Remove me from the spam list

kevowen

Please do what ever it is that you have to do unblock me.

- These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server:

info[at]verbierrentals.com; Failed; 5.1.1 (bad destination mailbox address)

Remote MTA verbierrentals.com: SMTP diagnostic: 550-Message rejected because mailer.vodafone.net (gps02-c08d7.vodafone.net)\r\n550-[212.183.156.227]:1255 is blacklisted at rbl.davetha.com see Blocked - see\r\n550 http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...212.183.156.227

This is a private email used by my to stay in contact with my family in the UK

If you'd bothered to read the FAQ and 'Please Read Before Posting' you'd already know that SpamCop is entirely automatic. When the spam stops, the server is de-listed. Simple as that.

Sorry. There is no one here that has any magical powers over your ISP/Host. They are the folks that need to get involved.

This is a private email used by my to stay in contact with my family in the UK

As noted even within the link you provided, your "e-mail address" is not used in the blocking decisions used by the recipient ISP in question. The issue is that you are using a shared Host, and they are not in control of their system.

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...212.183.156.227

212.183.156.227 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 21 hours.

Causes of listing

•System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

•SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam about 60 times in the past week

Arre "you" sending all of this spam?

http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queri...212.183.156.227

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Last Month

Last day ........ 4.6 .. -74%

Last month .... 5.2

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4556 seems to suggest something like 135,000 e-mails a day being sent from this IP Address. Geeze, you must have a huge family!!!!!

As previously noted, there are FAQs, Pinned entries, oddles of previous Topics/Discussions that explain how things work, that SpamCop.net does not ever touch your e-mail, SpamCop.net cannot block anything, on and on .... sorry you decided to Post before doing any research.

Please accept my apologies for the rude reception you received here. I assure you that SpamCop does NOT condone that behavior!

I'm sorry to report that 212.183.156.227 = mailer.vodafone.net is sending spam to our users and to our spamtraps. We know for a fact that our trap servers accurately record the source IP when they get mail. A spamtrap is an unused address whose sole reason for existence is to see if people will send unsolicited mail to it.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3933030359z0...a31050b8d52069z

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3933005030z9...ba8094df6fa31fz

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3931836594zc...ff78a3e0eb35b2z

You can use those links to review recent examples from user reports. The "View entire message" link will show you the full headers and text.

These days, the most common problem is backdoor spam sending spyware that has been installed by a Trojan or Worm. The server may be suffering from an open proxy port exploit, or has been compromised by some other means.

Please share this information with your Internet Service Provider and ask them to stop the spam.

The IP will automatically be removed from our list 24 hours after the spam stops.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

Please accept my apologies for the rude reception you received here. I assure you that SpamCop does NOT condone that behavior!

<snip>

...Again, apologizing for off-topic reply but noting for those who have not seen other like messages that despite repeated notes that SpamCop does not condone that allegedly "rude" behavior, they do nothing to take over the Forum or replace it with an "official" support venue so that they can actually control how users are treated (see my reply in SpamCop Forum "thread" "Errors Encountered - no longer considered a Reporting Help Topic").

...Again, apologizing for off-topic reply

Still looking for anything "off-topic" beyond Don's remarks. (Adnitting that this Post now travels in that direction)

User ran into an ISP using the SpamCopDNSBL in a "blocking fashion" User apparently didn't bother to follow the link provided in the Rejection message. User didn't bother to follow any of the links seen on that referenced page, as he/she didn't bther to go there.

User then somehow found the Forum. Rather than do any type of research, user jumped into the Register so I can Post action. Once Registered, user then ignored all the Read before Posting links, ignored all the links to Help via the FAQs, Wiki, etc. User made no attempt at using any of the search tools provided.

User decides to immediatly make his/her first Post, citing details and making references in error, then making a request that cannot be honoured, especially by anyone 'here.'

