"Fuel" vs Full Email

sherrb

I'm new to the service, as I was just overrun w/ more than your avg spam at over 350+ in three days. I've reported the two main unique instances and will be more than happy to pay for "Fuel" for the help!

My question is that I'm not sure about the filtering service yet as I use Yahoo mail at home which is not listed, I don't particularly like Outlook (bad experiences at work!), and not sure I want to try to port my mail at this time. Sooo, my main issue with 98% of the above mentioned emails is one domain, should I start feeding the "Fuel" and see how that works out first, or pay for the mail intercept, or are the two mutually exclusive.

Thanks, and I hope I didn't ask anything too ignorant.

Appreciate your help!

Barbara.

The "Fuel" you're talking about only applies to the spam reporting service. It is totally unrelated to the Email Filtering Service which is a similar, but different deal. Buying fuel will not make spam reporting faster or easier if you're submitting your spam by email, but will make things faster if you are manually processing the spam.

The Email Filtering Service is a spam filtering service, which includes free spam reporting.

http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml

I don't know if it works with free Yahoo. I think you may have to buy a paid Yahoo account so you can forward the email for filtering.

If you're not married to your Yahoo address, maybe now would be a good time to look into switching over to SpamCop Email entirely.

Just so there's no confusion... I work for the reporting side of SpamCop, which is a completely separate company from the Email Service you have your account with. Email services and spam reporting are coordinated, but not dependant on each other. If the problem is not about spam reporting, all I can offer is advice.

Your contact at the Email Service is: support[at]spamcop.net

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Hi Barbara,

Some thoughts on the generalities to support the detail to which Wazoo points. SC will not eliminate your spam - what you do by reporting is contribute to a global effort to identify the senders of spam and, if there is sufficient from an individual source, add that to a blocklist that can be used to filter that source. You cannot add an individual source to the blocklist by yourself. It takes reports from a number of different reporters all at once (more or less) or a hit on one of the secret SpamCop spamtraps to trigger listing

The filtered email service (webmail) is one way to use that blocklist (and other resources) to keep spam out of your inbox (and to make it easier to report). You still get the spam but most of it is diverted for your review to report or delete. You don't need the "fuel" for the reporting service when you have an email subscription - the "member" reporting features are included with the email subscription.

If you can work your way through the "How we Use SpamCop - Detailed Examples" link with the foregoing in mind it may be easier to follow what people are doing and why. If the bulk of your "more than average" spam was due to misdirected bounces (through an address of yours being spoofed as the "From:" or "Reply-to:" address in a major spam run) then you should notice it dropping away within a few days. If so there is no need to rush in to "fix it" before you have fully considered your needs. But ... they will be back.

Steve

What is SpamCop.net?

SpamCop Reporting Accounts

How We Use SpamCop - Detailed Examples Category

Strictly dollar-wise, it really depends on how much spam you receive and will be Reporting.

I read all of those articles. My point was that I don't know how it will work out for my particular situation, but I've decided therefore I will just contribute to the fuel and see how it works out.

I appreciate what you do.

Steve,

Thank you, that is all very good advice. I have read the recommended documents, am somewhat familiar with what our company puts in-line with our firewall to keep this crud out, but it still seems to get in sometimes, although I'm sure to a many times less degree, and then gets detected of it's own behaviour. I mst admit I went a little short on following some online instructions on finding the "source" ... I got to TRADITIONALISTSNT.COM and SIMPLEBUSINESSRULESANALYSIS.COM and then got caught up on the registering email address at Yahoo.com, which I'm sure was not right.

I'm just not sure I'm ready to route my emails through yet another holding and storage place "on the way". Blame it on my distrust of the government or just common creeps that have not a better way to spend their time in a productive way.

Therefore, whether required or not, I have added fuel ... and I hope you good guys go after the blasted creeps. We are all a part of this, but you have the concentrated strategies and I'm glad to put dollars towards your efforts, as you should make well for yourself when you expend great brain power, innovation and effort. That's what this great country is all about .... and may you prosper greatly in return!!!!! I'm never looking for something for free ... just something proven, well-built and with good ethics to spend my hard earned money on! You guys Go!, okay! Get after them ... everyone of them ... I hope you hunt them down and take a Navy Seal M-5 to them. And then I will keep sending money, and other people with money to you .... that's how enteprenuership in the USA works. Hopefully the guys in the white hats win this one!

Thanks for your kind response. Guess I'm going to have to find a way to get all of my important old emails off of there. I much appreciate your help though.

Barbara.

Hi, Barbara!

...Glad to have you in the fight against spam with us.

...Since your inquiry appears to be about SpamCop Reporting, not the SpamCop e-mail service, I am taking the liberty of moving this "thread" to the SpamCop Reporting Forum. If I'm not correct, it can be moved back by others who also have this power.

<snip>

I appreciate what you do.

<snip>

... and I hope you good guys go after the blasted creeps. We are all a part of this, but you have the concentrated strategies and I'm glad to put dollars towards your efforts, as you should make well for yourself when you expend great brain power, innovation and effort.

<snip>

You guys Go!, okay! Get after them ... everyone of them ... I hope you hunt them down

<snip>

...These statements make it sound as if you may have missed the note: "The primary mode of support here is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users." Except for Don D'Minion, we are all just SpamCop users, victims like you and other people interested in reducing spam, not (otherwise) necessarily engaged on the front-lines. :) <g>

Archived