spam tolerant ISPs

newsmedia

Is there any effective action that can be taken again a spam tolerant ISP network?

Over the past few weeks the dozens of reports have been filed to abuse[at]rcs-rds.ro (Romania) which is hosting spamming websites.

These websites seem to appear on a daily basis and the ISP appears to be doing nothing about it.

Would be grateful to hear from anyone with information on possible courses of effective action against the ISP - including closing it down or prosecuting under EU anti-spam laws.

Rgds

Keith

Is there any effective action that can be taken again a spam tolerant ISP network?
What?! A Romanian network accused of hosting spam websites? I'm shocked ... shocked!

Seriously, I don't think there are many things that we as users could do if the people who operate the network do not have the will to control the problem. If you could find an "upstream" provider for the address block in question, you could direct a query to them, but in the case of Romania that seems very futile to me (and since rcs-rds.ro appears to control a block of at least /16 in size, they may well be a direct allocation so there's upstream you could appeal to).

The situation is somewhat different for spam web hosting than for spam mail sending (where allowing spammers to use your network could have tangible consequences for you). It is much easier for a network operator to ignore spam hosting complaints because he is very well insulated from the consequences.

-- rick

It is much easier for a network operator to ignore spam hosting complaints because he is very well insulated from the consequences.

Thanks for your response Nick.

The lack of avenue of effective action against such service providers is something of a problem, I'm sure you'll agree.

Thanks for your response Nick.

The lack of avenue of effective action against such service providers is something of a problem, I'm sure you'll agree.

You might be interested in Complainterator

http://www.complainterator.com/

It automates complaints to registrars of domain names

I have not used it in years and not tried latest version.

If you can include the SpamCop reporting link as evidence of spamming

I found it very effective

Reporting just emails does solve security issues of the ISP and spammers don't like this

spammers really hate their spamvertised website closed

Archived