[Resolved] Problems with incoming mail

I think that one of the mail processes may have got stuck on Spamcop's systems; about 1 in 3 messages sent to Spamcop is failing to turn up in my inbox, and neither is it in "Held Mail". I've sent myself half a dozen test messages from three different sources; 2 of the 6 (sent from different sources) have not appeared in my inbox.

I've reported the issue using the "Problem" screen on webmail, although I haven't yet had an acknowledgement (although the acknowledement may, of course, have itself got stuck in the system!)

Regards,

Chris

Spamcop picks up mail from my ISP by POP3, but I've verified that the problem is occuring both with mail collected from my ISP, and with mail sent directly to my spamcop account: something like half to a third the e-mail is not reaching my inbox.

Hi Chris,

There was apparently an issue with inbound mail some three weeks ago, supposedly resolved. You should get a ticket number if you register a fault/query. Maybe try sending details from an external mail account to support[at]spamcop.net

There was apparently an issue with inbound mail some three weeks ago, supposedly resolved. You should get a ticket number if you register a fault/query. Maybe try sending details from an external mail account to support[at]spamcop.net

Thanks - I reported it again and this time got an automated acknowledgement back, but the problem continues: just sent myself another 6 test messages. 4 delivered; the other two vanished into a black hole.

Hopefully it'll get resolved in the near future.

Chris

Hi, ViRGE,

...Sorry to hear of your problem. If you haven't already done so, please submit this via the "Problem" screen on SpamCop webmail and also send an e-mail to support[at]spamcop.net.

...Good luck!

Already done. Honestly I'm going to be surprised if I get a real response before next week however.

JT does have a support person involved, and this address mentioned is 'handled' by both. Another route might be a PM to email_support within this Forum ... causing a notification sent to yet another e-mail address for this person. That said, I've done just that.

Just noting that the issue has not been raised over in the newsgroups thus far, suggesting that the problem is pretty isolated at present ... yeah, I know, big assumption. just saying ....

JT does have a support person involved, and this address mentioned is 'handled' by both. Another route might be a PM to email_support within this Forum ... causing a notification sent to yet another e-mail address for this person. That said, I've done just that.

Just noting that the issue has not been raised over in the newsgroups thus far, suggesting that the problem is pretty isolated at present ... yeah, I know, big assumption. just saying ....

Thanks Wazoo. :)

I almost didn't catch it. I just happened to be looking at the external account when I noticed the mail I read never made it through SC after it was popped off. I'm not going to guess just how many people are affected, but it's quite easy to miss if you aren't expecting anything.

Sonofa! Even after disabling external popping, it's still making off with my mail (but at least it didn't disappear into the void this time). Something really screwy is going on.

Surprise!

We are investigating the problem. It has not affected all inbound mail only a portion of it. Thanks for letting us know.

Yay, a good surprise. I needed one of those. :)

Sonofa! Even after disabling external popping, it's still making off with my mail (but at least it didn't disappear into the void this time). Something really screwy is going on.

Yay, a good surprise. I needed one of those. :)

Ok we poured draino into the correct pipes and the 'missing' mail should start showing up. It's going to take a while for all the mail to process through the system but it all will. Thanks for your patience.

Ok we poured draino into the correct pipes and the 'missing' mail should start showing up. It's going to take a while for all the mail to process through the system but it all will. Thanks for your patience.

And replying to myself -- remember if your inbox sorts by time/date the missing mail is going to show up further up (or down) your preview page(s) as your email app sorts it into the time/date order ....

Thanks support. :)

If you don't mind my asking, what went wrong? And for that matter, why would the system keep POPing even after disabling the external POP feature?

Edit: Yay, there's my missing mail

Thank you for fixing the problem. With no replies to my problem report for so many hours I wad starting to think that I was the only person affected!
Funny enough, they did reply to my report probably an hour after I submitted it. However it went to the same place all my stuck mail went, which lead to it not showing up for a few hours. Using email to communicate about email problems doesn't work all that well, apparently. :lol:

Funny enough, they did reply to my report probably an hour after I submitted it. However it went to the same place all my stuck mail went, which lead to it not showing up for a few hours. Using email to communicate about email problems doesn't work all that well, apparently. :lol:
A penetrating analysis ViRGE :D . Hence my suggestion to the O/P to use another, external, email account to notify the problem to support (anyone who has not yet discovered the advisability of maintaining a free/spare email account on another network is just plain lucky, totally unobservant about their deliveries and receipts or a very infrequent user). Also Wazoo's suggestion to use PM from this forum. Well worth you pointing out the problem (read gratitude) and worth re-iterating for the benefit of any revisiting this topic.

Thank you for fixing the problem. With no replies to my problem report for so many hours I wad starting to think that I was the only person affected!

The email_support person replied to my PM with the statement that both e-mails received on this issue were replied to. I suspected the the problems described is where those replies ended up. So perhaps it was only "you two" that had (or at least noticed) the problem. At any rate, thanks to all concerned on noticing, documenting, and resolving the issue.

yeah sorry about that -- I had a meeting and managed to miss a chunk of the day doing productive work.

Thanks support. :)

If you don't mind my asking, what went wrong? And for that matter, why would the system keep POPing even after disabling the external POP feature?

Edit: Yay, there's my missing mail

We had a mail processing server with a problem and the problem worsened on that server until it developed a big backlog. There are other servers which provide the same services so it was not obvious that there was a problem as a good percentage of the mail was getting through successfully as the other servers picked up the load on new emails. As the day progressed the other servers also developed backlogs ....

The servers that do the POP are different than the servers that process the mail after it is received. The POP servers generate lists of IPs to POP and they run concurrently so the POP requests were already in the various POP server queues after you disabled the POP function. As each of those servers ran it's queue your POP IP would not have been generated in the new lists. So stopping POP is not an instantaneous event.

• 2 months later...

Thanks.

I already tried the problem button yesterday, just before I went to bed. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to get the attention of anyone. I have now tried the other suggestions. I hope I am getting through to someone this time.

Archived