flagged trusted / not configured

Can anyone explain more about the parser's conclusion here:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z396488127z33...c1721d7fcda912z

It is not very complicated, but I have never seen the following message before:

64.164.98.8 is flagged as trusted, but is not a registered mailhost, notifying admin

It seems to me the source of the mail is the dsl connection at 64.170.197.83 (which is on the SCBL.) The parser identified 64.164.98.8 instead. I did notice that 64.164.98.8 is listed in SORBS for sending to spamtraps...

Can anyone explain more about the parser's conclusion here:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z396488127z33...c1721d7fcda912z

It is not very complicated, but I have never seen the following message before:

64.164.98.8 is flagged as trusted, but is not a registered mailhost, notifying admin

That message replaces (in the parser's logic) the even more disquieting one:

[hostname] flagged as trusted, but not configured.

Your mailhost configuration is incomplete.

You must configure all your mailhosts before you can submit spam.

It means that the spammer is not sending direct-to-MX; instead, your incoming mail routers got this spam from some other, trusted, outgoing-mail server (presumably for a disposable webmail account). SC notifies the latter's admin and also takes its received-line into account to determine the source of spam.

Of course, if the hostname in question does belong to your ISP, and not to some "foreign" mail company, then maybe your ISP is reorganizing its incoming-mail configuration, and in that case you would still need to reconfigure, first by going back to your Mailhosts page and jumping once more through the hoops of the configuration rigmarole, and then, if that doesn't avail, by either requesting a "waiver" or (if that possibility is not available to you) writing to deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net

Archived