SpamCop will not report virus spams

I don't know if your email application does this or not, but mine indicates if there is an attachment.  If a spam has an attachment, look at it more closely to see if it is a virus or just don't report it.

Miss Betsy

Miss Betsy:

I'm using SpamCop's webmail to review my held mail. I typically do review my messages, but I rarely open 'em. The problem with opening messages with attachments is that HTML messages are interpreted as having attachments, and so I'd have to open about 2/3 to 3/4 of my held mail that way. I'm just going to have to trust SpamCop's Antivirus scanner to catch the stray virus.

You don't have to open the email with an attachment to examine it more closely and I was definitely not suggesting that you do.

Perhaps you don't have what I was talking about (which does not indicate the HTML as an attachment), but only attached files - which are also clearly defined in the raw message. In which case, the suggestion doesn't apply.

If you are using spamcop web mail, then most viruses will be caught, and as Ellen hinted if it is one that hasn't been defined by the anti-virus companies yet, then it is not a /major/ error.

Perhaps someone who uses the spamcop web mail has a way that they can identify viruses. Of course, the older ones had recognizable subject lines (that didn't look like spam) and one of the newer ones looks like an undeliverable message and that is one way to recognize them. Of course, having the ISP filter them means that you don't see enough to be familiar with them.

Miss Betsy

I have two ISPs that block viruses, yet occasionally viruses make it through, when I parse the headers manually they seem to have a common source IP even when I recieve them at two different places (ISPs) in the same day and they look different superficially at least (see my post under humorous spams in the lounge)...that is a mistery I have not solved yet, I have sent the code for one of those to wazoo, unfortunately he never replied....

Viruses often now mutate over time, which is why the same trojan could by spewing from the same source with superficially different-looking viruses. If someone with a compromised machine has both email addresses for the two different ISP's where they are being "delivered", that could account for it. As a practical matter, what counts is that you can recognize them as viri and you know how to properly report them to the source.

You don't have to open the email with an attachment to examine it more closely and I was definitely not suggesting that you do.

No... I wouldn't open the attachments... :) and I didn't think you were suggesting that either.

Perhaps you don't have what I was talking about (which does not indicate the HTML as an attachment), but only attached files - which are also clearly defined in the raw message.  In which case, the suggestion doesn't apply.

Ya know, I don't recall what an email with an attachment looks like in SC webmail... haven't gotten one in a LONG time... I think it's been since the last version of Webmail. :) So, I dunno... come to think of it, I guess SpamCop webmail does NOT show HTML email as an attachment.

If you are using spamcop web mail, then most viruses will be caught, and as Ellen hinted if it is one that hasn't been defined by the anti-virus companies yet, then it is not a /major/ error.

Hopefully not... :) I do make an honest effort not to report non-spam and viruses. I won't swear I'm 100%, but I think I do as much as any one person can with that volume of spam. I know, I could just report a handful, but what's the fun in that? ;)

Perhaps someone who uses the spamcop web mail has a way that they can identify viruses.  Of course, the older ones had recognizable subject lines (that didn't look like spam) and one of the newer ones looks like an undeliverable message and that  is one way to recognize them.  Of course, having the ISP filter them means that you don't see enough to be familiar with them.

Heh... I see quite enough viruses here at work to recognize them... We have antivirus on the individual PCs and on the mail server, but it doesn't catch viruses in-transit on the mail server, so we typically get quite a few when they come through... fortunately they're caught on the local system at least, even if they're not nuked on the mail server!

Thanks for your input, Miss Betsy.

Archived