When and how to go upstream?

marc1

For the past few weeks I have been getting spam from the same two hosting providers. They use a pool of IP addresses. I report each incident, but nothing happens -- still getting spam from them. They seem to be both sending the spam and getting the abuse reports.

At what point and how do I report the abuse upstream?

Thanks.

I would appreciate it If you could send me the "TRACKING URL" from the top of the SpamCop parse page when you're processing one of these spams.

I would like to look into this. We don't like to send the spam reports directly to the spammer.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

I would appreciate it If you could send me the "TRACKING URL" from the top of the SpamCop parse page when you're processing one of these spams.

Sent via PM. I should clarify that I don't know reports are going directly to the spammer, but I also haven't seen any progress in weeks of reporting.

I am familiar enough with Spamcop to know that usually after a report or two, things typically get resolved. In this case nothing seems to be happening after many reports.

...I also haven't seen any progress in weeks of reporting.

I am familiar enough with Spamcop to know that usually after a report or two, things typically get resolved. In this case nothing seems to be happening after many reports.

Hi!

I'm wondering what progress you are expecting. You might bear in mind that your reports alone would not have much effect. The parsing process uses a complex algorithm which requires reports from more than one reporter (amongst many other things).

Additionally, in order to benefit from a successful listing you need to be using the Spamcop Block List (SCBL) as part of your spam filtering regime. If you run your own mail server then you might be doing that otherwise you are at the mercy of your Email provider. Of course you'll have a wider range of spam filtering tools in place than the SCBL alone.

Andrew

Hi, marc1,

<snip>

how do I report the abuse upstream?

...If your question is how to find upstream providers, see if SpamCop Forum article "Question about finding upstream providers" helps you. If your question is what to do once you know the upstream's address, I would say that you could just send an e-mail that includes a forwarded copy of the spam and a note as to why you are contacting them and what you would like them to do about the spam. If you can find an AUP or related document either for the provider or for the upstream, you could include that, as well.

EDIT Jul 25, 2012 by SteveT: Please see marc1's reply in SpamCop Forum article "singlehop.com".

Archived