Yahoo filtering outgoing email

craigt

Yahoo has apparently started filtering outgoing email with a spam filter -- my attempt to forward this morning's spam to SpamCop was met with a message saying my outgoing mail was blocked for a couple of hours due to an attempted spam transmission.

I sent them a message complimenting them on the general filtering idea but asked if they could come up with a method to allow forwarding the stuff to reporting sites.

Thanks Craig,

Moving this to "Reporting Help" on the assumption any others experiencing the same will look there - also SC staff are more likely to see it here than in the Lounge.

This seems a disturbing development. If they persist we may have to include them in http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2782

The justification of the providers seems to be that they are preventing machines on their network from spamming. Totally lame of course, there are better ways from the POV of the internet community but evidently it is cheaper to do and their beancounters are appeased because the investment on spam filtering is optimised when it is applied in both directions. Only one (AFAIK) ever relented and allowed spam to be forwarded to SC at least (RR, on Don's request to them) and I'm not sure that stuck.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves, they may decide it is all a bad idea or they may accept your request to allow reporting.

That's great Geek! If only more were like that. Certainly raises hopes. Depends on how they implement the filtering I suppose - and on culture/knowledge levels in their staff. Maybe I should have another crack at mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Verizon often allows spam in, but will block any attempt to forward it to an non "abuse[at]" address. Very vexxing when I'm trying to work with an actual person at an abuse desk.

Verizon has an appeal process, but it not transparent. You have to forward the spam to a 3rd party, and they will made a judegment, but you will not be informed either way.

Yahoo has apparently changed to allow forwarding of spam again -- most times it just forwards and other times I have to type in one of the silly "graphic text" thingies to get it to go.

Either way, I never received an answer to my email to them about the issue.

Yahoo has apparently changed to allow forwarding of spam again -- most times it just forwards and other times I have to type in one of the silly "graphic text" thingies to get it to go.

Thanks Craig.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I'm going through this again. The same thing happened to me earlier this year and was resolved without my ever hearing back from support. Now I'm in the middle of it again. It makes me go through a CAPTCHA and then it tells me that my account has been blocked because it's sending too much spam. I don't know why it was resolved in March and is now occurring again. It's weird. I wish there was some better method of getting in touch with their support structure. :(

Unfortunately I'm going through this again. The same thing happened to me earlier this year and was resolved without my ever hearing back from support. Now I'm in the middle of it again. It makes me go through a CAPTCHA and then it tells me that my account has been blocked because it's sending too much spam. I don't know why it was resolved in March and is now occurring again. It's weird. I wish there was some better method of getting in touch with their support structure. :(

Same here. Just started 3 days ago.

I can send any email just fine except email addressed to Spamcop. I get a notice that my account is suspended due to suspicious activity etc when I send to Spamcop.

I wrote to their help desk on the 1st day and of course, no response.

• 1 month later...
Same here. Just started 3 days ago.

I can send any email just fine except email addressed to Spamcop. I get a notice that my account is suspended due to suspicious activity etc when I send to Spamcop.

I wrote to their help desk on the 1st day and of course, no response.

December 13th and Yahoo still suspends my account if I forward to Spamcop. No changes since my last post on Oct 27.

Also the same lack of any response from Yahoo help desk.

:angry:

December 13th and Yahoo still suspends my account if I forward to Spamcop. No changes since my last post on Oct 27.

Also the same lack of any response from Yahoo help desk.

Most frustrating I'm sure. I guess Yahoo! is scanning outgoing Email in a bid to prevent spam and it is correctly recognising your forwarded Emails as containing spam and, so, takes what it (a computer) considers to be appropriate action to protect their network.

Whilst I'm sure that it is annoying the other part of the mantra that you'll hear around here from time to time is that 'it's their network and therefore their rules.'

If you can persuade Yahoo! to relax their rules then you'll be able to report but my guess is that the reporting woes of a relative few individuals won't be enough to generate any kind of response. But others will continue to report from different Email addresses.

So thanks for your reporting previously and I hope you'll enjoy the freedom of not having to report for the time being.

Andrew

Archived