Is zixcorp.com a spammer?

rw1000

For the past two days, I've received about a dozen emails from zixcorp.com saying that some user had sent me a secure email and they want me to log in to retrieve it.

I don't recognize the address that they claim tried to send me the secure messge, so I've contacted both that address and support[at]zixcorp.com and asked them to stop sending me emails. There's no "unsubscribe" link in their email, which seems to violate CAN-spam?

To my surprise, within a day I got a reply from support[at]zixcorp.com, but they claim that they have no responsibility for the emails, nor do they have any way to stop them since they are "just a mail relay".

What recourse do I have to stop these emails beyond reporting them to Spamcop and emailing their upstream ISP?

Here's the original email I got from them (I received dozens, each similar):

You have a ZixMessage Center message from info[at]xxxxx.com.

To view the secure message, click here.

Do not reply to this notification message as it was auto-generated by the senders security system. To reply to the sender, please go to your secure message by clicking on the link above.

The secure message expires on Apr 21, 2011 [at] 10:30 PM (GMT).

To send and receive secure email messages directly from your Inbox, try ZixMail

Here is their support engineer's reply:

Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 16:37:44 -0600 (CST)

To: <xxxxx[at]gmail.com>

Subject: Re: Re: Fwd: ZIXbwmo Herndon A. Snider Placement History

Hi Xxxxxx,

We have no control over where emails are sent to. We are an email

encryption provider and simply allow relay access through our servers.

Support Engineer

Zix Corporation

Here's partial mail headers from the original email I received from them:

Return-Path: <SecureEmailFrom_info_bbaddbccdadahbgajc[at]zixmessagecenter.com>

Received: from smtpout.zixmail.net (smtpout.zixmail.net [63.71.8.107])

by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id v10si4148357anf.161.2011.03.31.15.30.31

(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=OTHER);

Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:30:31 -0700 (PDT)

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of SecureEmailFrom_info_bbaddbccdadahbgajc[at]zixmessagecenter.com designates 63.71.8.107 as permitted sender) client-ip=63.71.8.107;

Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of SecureEmailFrom_info_bbaddbccdadahbgajc[at]zixmessagecenter.com designates 63.71.8.107 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=SecureEmailFrom_info_bbaddbccdadahbgajc[at]zixmessagecenter.com

Received: from mailhost (unknown [192.168.128.228])

by smtpout.zixmail.net (Proprietary) with ESMTP id DE78C2C2ADD

for <xxxx[at]gmail.com>; Thu, 31 Mar 2011 16:30:30 -0600 (CST)

From: "info[at]bwmo.com"<SecureEmailFrom_info_bbaddbccdadahbgajc[at]zixmessagecenter.com>

To: xxxx[at]gmail.com

Reply-To: SecureEmailReply[at]zixmessagecenter.com

Subject: ZIXbwmo Herndon A. Snider Placement History

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:30:30 CDT

MIME-Version: 1.0

Message-Id: <20110331223030.DE78C2C2ADD[at]smtpout.zixmail.net>

...It sounds as if they're clueless. Their argument tantamount to an ISP saying that they are not responsible for spam sent by a client because they (the ISP) are merely providing the server through which the spam is sent!

...If you submit the spam to SpamCop's parser, it should come up with a spam source and hopefully an abuse e-mail address to which to send a complaint. I suggest that only because that abuse address might not be zixcorp.com. From what you've posted, though, it seems as if the parser is likely to finger zixcorp.

What recourse do I have to stop these emails beyond reporting them to Spamcop and emailing their upstream ISP?
That sounds good to me.

This doesn't look like a widespread problem. You're the only one reporting, and their IP (63.71.8.107) doesn't show up on any blocking lists. It sounds they just have a bad apple who is taking advantage.

Maybe you could ask them to deny access to the abuser.

Administrative Contact:

Kalan, John admin[at]zixcorp.com

Zix Corporation

2711 N. Haskell Ave.

Suite 2300

Dallas, TX 75204

214-370-2000

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

Archived