Outlook - my server

Well, that's me completely out of the equation Julian.

Firstly, I use Outlook as an MUA and returning the account configuration emails is impossible in the format you desire. Even doing it via the spamcop horde IMP interface threw an error returned.

Secondly, my primary ISP until now (virgin.net) is actually hosted by NTL - producing the error pasted below.

Thirdly, I now run my own server -- which the rest of the world recognises as mail.rhodesconsulting.co.uk - your SW tried to send the emails to www.rhodesconsulting.co.uk and I never got them.

Forthly, you said in response to another post that people can mix and match how they do this. Trying to report from 2 different machines/networks (and three different broswers hasn't rolled any thing back. So, the spams I have in my held mail folder are growing and I can't report them because most seem to stop at the virgin.net IP (62.253.164.40)

Lastly, I use Quick reporting, if there are more than 20 spams in the Held Mail, because as dedicated as I am to populating your BL, even I don't have that much time.. Presumably, that's not a good idea until I stop getting my ISP's IP as the last one?

Wasn't that what you were trying to stop anyway?

I think I approve of what you're trying to do, but it's tanked my contribution, that's for sure. I hope these points help you get it fixed in a hurry.

Lydiard

On the basis that no one wants spam in this discussion forum, I've posted the link to the report. It's a gppd example. One thing I don't understand is why it's asking me to ensure virgin.net is not my own service provider.. When, it clearly recognises it that that is the case, because of the confirmation steps I went through this morning..

If you can't read the link, please contact me.

=====================================================

Example of error:

=====================================================

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z357860743z0c...fc65827d5615d2z

Tried to add another account only to find that the bl.spamcop.net blocked it :)

Return-Path: <service[at]admin.spamcop.net>

Delivered-To: spamcop-net-lydiard[at]spamcop.net

Received: (qmail 15967 invoked from network); 18 Mar 2004 14:11:55 -0000

Received: from unknown (HELO c60.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.105)

by blade4.cesmail.net with SMTP; 18 Mar 2004 14:11:55 -0000

Received: from mailgate.cesmail.net (216.154.195.36)

by c60.cesmail.net with SMTP; 18 Mar 2004 09:11:55 -0500

Received: (qmail 31157 invoked from network); 18 Mar 2004 14:11:54 -0000

Received: from unknown (HELO mailgate.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.101)

by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 18 Mar 2004 14:11:54 -0000

Received: from mail.virgin.net [62.253.164.40]

by mailgate.cesmail.net with POP3 (fetchmail-6.2.1)

for lydiard[at]spamcop.net (single-drop); Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:11:54 -0500 (EST)

Received: from spamcop.net ([206.14.107.103]) by mta1-svc.business.ntl.com

(InterMail vM.4.01.03.37 201-229-121-137-20020806) with SMTP

id <20040318135857.EGAA22362.mta1-svc.business.ntl.com[at]spamcop.net>

for <lydiard.bushranger[at]virgin.net>;

Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:58:57 +0000

X-SpamCop-Conf: lJYgkKZV4yKckTdH

X-SpamCop-Test1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Received: from [139.7.95.74, 195.233.250.6] by spamcop.net

with HTTP; Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:58:56 GMT

From: SpamCop robot <mhconf.lJYgkKZV4yKckTdH[at]cmds.spamcop.net>

To: lydiard.bushranger[at]virgin.net

Subject: SpamCop account configuration email

Precedence: list

Message-ID: <wh4059ab20g9ac1[at]msgid.spamcop.net>

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:58:56 GMT

X-Mailer: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7

via http://www.spamcop.net/ v1.3.4

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.63 (2004-01-11) on blade4

X-spam-Level: **

X-spam-Status: hits=2.7 tests=FORGED_MUA_MOZILLA version=2.63

X-SpamCop-Checked: 192.168.1.105 216.154.195.36 192.168.1.101 62.253.164.40

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blocked bl.spamcop.net

Hello SpamCop user,

This email contains special codes and tracking information to help SpamCop

figure out your specific email configuration.

Please return this complete email, preserving full headers and the special

tracking codes below.  Forwarding as an attachment is the preferred

method.  Forward it to this address:

REMOVED[at]cmds.spamcop.net

Alternately, you may create a new message and paste this email into it. 

Address the message to:

REMOVED[at]cmds.spamcop.net

Special codes follow:

################################################################

REMOVED

################################################################

Firstly, I use Outlook as an MUA and returning the account configuration emails is impossible in the format you desire.  Even doing it via the spamcop horde IMP interface threw an error returned.

Can you be more specific? People have tested with outlook and horde successfully prior to this beta.

Secondly, my primary ISP until now (virgin.net) is actually hosted by NTL - producing the error pasted below.

Please follow through on the virgin configuration. You should be able to get it to work. If not, then please describe where you get stuck. The process should be essentially identical to the one for submitting spam. So if you can submit spam, you should be able to return the probe.

