free/paid mailhost oops

:rolleyes: OK after hacking around in the mist for a day or so I can report complete success.

I inavertently configured mailhosts for my free reporting account (I am a spamcop-mail subscriber too). Perhaps because of this I first got

"Sorry, the email sample you submitted for me.name[at]my-isp.net.nowhere

appears to traverse more than one domain" {meaning spamcop-mail ?)

So I backed out by clicking the delete link and asked to configure me.name[at]cqmail.net explicitly first which worked fine.

then me.name[at]my-isp.net.nowhere

then me.name[at]my-other-account-which forwards.

and then did test report-spam & cancel on emails to my-isp.net.nowhere and to my-other-account-which forwards which both gave the expected results.

If anyone need a reporting account with no mailhosts in its profile I would think an additional free reporting account would be suitable, one only needs a spare email address when setting it up.

If Spamcop has many users of a given isp then if it changes its configuration there is a problem. Automatic change for all or reporting freeze or what ? Of course it may then revert to its old configuration so maybe we wnat to keep both.

* Suggestion *

If mailhosts works, spamcop will be in a position to make TWO (2) entries in the BL when a spam is sent from a webmail provider, the IP of the user (possibly a dial-up or internet-cafe or WIFI zone) AND the webmail's mail sender. Both are spammy.

• 5 weeks later...
:rolleyes: OK after hacking around in the mist for a day or so I can report complete success.

I inavertently configured mailhosts for my free reporting account (I am a spamcop-mail subscriber too). Perhaps because of this I first got

"Sorry, the email sample you submitted for me.name[at]my-isp.net.nowhere

appears to traverse more than one domain" {meaning spamcop-mail ?)

So I backed out by clicking the delete link and asked to configure me.name[at]cqmail.net explicitly first which worked fine.

then me.name[at]my-isp.net.nowhere

then me.name[at]my-other-account-which forwards.

and then did test report-spam & cancel on emails to my-isp.net.nowhere and to my-other-account-which forwards which both gave the expected results.

If anyone need a reporting account with no mailhosts in its profile I would think an additional free reporting account would be suitable, one only needs a spare email address when setting it up.

If Spamcop has many users of a given isp then if it changes its configuration there is a problem. Automatic change for all or reporting freeze or what ? Of course it may then revert to its old configuration so maybe we wnat to keep both.

* Suggestion *

If mailhosts works, spamcop will be in a position to make TWO (2) entries in the BL when a spam is sent from a webmail provider, the IP of the user (possibly a dial-up or internet-cafe or WIFI zone) AND the webmail's mail sender. Both are spammy.

When you get the "traverse more than one domain" you can ask for a waiver and I can straighten it out altho doing what you did -- backing our and submitting them separately is better.

Depending on the change that an ISP/host does it may be picked up automatically -- or if a change has to be made manually it should propagate to other users.

We are sending, in some cases now, reports to the webmail provider altho not for BLing as well as to the actual injection.

Archived