imap.spamcop.net" so I just changed it to "mail.cesmail.net" and it worked. Try "webmail.cesmail.net" and see if that works better. 'Course both work for me. Not sure. If I had to guess, I'd say Akamai is having DNS issues right now, and it's having issues.

<Later> I just got an error message that the connection with mail.cesmail.net was broken, but when I click out of the message list back to the top of the IMAP folder structure, and back in, it works, so apparently it got reconnected. Still, seems like something is going on.

I'm on Fedora Linux 11 here. I am unable to lookup pop.spamcop.net without hard-coding it in my hosts file. I had to change my IMAP as I previously mentioned. There's something "hinky" going on with SpamCop's DNS.

I'm on Fedora Linux 11 here. I am unable to lookup pop.spamcop.net without hard-coding it in my hosts file. I had to change my IMAP as I previously mentioned. There's something "hinky" going on with SpamCop's DNS.

There certainly is! Webmail has just become "intermittent" on OpenDNS, ie sometimes it's there, sometimes not. GoogleDNS is the same. Got to be some kind of DNS fault.

There certainly is! Webmail has just become "intermittent" on OpenDNS, ie sometimes it's there, sometimes not. GoogleDNS is the same. Got to be some kind of DNS fault.

I sent an email to "service[at]admin.spamcop.net" in the hopes that it'll get to The Powers That Be here at SpamCop so something can be fixed. In the meantime, I've hard-coded the IP address into my hosts file.

Windows users can do the same thing -- edit c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.sam and add an entry for "webmail.spamcop.net" at IP 216.154.195.51. This is dangerous to do, though, since if the IP ever changes, you'll wonder why you can't connect. :-) Alternatively, you can go to "webmail.cesmail.net" instead of "webmail.spamcop.net" as it's the same thing, just a different name. That's MUCH safer as you don't have to worry if the IP address changes.

Working fine for me now. Not sure what the problem was, but for awhile this morning, I was unable to POP or IMAP my email. Never had problems reaching the VER interface, or the reporting page, only the email servers. *shrug*

Working fine for me now. Not sure what the problem was, but for awhile this morning, I was unable to POP or IMAP my email. Never had problems reaching the VER interface, or the reporting page, only the email servers. *shrug*
Thanks mrmaxx, waiting now to hear from the O/P whether his problem has automagically evaporated as well. Input from others with observations of difficulty is always useful in these cases (much appreciated, keep them coming, it might look like an individual problem until others speak up) - but there's a chance of co-incidence which can't be discounted until we hear back (or grow tired of waiting).

Just noting support[at]spamcop.net is the primary contact address for e-mail matters.

Archived