OMG, Spamcop put me on their spam list

ep2002

Ok, I'm trying to be calm about this, but I'm very upset.

I already wrote to Don & haven't received a response back.

A few weeks ago I decided to finally take the plunge & start forwarding spam to spam cop. I had Don also help me to set it up so it's faster & easier for me, so we set up my hosting company & gmail.

Then I started to forward my spam mail as an attachment to spam Cop. I do get a lot of spam every day, but I started to notice that I may be getting more.

I decided if I'm getting more & what people say is correct, that it doesn't really stop people from spamming b/c they are using other people's computers, I should just stop. It was worth a try.

Then TODAY, a biz associate said they weren't getting my e-mails.

An e-mail I sent to a 2nd biz associate came back undeliverable.

Then the first person's e-mails all started coming back undeliverable & that's when I noticed the error message.

It said...

<Brittany.Strange[at]supermedia.com>: host mx1.supermedia.com[151.138.253.29]

said: 550 5.2.1 Mailbox unavailable. Your IP address 66.28.193.251 is

blacklisted using SPAMCOP. Details: Blocked - see

http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.28.193.251. (in reply to RCPT TO

command)

I was TERRIBLY shocked & disappointed that Spamcop would do this to me.

How do I get my domain, my hosting company, or IP address OFF the list asap!

Thank you

Michelle

Unfortunately, I haven't received your email yet.

I'm sorry to report that 66.28.193.251 = colo68smtp.mia.colo-cation.com is sending spam to our spamtraps. We know for a fact that our trap servers accurately record the source IP when they get mail.

This partial header is the most I can share with you:

Received: from unknown (HELO colo68smtp.mia.colo-cation.com) ([66.28.193.251])

by [trap servername] with ESMTP; 23 Aug 2010 16:xx:xx -0700

Received: by colo68smtp.mia.colo-cation.com (Postfix, from userid x)

id x; Mon, 23 Aug 2010 19:xx:xx -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Brands and Generics - at everyday low prices

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:xx:xx -0700 (PDT)

Please share this information with your Internet Service Provider and ask them to stop the spam.

The IP will automatically be removed from our list 24 hours after the spam stops.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

There you are.

I guess you didn't get my e-mail b/c now no one is getting my mail :(

But what I'm saying is how do you know it's not b/c of all the spam I sent to Spamcop that suddenly out of the blue Colo is being labled as sending spam?

I've been with them for 4 years & this has never happened before. Then I start with SC & suddenly they are sending out spam? That's too much of a coincidence IMO.

I also stopped forwarding e-mails about 36 hours ago.

All very strange.

Thanks Don

Michelle

Unfortunately, I haven't received your email yet.

I'm sorry to report that 66.28.193.251 = colo68smtp.mia.colo-cation.com is sending spam to our spamtraps. We know for a fact that our trap servers accurately record the source IP when they get mail.

This partial header is the most I can share with you:

Received: from unknown (HELO colo68smtp.mia.colo-cation.com) ([66.28.193.251])

by [trap servername] with ESMTP; 23 Aug 2010 16:xx:xx -0700

Received: by colo68smtp.mia.colo-cation.com (Postfix, from userid x)

id x; Mon, 23 Aug 2010 19:xx:xx -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Brands and Generics - at everyday low prices

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:xx:xx -0700 (PDT)

Please share this information with your Internet Service Provider and ask them to stop the spam.

The IP will automatically be removed from our list 24 hours after the spam stops.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

Hi, Michelle,

...Sorry to hear of your problem. For what it's worth, I can tell you that I've been reporting for years and, in spite of accidentally reporting my service provider (my then-employer) as a spam source, my provider has never been listed by SpamCop.

...Generally, when this happens it is because a user has, as did I, reported it. We have never seen a complaint of an instance similar to yours (a user's provider has been listed due to sending spam to a SpamCop spamtrap.) being mentioned here that I can recall. Not that it can't happen but I think it's safe to say that if it had we'd have had lots of complaints about it here. But I guess at this point, with the information so far presented here, no one can say for certain that it hasn't. Nevertheless, to me, a coincidence seems more likely than that it was caused by your reporting.

...As did Don, the best I can suggest is that you contact your provider with the information Don provided to see if they can track down the spam. An official representative of your provider can contact Don, too, if she/he needs further information, which Don may or may not be able to provide to them (beyond what he has provided here in this public forum).

...Good luck!

Well I can see that your IP is already removed from the SCBL (66.28.193.251 not listed in bl.spamcop.net).

I suspect that this blocking is coincidental with you starting to report. But the way to check would be to stop reporting and the start again and see if the problem recurs.

On the other hand you may feel more comfortable not reporting at all. Participating in the SC reporting process is not difficult but it does require a certain level of understanding to ensure that you do things in the correct way.

In order to help you identify what has happened a good deal of information is needed.

I hope your Email is flowing again now.

Andrew

A few weeks ago I decided to finally take the plunge & start forwarding spam to spam cop. I had Don also help me to set it up so it's faster & easier for me, so we set up my hosting company & gmail.

Not entirely sure about just what is being described here, as GMail doesn't seem to be included in your current issue/query.

Then I started to forward my spam mail as an attachment to spam Cop.

And following the above remark, there may be something more to the story at this point. How forwarded, from where, on and on ....

<Brittany.Strange[at]supermedia.com>: host mx1.supermedia.com[151.138.253.29]

said: 550 5.2.1 Mailbox unavailable. Your IP address 66.28.193.251 is

blacklisted using SPAMCOP. Details: Blocked - see

http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?66.28.193.251. (in reply to RCPT TO

command)

I was TERRIBLY shocked & disappointed that Spamcop would do this to me.

OK, all this says is that spam has been sent from a specific IP Address .... not necessarily 'you' ...

As previously mentioned, http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blcheck&...p=66.28.193.251 shoes;

66.28.193.251 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

However, the SenderBase data is somewhat interesting, especially based on your 'starting a few weeks ago' description .... http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queri...g=66.28.193.251

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Last Month

Last day ...... 0.0 .. N/A

Last month .. 1.4

per http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4556 there was something like 100 e-mails-a-say seen last month. If we go with "dedicated'. does this match your output levels? That it dropped to '0' ... hard to interpret that. Has the level dropped to just a few e=mails a day (suggesting that something got fixed) or is it possible 'your' e-mail server has been moved to another system/IP Address?

Any to throw some more possible confugion into the mix, your words of 'Don helped set things up' could suggest that you went through the MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account and something got upset in that 'configuration' ... usually shows up when your Host changes something, such as the IP Address of the e-mail servers involved, without letting you know, or you didn't recognize the possible impact. Going through the MailHost Configuration process again should clear this up, if it's at issue.

Archived