Sub-Domain issues

There is a sentence on

http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=mhconf&...C3tD9ZwhRF3MxwL

that reads:

>You only need to register one address per service provider. SpamCop doesn't need to

>know if you have more than one address at the same place.

Is that really "one address per service provider" or is it possibly one address per domain? I have several domains through one provider.

Thanks.

There is a sentence on

http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=mhconf&...C3tD9ZwhRF3MxwL

that reads:

>You only need to register one address per service provider. SpamCop doesn't need to

>know if you have more than one address at the same place.

Is that really "one address per service provider" or is it possibly one address per domain? I have several domains through one provider.

Thanks.

IIUC, it's "one address per set of MXs". What I call a set of MXs is the list of (one or more) mail exchangers accepting mail for a particular domain. It is possible (again, IIUC) that several domains (especially, several domains belonging to a single ISP) share a single set of MXs. So, (IIUC) if you register one addy per ISP it might or might not be enough; but you never need to register separately two addies which differ only before the at-sign.

When it asks for the standard name of your carrier, you are going to enter the name of the company. You may have to look around if it has been a while since you signed up and are using your own domain name. Your email address goes in the first box, and the non-computery name goes in the second.

For instance, optusnet.com.au is called OptusNet.

access.net.au is AccessNet Australia.

Etc.

IIUC, it's "one address per set of MXs". What I call a set of MXs is the list of (one or more) mail exchangers accepting mail for a particular domain. It is possible (again, IIUC) that several domains (especially, several domains belonging to a single ISP) share a single set of MXs. So, (IIUC) if you register one addy per ISP it might or might not be enough; but you never need to register separately two addies which differ only before the at-sign.

That's correct. SpamCop is only interested in knowing about the mail servers that handle your mail. If your host always uses the same servers no matter what domain gets the traffic, then you only need one address per host. If some domains are handled by one server, but others are handled by different servers, then you'll need to configure enough addresses that all the servers your host uses are accounted for.

Same applies to forwarding services such as Bigfoot, or professional associations that provide email addresses for their members.

- Don -

Archived