spam sent to "@smapcop.net"

I have been a spamcop user for many years but over the past I have discovered that 95% of the spam that I get is being sent to either my spamcop address or to addresses that seem to be a spamcop address

I'm thinking that if I could change my spamcop mailbox address and get rid spam that is being sent addresses such as: mbremo[at]spamcop.net, dstenhouse[at]spamcop.net, checkit[at]spamcop.net then my spam problem would be almost totally gone.

can someone explain to me what these email addresses are and how the email is getting in my mailbox? Are spammers creating distribution lists on the CES servers?

You can write to support[at]spamcop.net about getting a new address.

The new address should be long and exotic. Spammers have huge lists of possible usernames they apply to a domain, such as SpamCop.net, and then start sending. It won't do any good to choose a simple address only to discover that it gets spam on the first day.

Make sure your email address is not on your SpamCop whitelist. Spammers often use your email address as the return address, which will cause the filters to let it pass.

You are getting spam addressed to other people because the spammer is putting your address in the Bcc field so that you will get it, too

Spammers do NOT have access to the CES servers.

- Don -

The only mail you receive is mail that is sent to your own personal address. The spammers are sending to multiple addresses, most of which are BBC which are hidden from your view. The addresses you see in the To: line have nothing to do with the mail you receive. Unless your address appears in one of the following fields To: BC: or BBC you will not receive the mail. If you are only using your spamcop address to forward mail to, then changing your address will help, but the new address needs to be more complex like kU9-_*fw5GW#dfw. Also when you reply to mail, make sure you use a different From: and Reply To: address. Spammer pick up new addresses from countless sources as well as simply "guessing" possible addresses. Using a complex address prevents them from guessing your address. Once your address is on the list then the volume you receive will only increase with time.

I hope this helps a bit.

Edit: I see that Don replied while I was writting this, so please consider this as being written before Don's post and not a reply posted after reading his. Thank you

Moving this Topic to the more appropriate SpamCop E-Mail system & Accounts Forum section with this Post. I don't see any issue being raised with or about the Reporting System in this Discussion.

The single-page-access-expanded-version of the SpamCop FAQ found here has some answers to the queries you've brought up. For instance, under the SpamCop Email System & Accounts section;

I forgot my Password / can't login / other account problems

Why does SpamCop release so much spam to me?

Where can I get further assistance?

can someone explain to me what these email addresses are and how the email is getting in my mailbox? Are spammers creating distribution lists on the CES servers?

Spammers get these address by a number of means their main source is webspiders which are programs that go through webpages gathering them. Often someone you communicate with becomes infected and then the infection sends all email addresses to spammers

SpamCop email though does have exceptional armour. Greylisting, SpamAssasin and other blocklisks, including your own. White listing overrides these blacklists.

SpamCop also has "very easy reporting" (VER) which if you use it sends a report alerting the ISP of a compromised computer, they can then remove the problem sometimes calling the police if spammer can be identified (and it's happening). Windows computer security is now "free" check my signature and advise your friends and colleagues

You can write to support[at]spamcop.net about getting a new address.

Don,

This seemed like a great idea. This is the response I got:

"SpamCop Support wrote:

How about this -- open a new account and pay for a year and I will cancel the old account and then credit another year to the new account. How does that sound? Remember you will need to get any mail from the old account that you want to keep; change any forwarding that might be pointed to the old account and change you email app for the new account and password."

I'm going to pass on this offer. If they are not willing to risk that I will be a satisfied customer and continue to renew every year then I guess I'll have to consider my last renewal a donation.

-David-

"SpamCop Support wrote:

How about this -- open a new account and pay for a year and I will cancel the old account and then credit another year to the new account. How does that sound? Remember you will need to get any mail from the old account that you want to keep; change any forwarding that might be pointed to the old account and change you email app for the new account and password."

I'm going to pass on this offer. If they are not willing to risk that I will be a satisfied customer and continue to renew every year then I guess I'll have to consider my last renewal a donation.

I'm not sure I follow the logic of your response. What I see is an offer to assist you in the transition to a 'new' account, such that the risk of losing anything 'wanted' is minimized. I can't come up with anything that seems to fit the description of 'risk' involved.

"SpamCop Support wrote:

It sounds like you didn't want to pay anything extra, just have your email address changed without having to extend your subscription, correct?

So I guess that means you didn't plan on staying another year?

:huh:

My guess is that CES doesn't have a way just to change email addresses and the only mechanism to get a new one is to pay for a new 1-year subscription. They're trying to ease the pain by offering you a bonus (tacking on another full year regardless of how much is left on your current subscription now).

<snip>

This seemed like a great idea. This is the response I got:

"SpamCop Support wrote:

<snip>

I'm not sure I follow the logic of your response. What I see is an offer to assist you in the transition to a 'new' account, such that the risk of losing anything 'wanted' is minimized. I can't come up with anything that seems to fit the description of 'risk' involved.
...IMHO, that's because you (Wazoo) are not thinking like a customer, but rather like a Forum admin. IIUC, the risk is that the OP may find her/himself to have been unsatisfied with the service at the end of the subscription (one-year) period and wish to not renew.

<snip>

So I guess that means you didn't plan on staying another year?

<snip>

...The point (IIUC) is that the OP doesn't yet know whether she/he wants to stay on for another year.

IMHO, that's because you (Wazoo) are not thinking like a customer, but rather like a Forum admin. IIUC, the risk is that the OP may find her/himself to have been unsatisfied with the service at the end of the subscription (one-year) period and wish to not renew....

The point (IIUC) is that the OP doesn't yet know whether she/he wants to stay on for another year.

I can see your point, yet .... my comments were based on the Topic-starting Post that included;

I have been a spamcop user for many years

Granted, this only says 'spamcop user' and does not actually specify a 'spamcop e-mail account user' ... so will have to admit that I made a bit of an assumption.

<snip>

Granted, this only says 'spamcop user' and does not actually specify a 'spamcop e-mail account user' ... so will have to admit that I made a bit of an assumption.

...And, even if an e-mail user for many years, previous satisfaction does not necessarily mean satisfaction will continue to the end of the current one-year period -- perhaps service levels will fall off and/ or problems will creep in that will not be able to be addressed to the OP's satisfaction.

Archived