In the following replies, links were provided, data was provided, to reflect that the issue was probably not the "my personal email" as stated by user. Noting that Don only provided a portion of that data and detail (and what he did address is in fact in a number of those existing referenced 'Read before Posting' links [OK excluding the specific Tracking URLs]) I actually doubt whether the user is actually concerned about the spam received at SpamCop's end. That was already addressed with the "SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam about 60 times in the past week" line item, which also suggest that the ISP/Host in question had also already been contacted/advised of the spam-spew issue.

The rudeness I see (ignoring Don's issues) is that this user decided to merrily skip past all the existing Help provided, pointed to, and repeatedly addressed in literally thousands of previous Topics/Discussions, before the need to make that first Post was even thought to be an appropriate action. I find that insulting to the dozens of folks that took the time and expended the energy to make that data available, noting that the intent of those actions was to prevent folks from wasting so much time doing incredibly stupid stuff like this.

Still looking for anything "off-topic" beyond Don's remarks.

<snip>

...My reply was to Don's off-topic remark, thus making my reply also off-topic.

...Wish we could just stick to trying to help the OP (however hard s/he has made it) and cut the OT sniping, or at least take the sniping to a more appropriate venue, such as the Lounge.... :( <frown>

...Wish we could just stick to trying to help the OP

Might not be that hard to do. Simply omit statements like "If you'd bothered to read . . ." from your posts. Omit anything that could be construed as passing personal judgments, and stick to impersonal, factual information. Or simply point to where the FAQ answers the question, and move on.

I offer this humble suggestion after 30 years in a job where absolute politeness was required in the face of far, far, stupider comments than usually seen on this board, and where any sort of snarky or archness or hint of snideness was potentially a firing offense.

Might not be that hard to do. Simply omit statements like "If you'd bothered to read . . ." from your posts. Omit anything that could be construed as passing personal judgments, and stick to impersonal, factual information. Or simply point to where the FAQ answers the question, and move on.
...And can you please point to an example where I have done this? If you can and it was unprovoked, I shall withdraw it!
<snip>

where any sort of snarky or archness or hint of snideness was potentially a firing offense.

...Which isn't going to happen under the current SpamCop Forum regime because all but a tiny handful of the participants are not SpamCop employees.

Or simply point to where the FAQ answers the question, and move on.

And in this specific case, just how many more places would you suggest the Why Am I Blocked? FAQ, Please read before posting link? And that's just asking about a "direct link" ... not even going to go near all the other FAQs, Wiki pages, existing Topics/Discussions that also include a link to that very same data. And let's not ignore that even those Replies that were simply links to FAQ entries (matching your suggestion exactly) got complaints from the very same direction.

Should the original poster (kevowen) return, in summary your problem is that your e-mail goes out through a Vodafone mail server (you probably didn't realise) which is also used by many other people (normal practice) and that server has been sending a lot of spam. That is not normal - service providers usually take care to keep their servers 'clean'. Wazoo points out in a slightly roundabout manner in (link) 75363[/snapback] that this information is all contained in the link you posted and the other links from it, if you know how to interpret them. And detail of how it all works is sort of covered in the resources (FAQ etc) both here in the forums and at the main SpamCop site.

SpamCop Admin (Don) provides some examples of the spam passing through that server in 75364[/snapback] and if you follow any of those links you will see that this situation (and the specific instances) have been reported to Vodafone. They will have received many reports. Included in Don's post is the advice to share the information with Vodafone. Since they already have it, the thought there probably is that they might take more notice of a customer than of anyone else. If you do that, you will need to know what you are talking about - the usual provider response is flat denial because it is easier than educating you, the representatives you might deal with don't know much anyway and the last thing they will admit is that Vodafone is responsible.

So why are you being punished for what someone else is doing? (No-one imagines you are the spammer - and actually there are probably many of them and Don thinks maybe they are not even other Vodafone customers). Unfortunately the only way the 'internet' can survive is if spam is cut off at the source or as close to it as possible (there are HUGE volumes of it across the internet, far, far more of it than there is of proper mail). To some extent that involves shunning servers that spam comes from. Only Vodafone has any means to track down the actual source (whether internal to their network or external) and shut it off.

