Godaddy mail forwarding

Dear Spamcop,

Over the last week my mail has been taking up to 12 hours to receive from the time it is sent. Example.

If I send an email to myself using my godaddy-hosted-and-forwarded-mail email address at 08:30 (placing the time in the subject) and I will receive it at approximately 20:30 the same day.

If I send direct to spamcop it take no more than a minute.

I contacted Godaddy and forwarded them a number of email headers.

This was their reply.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting advanced support. After reviewing the headers provided, and our server logs, we have found that we are attempting to send the email to the address **EMAIL REMOVED** forwards to, but it is not immediately accepted. Please contact your service provider that is receiving the emails, and provide these headers to them for review. Thank you for your patience while we reviewed this issue.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.

Sincerely,

XXXX

Happy to PM the same headers. Any help greatly accepted.

It sounds like the email may be getting delayed by Greylisting.

Get into your "SpamCop Tools" and disable Greylisting and then test to see if the delivery times change.

Greylisting is a useful defense against spam, so you might want to re-enable it and put up with the delays.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

I think Don may have put his finger on the problem. Sometimes the [retry interval]-[number of retries attempted] gets changed (ie, by godaddy in this case) and receipt through greylisting no longer works for mail through that provider to one or more services using greylisting with conflicting parameters. Helpdesks at such providers may not even be aware of the change or it may be only a temporary glitch.

Or there may have been a change on the SC side or the server problem has re-surfaced as you suggest (in either of those cases we would expect more people to chime in with "me too"s).

Archived