[Resolved] IP Addresses in spamreports don't show up in blocked lists?

T_M

Question:

After I submit a spam report to spamcop, and then subsequently send the report to the offending ISP, should the IP address appear in the blocked list?

example:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3950755236z0...1d02e3154f5f4bz

the ip address identified in the report is not in the blocklist:

69.163.36.61 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

Am I doing something incorrectly?

TIA

It does not look like you are doing anything wrong. There are many factors that determine when and for how long an IP address will appear on the blocking list. Your one report may or may not be enought to add it to the list, but your one report when added with others is important and will add the IP address to the list. Thank you for doing your part.

Question:

the ip address identified in the report is not in the blocklist:

69.163.36.61 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

Am I doing something incorrectly?

IMO

SpamCop Blocklist has been detuned so it becomes less likely to "trip"

Its latest owners sell very effective hardware

(advantage of hardware firewalls over software is it uses low resources)

which stops spam and viruses and publicly available blocklists are targets for lawsuits. Effective spam prevention has always been a war-zone/battle field. Google for instance don't want anyone but Google to deal with spam and will not disclose any spams source IP in its headers.

SpamCop does try to inform the ISP spam source owners of a compromised computer which is effective if owners act. If they end up on Googles secret block list they won't be so it pays to respond to abuse reports

I never recommend automatically accept a email address an ISP tries to force on you. SpamCop email is a good choice for one

Archived