Why doesn't SpamCop drop dead? See the above, SpamCop is part of the solution, not the problem - and incidentally that server is listed on at least 22 other blocklists so it's not just SpamCop. Not all of those go to the bother of notifying the provider about their problem so they can fix it and fewer still automate the removal process (shortly after SC stops seeing spam, it stops listing the server - others make the Vodafone admins jump through all sorts of hoops first). Bottom line - it's the admins of the receiving sites, the ones to whom you send you mail, who elect to use SC and other blocklists, filters and services to protect their customers.

Complicated I know. But there's a war going on out there and really you've lived a charmed life if this is the first you've heard of it.

...And can you please point to an example where I have done this?

Sorry Steve, I shouldn't have directed my comment to you. I misread the thread, and thought you had made the original reply with the "if you had bothered" remark. I need to read more carefully. I may have to fire myself.

And in this specific case, just how many more places would you suggest the Why Am I Blocked? FAQ, Please read before posting link?

I don't suggest any more places. There are probably too many places already. I'm simply suggesting omission of even mildly insulting phraseology in replies to posts, no matter how dumb the original post seems. And I recognize the ultimate responsibility for these problems rests with spamcop management. I have warmed Don's inbox with a few comments along these lines.

I'm sorry to have jumped into this here. and will simply go back to hoping the aforesaid "management" takes some constructive action. Eventually.

I have warmed Don's inbox with a few comments along these lines.

And I have no doubt that these missives have also included the accolades earned by the many folks that have helped here over the years, answering questions, adding/editing the FAQs, generating/editing the Wiki pages, populating the Dictionary/Glossary, contributing to the flow of information and trying to make it all presentable.

I don't suggest any more places. There are probably too many places already.

Actally, that's most of my pont. That some folks barge in here with the apparent belief that thier time is more precious than any of the folks that do try to offer help here is a crying shame. Granted, this user is from the European side of the world, one would like to think that it would have been noticed that this Forum is so mych different than most ... answers appear pretty damned quick in most cases. One would think that if this blockage was such an issue, so much time would not have gone by before a re-appearance. The first "Help" was offered within 10 minutes after the initial Post. We're now looking at over 10 hours gone by. Sure, I know that some people actually sleep, but .... hey, when I Post a question, believe me, I'm on it to catch the first wind of any kind of a response. (In reality, I don't actually Post many questions, because I research the hell out of things before even thinking about resorting to asking what could be a stupid question .. stupid in that I didn't bother to do any research, therefore didn't know what facts/details were important, which were garbage, how to phrase the query in a Post, and even what kind of responses I was anticipating .... all figured out by scouting out the area first.

{sigh}

Yeah, I know what you mean, but .... now sliding even further off-topic, imagie the joy of leaving this fine Discussion, going to read a number of PMs, and hitting this one .... a simple {sigh} just doesn't come close ....

Subject: help plz

hi im new and im a bit nooby with all this..

i got an email thats not from the person that it says its from. When i check the sourse, its from blu0-omc2-s3.blu0.hotmail.com ([65.55.111.78]) or something..

Also the message is forwarded to more people i (used) to know.. also some old emailadresses i dont use anymore.

could u help me a lil, i want to learn more about this.

Not sure what you actually want. First of all this is a public Forum. That's where your query should have been Posted. However, Posting probably isn't required, as the knowledge you say you want has already been provided, available for 'reading' at your own pace, to whatever level you wish to take your education.

Secondly, there's a wealth of information already provided via FAQs, a Dictionary, a Glossary, a Wiki, thousands of exisitng Topics/Discussions.

Thirdly, the reason you cannot yet Post is because you have not finished up the Registration process here. If you didn't receive the Registration details and links in your InBox, then check the spam/Junk folder.

Wow.... :blush:

The reason I posted this question was because i got lost in all the information (FAQ Link that say how to contact etc).

So 17 odd replies later I'm still no better off. :unsure:

Yes I now understand that its a server issue (IP) not my email address. Thanks.

