[Resolved] IPhone setup with new o/s 4.0.3

I'm guessing this is addressed somewhere so I apologize in advance.

I'm a long time Webmail user and would finally like to be able to read and send email over Spamcop using my IPhone (v 4.0.3). I do not want to download and delete mail from my Spamcop account as I want to also be able to work with my email using Webmail.

In setting up the IPhone email account it appears that one has to make a choice of IMAP or POP. And for each there are settings (server names etc) that have to be entered in the IPhone email account setup wizard.

Can someone tell me how I put this together, please?

Beers on me if ever in person!

I'm guessing this is addressed somewhere so I apologize in advance.

<snip>

...It very well may have been; if so, here's how you find it:
  • Near the top of this (or nearly any other SpamCop Forum screen), find the text entry box between the "buttons" labeled "Search for -->" and "GO."
  • Type "iphone" (quote marks optional) into that text box.
  • Click either button.
  • A list of SpamCop Forum posts that mention "iphone" is returned.

...If what you want isn't found there or you have further questions about what you do find, please post back here.

...Good luck!

...It very well may have been; if so, here's how you find it:
  • Near the top of this (or nearly any other SpamCop Forum screen), find the text entry box between the "buttons" labeled "Search for -->" and "GO."
  • Type "iphone" (quote marks optional) into that text box.
  • Click either button.
  • A list of SpamCop Forum posts that mention "iphone" is returned.

...If what you want isn't found there or you have further questions about what you do find, please post back here.

Thanks, I did indeed perform that search and did not find what I am looking for.

Sitting at the IPhone now, here are the fields required for setting up a new IPhone account:

(1) Name, Address, Password, Description

I'm assuming that the address would be (for example) username[at]spamcop.net and the password would be my webmail password

next, choose IMAP or POP. If I choose IMAP the requested fields are:

(1) Incoming Mail server:

[a] Host Name

user name

[c] password

(2) Outgoing Mail server:

[a] Host Name

User Name - optional

[c] Password - optional

Next: (says it is verifying) and then says "cannot connect using SSL". I assume this is because I have something wrong.

POP wants pretty much the same fields.

ok, I can read emails using:

imap.spamcop.net

and sending/forwarding emails using:

smtp.cesmail.net

deleting gives an error "not able to move message to Trash".

any ideas? I notice that the IPhone created only an Inbox when it created the setup for Spamcop on the IPhone. Probably I need to be able to add folders on the IPhone side.

On the other hand, I can "see" my Spamcop "Trash" folder, so this may indeed be a feature of the SMTP (delete nothing) set up. In which case, I'm golden and thanks for everything.

deleting gives an error "not able to move message to Trash".

any ideas? I notice that the IPhone created only an Inbox when it created the setup for Spamcop on the IPhone. Probably I need to be able to add folders on the IPhone side.

On the other hand, I can "see" my Spamcop "Trash" folder, so this may indeed be a feature of the SMTP (delete nothing) set up. In which case, I'm golden and thanks for everything.

I had exactly the same problem with my iphone and then it started deleting just fine. I do not remember making any changes but perhaps I did. I have the same settings you do. Also check under advanced and mailbox behaviors -- click deleted mailbox and then on that screen click trash under the on server settings (all the way at the bottom).

OK, I found the Advanced settings. They're on IPhone o/s 4.x here:

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar > the_Account > Account Info > (scroll to bottom) Advanced > Deleted Mailbox > (on the IPHone or "on the Server" > select "on the Server" > select the Trash folder on the server

And, coolness of all ... delete works. I can read my SpamCop email on my IPhone, choose delete (the little trash can opens and the message disappears) and then a refresh on SpamCop Webmail shows the message is now in my SpamCop trash folder. And there's a semblance of the message with lots of cross-outs in my SpamCop inbox.

Sweet!

Archived