Thirdly, I now run my own server -- which the rest of the world recognises as mail.rhodesconsulting.co.uk - your SW tried to send the emails to www.rhodesconsulting.co.uk and I never got them.

It tried, but did it succeed? That hostname (with www) is listed as one of your MXes:

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;rhodesconsulting.co.uk.                IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
rhodesconsulting.co.uk. 86400   IN      MX      0 www.rhodesconsulting.co.uk.
rhodesconsulting.co.uk. 86400   IN      MX      0 rhodesconsulting.co.uk.

Did you see an error?

If the email was handed off to your mailserver, but you never got it, then that's a problem you need to resolve on your end, since you're the mail admin. Did you block the messages as spam perhaps?

Forthly, you said in response to another post that people can mix and match how they do this.  Trying to report from 2 different machines/networks (and three different broswers hasn't rolled any thing back.  So, the spams I have in my held mail folder are growing and I can't report them because most seem to stop at the virgin.net IP (62.253.164.40)

I removed the existing mailhost config from your account, so you're back to square 1 now - doing things the old way. But please, if you can't get it to work, give me some more details - don't give up! I either want to explain it so you can get it going or fix it if there are problems on this end - I already fixed a couple of problems this AM.

BTW, I'm also putting "mailhosts" on the main menu, so anyone can access it, cookie or no. That also makes it easier for you to edit your configuration without having to visit some secret URL.

Lastly, I use Quick reporting, if there are more than 20 spams in the Held Mail, because as dedicated as I am to populating your BL, even I don't have that much time..  Presumably, that's not a good idea until I stop getting my ISP's IP as the last one?

Well, right, reporting spam isn't a good idea until you can be sure it's reported accurately - heeding all the warnings in the mailhost config system.. You can certainly just delete your held mail without problems, and the spam filtering should still work regardless of whether you contribute to it personally. I'm really not sure what you're asking here.

On the basis that no one wants spam in this discussion forum, I've posted the link to the report.  It's a gppd example.  One thing I don't understand is why it's asking me to ensure virgin.net is not my own service provider..  When, it clearly recognises it that that is the case, because of the confirmation steps I went through this morning..

It does not recognize it as the case until the confirmation steps *work*. Just doing it is not enough if you only get errors. It has to succeed one way or the other before it is going to recognize virgin as your mailhost.

-=Julian=-

Tried to add another account only to find that the bl.spamcop.net blocked it :)

Probably becuase you did file 3 complaints against your own server, and put it on the blacklist. Please be more careful! I removed it.

I can see I need to add a warning to the probe email to *not* share it. It contains information confidential to your account!

-=Julian=-

Hi Julian

I hope you're still monitoring all this. SO, I've tried again as you requested. But not over the weekend, because I was kinda busy. I booted up my linux box to enable me to do this with Mozilla and did it for the following MXs

rhodesconsulting.co.uk - which worked apparently

virgin.net - which didn't

hotmail - no sign as yet

yahoo - ditto

Actually, none of the last three have sent me an email saying that it couldn't/did't/would't work. But I didn get a mail thanking me for adding the rhodes one. So, I am still a bot confused.

The error message I am getting at the moment is:

Parsing header:

Received: from unknown (HELO c60.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.105) by blade6.cesmail.net with SMTP; 22 Mar 2004 14:51:22 -0000

Internal handoff at SpamCop

Received: from mailgate.cesmail.net (216.154.195.36) by c60.cesmail.net with SMTP; 22 Mar 2004 09:51:19 -0500

SpamCop received mail from 216.154.195.36

Hostname verified: mailgate.cesmail.net

Received: from unknown (HELO mailgate.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.101) by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 22 Mar 2004 14:51:20 -0000

Internal handoff at SpamCop

Received: from mail.virgin.net [62.253.164.40] by mailgate.cesmail.net with POP3 (fetchmail-6.2.1) for x (single-drop); Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:51:20 -0500 (EST)

SpamCop received mail from 62.253.164.40

Hostname verified: mail.virgin.net

Received: from c-24-11-227-178.client.comcast.net ([24.11.227.178]) by mta1-svc.business.ntl.com (InterMail vM.4.01.03.37 201-229-121-137-20020806) with SMTP id <20040322143747.EEKY27572.mta1-svc.business.ntl.com[at]c-24-11-227-178.client.comcast.net>; Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:37:47 +0000

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Please ensure that virgin.net is not your own service provider.

Will not trust anything beyond this header

Forgery detected, or mailhost configuration incomplete. Please verify source IP identified.

You have failed to configure your own mail host, from which you pop mail

Mailhost: mail.virgin.net ( 62.253.164.40 )

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

Mulling it over in mz mind, I wonder if the fly in the ointment is that although I can pop from virgin (or get my spamcop account) to do it, I don't smtp through their servers anymore - mostly because I am not in the country and their servers don't allow mail relay. So, I use the rhodesconsulting one, because that's mine and I have it secured with SSL.

Could this be the problem?

Lyd

Archived