Twitter getting banned..

kevinf

I've registered on twitter today, and guess what:

Nov 22 22:54:35 ********* postfix/smtpd[17122]: connect from mx004.twitter.com[128.121.146.153]

Nov 22 22:54:35 ********* postfix/smtpd[17122]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mx004.twitter.com[128.121.146.153]: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [128.121.146.153] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?128.121.146.153; from=<confirmation-pba**pg=**********se-afbe0[at]postmaster.twitter.com> to=<*********> proto=ESMTP helo=<mx004.twitter.com>

Nov 22 22:54:36 ********* postfix/smtpd[17122]: disconnect from mx004.twitter.com[128.121.146.153]

Oh my..!

It wasn't the first time because twitter was telling me it couldn't mail me (it says this almost everytime i connect to another account).

I don't know who is reporting them, if it's a mistake it's often repeated...

Would be great to whitelist them..

Thanks a lot

128.121.146.153 = mx004.twitter.com is sending mail to our users and to our spamtraps.

24 different users have identified the IP as a spam source.

A spamtrap is an unused address whose sole reason for existence is to see if people will send unsolicited mail to it. Spamtraps are basically the nonexistent addresses at small vanity domains owned by us or our associates. Mail to nonexistent addresses is proof-positive that email addresses are being added to a mailing list without the address owner's permission.

We don't have a whitelist.

No mercy for an IP that is sending mail to our traps.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

128.121.146.153 = mx004.twitter.com is sending mail to our users and to our spamtraps.

24 different users have identified the IP as a spam source.

A spamtrap is an unused address whose sole reason for existence is to see if people will send unsolicited mail to it. Spamtraps are basically the nonexistent addresses at small vanity domains owned by us or our associates. Mail to nonexistent addresses is proof-positive that email addresses are being added to a mailing list without the address owner's permission.

We don't have a whitelist.

No mercy for an IP that is sending mail to our traps.

Hum then somebody might be abusing their service.. Probably abusing of the feature to invite some emails to twitter.. or something else..

But i thought it was harsh to ban twitter.. I don't know why they don't try to fight more this situation..

I will try to get in touch with them. Thanks for the answer.

Hum then somebody might be abusing their service.. Probably abusing of the feature to invite some emails to twitter.. or something else..

But i thought it was harsh to ban twitter.. I don't know why they don't try to fight more this situation..

I will try to get in touch with them.

Yes, it seems a little harsh but where the owner is as unconcerned as Twitter seems to be you can be sure that the server will make it onto other lists as well. And that one has been sending spam for quite some time it seems. Ѕpam also received currently and over an extended period by the SORBS spamtraps, that IP address also banned long-term on quorum.to.

See http://multirbl.valli.org/dnsbl-lookup/128.121.146.153.html

Hum then somebody might be abusing their service

True, but I think you should be talking to your host/ISP. Normally mails flagged for spam endup in a junk folder. If your ISP deletes immediately emails, you don't get a chance to see them, so it is his fault.

I have run into this problem with the IPs where I send email from. My ISP uses different ips each time I send an email out and in some cases the IPs are blacklisted (because there are abuses) and in the meantime the other end never sees my email because their host has some lousy filter in place.

Twitter's mail admin has contacted us a few times to demand whitelisting. When I respond and explain that we're receiving spam from those IPs, he does not respond and then comes back a few weeks later to again demand whitelisting.
...VERY interesting! It's good that all of you included in "us" are talking to each other! :) <g>

Archived