So i need to email Vodafone (I used to work there so i can go via a back door to get an answer).

What do i have to tell them (I'm not techy) - Admittedly the party line will be "we do everything we can to stop spam (corporate b*llocks).

If i email a friend (in the Vodafone messaging team) he or she is going to want some details, I cant just say my mail gets blocked to some people because your server in sending spam.

If someone has the information i need to send to Vodafone, i'll happily send it to VF and maybe they will do something (they maynot :ph34r: ).

Thanks

What do i have to tell them (I'm not techy) - Admittedly the party line will be "we do everything we can to stop spam (corporate b*llocks).

If i email a friend (in the Vodafone messaging team) he or she is going to want some details, I cant just say my mail gets blocked to some people because your server in sending spam.

If someone has the information i need to send to Vodafone, i'll happily send it to VF and maybe they will do something (they maynot :ph34r: ).

Again, they "should" already know about the issue. However, to bring it directly to their attention, use the links I provided in my first response ... showing the SpamCopDNSBL status, the SenderBase traffic and status. You should be thinking that you'll be getting the attention of someone who does or is supposed to know what's gong on. SpamCop.net user Reports would have been gong to the incident.reporting[at]gb.vodafone.co.uk address. Technically, the SenderBase data page suggests that they have managed to do something about the massive spew, but apparently, perhaps not enough .. still showing 11 hours before automatic delisting at this point.

The reason I posted this question was because i got lost in all the information (FAQ Link that say how to contact etc).

You still didn't actually mention anything about the Why am I Blocked? FAQ, Wiki page, etc. as found here (noting that you really didn't identify just what FAQ you managed to get lost in.) The question here deals with your statement of "I'm still no better off" ,,, what's still missing after looking through that data?

Sorry Steve, I shouldn't have directed my comment to you.

<snip>

...*Whew* No problem, then! You just had me frightened that I might have been rude (without justification). I have little doubt that happens sometimes, if only unintentionally (because I do not always choose my words well), and Don correctly pointed out one reply in which I simply linked to a long "thread" without specifying what in that long discussion I thought might help the person to whom I replied, a form of "abuse" that I have avoided since. Thanks for taking the time to post this reply. :) <g>

<snip>

<snip>

...Thanks for returning and taking the time to post this follow-up reply!

...If you are able to be more specific about specific parts of the information that got you lost, perhaps we can put a little work together into making things clearer, especially if it's content that we posted and can change.

• 1 year later...

Hi I got this error message while sending email, please remove me from block list, many thanks.

--- On Mon, 9/5/11, MAILER-DAEMON[at]nm5.bullet.mail.sg1.yahoo.com <MAILER-DAEMON[at]nm5.bullet.mail.sg1.yahoo.com> wrote:

From: MAILER-DAEMON[at]nm5.bullet.mail.sg1.yahoo.com <MAILER-DAEMON[at]nm5.bullet.mail.sg1.yahoo.com>

Subject: Failure Notice

To: kenneth_9198[at]yahoo.com.sg

Date: Monday, 9 May, 2011, 11:13 AM

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<colin[at]ciseern.com>:

Remote host said: 550 an RBL, see Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?115.178.12.249" [RCPT_TO]

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Admin Edit: totally useless Posting of an entire e-mail removed.

Hi I got this error message while sending email, please remove me from block list, many thanks.

Jumping to assumptions, user found this Topic by using a search engine of some sort. Then, tather than read anything, say, looking for the results of the Topic starter's query, this user makes his/her first Post into this Topic. It is simply too obvious that none of the preceding traffic had been looked at, none of the syggested regerences to any other data had been perused ..... and somehow apparently expecting something other than a stupid, rude, whatever type of a rsponse.

Then, the entire e-mail in question is Posted for some strange reason, only pointing out once again that absolutely zero research was performed.

I see no sense in repeating any of the existing Discussion ... finding it hard to even think about doing any research ... can only point out to this user .... please read before Posting

Archived