account shutdown? email forwarding?

After many years enjoying email at

w e s t m j (at sign) spamcop.net

and many people and organizations using that email to reach me, I would like to switch email providers.

How do I gracefully leave (stop paying for) email here?

Can I (please please please) set a forwarding address? Feel free to bounce a return message giving my forwarding address.

Thanks! Please copy responses to

w e s t m j (at sign) spamcop.net

as I know I will never be able to get back here again- though your answer here may help others.

Yours in Peace;

Mike

Can't readily imagine why the O/P might be unable to browse back here to read responses and since the IP-address he has posted from is supposedly accessed by a compromised machine ...

This IP is infected with, or is NATting for a machine infected with TrojanDownloader:Win32/Ponmocup.A (Microsoft).

This was detected by observing this IP attempting to make contact to a Ponmocup Command and Control server, with contents unique to Ponmocup C&C command protocols.

Ponmocup is known by other names: Swisyn.s (McAfee), Trojan.Win32.Swisyn.jyb (Kaspersky) and W32.Changeup!gen (Symantec).

... I am declining to email the SC address offered and simply use this post to invite contact with email support - support[at]spamcop.net - to put the account owners' request. I have conducted no research on the alleged compromise but must assume the address is not fully under the control of the owner and that one or more machines connecting through it are not fully-controlled - and I can readily imagine all sorts of tricks that might be attempted in that situation.

It would, indeed, be nice to know the outcome (for the benefit of others ...).

Thanks Don.

Just to note there is no provision to provide forwarding services for closed SC email accounts (advised by SC support). I guess, at US$30 per year, it would not be a huge imposition to keep an account open for a year or two beyond the time it might be used for regular purposes, just to handle forwarding, in situations like the O/P's. I once did that with an old and well-known ibm/att/attglobal account at A$120 (plus GST) per year for 2 years. Ended up, I received maybe two or three legitimate messages in all that time. But I sure got a lot of spam to report. :D YMMV.

Archived