***Email **** Important Update

The email system is back up and operational and processing *new* mail. The old mail is not available at this time. In order to get the system back up, new hardware was put into service. We are working to get the old mail back online.

We realize this is a major inconvenience for everyone and are doing everything we can to restore the system and old email to it's previous state.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI, while we can login to our webmail accounts, and see the Inbox count incrementing upward in the sidebar, the actual mail frame is currently not loading.

DT

It's working fine for me, David - other than the lack of old mail, of course.

Chris

It's working fine for me, David - other than the lack of old mail, of course.

Then it's inconsistent across user accounts/configurations. I just restarted my PC, cleared my browser cache (even all cookies) and tried again, both HTTP and HTTPS and although I get the sidebar, and can load *some* screens in the main frame (such as my Filters), the mail frame won't load. I checked my wife's SC account, her mailbox will appear, but we have the sidebar turned off on her login, so that's one difference, I suppose.

DT

Then it's inconsistent across user accounts/configurations. I just restarted my PC, cleared my browser cache (even all cookies) and tried again, both HTTP and HTTPS and although I get the sidebar, and can load *some* screens in the main frame (such as my Filters), the mail frame won't load. I checked my wife's SC account, her mailbox will appear, but we have the sidebar turned off on her login, so that's one difference, I suppose.

DT

I don't have a sidebar on my webmail screen (I have to confess that I not sure which sidebar you're referring to?), so perhaps that is the issue?

Chris

The email system is back up and operational and processing *new* mail. The old mail is not available at this time. In order to get the system back up, new hardware was put into service. We are working to get the old mail back online.

We realize this is a major inconvenience for everyone and are doing everything we can to restore the system and old email to it's previous state.

Thanks for the detailed update.

It's called the "SpamCop Menu" and is available in the display options in the webmail. I just turned mine off, and instead of allowing me to see my mailbox, I now get errors in Chrome and a blank window in Firefox, so things are apparently not consistent across all the user accounts. I'm hoping they've got a good strategy about restoring ALL the missing mail.

DT

DT

Write to support[at]cesmail.net and include your [at]spamcop.net/cesmail.net/cqmail.net email address so I can check out your account.

Email-support

Thanks for fixing that. It appears that the Horde/IMP installed on the new hardware might not have some of the SC-specific tweaks that the dead one did, including the "SpamCop menu," so people who had that enabled will probably experience the same thing that I did.

BTW, the version of Horde/IMP has been getting pretty stale lately--I've got a much more functional, up-to-date version on my own server. Might be too much to ask, but this might be an opportunity to upgrade the webmail software, during the work to restore the old mail.

DT

We are working to get the old mail back online.

Considering the amount of email I have on the line here, is it possible to get a clearer statement along the lines of "All the old mail is backed up and has not been lost" rather than "we are working on it"?

I don't mind waiting for it to reappear, as long as I have piece of mind that it still exists.

Thanks in advance for the reassurance. And yes -- I'll start backing up after this :blush:

Considering the amount of email I have on the line here, is it possible to get a clearer statement along the lines of "All the old mail is backed up and has not been lost" rather than "we are working on it"?

I agree. Can we get a more specific update?

I have a slightly old backup of my email, but would prefer not to take the time to go through my restore process and the problems this may introduce, if I know email is coming back online in the near future...

I'm sure you folks are doing all you can, but can we get some sort of update on expectations of when this may be fixed? Haven't heard anything since right after the problem which was 8 hours ago. You expecting a fix today or 24 hours or a few days?

Would just like some info so I know whether to dig into my backups, since all my email disappeared with the POP update this morning.

I'm sure you folks are doing all you can, but can we get some sort of update on expectations of when this may be fixed? Haven't heard anything since right after the problem which was 8 hours ago. You expecting a fix today or 24 hours or a few days?

Would just like some info so I know whether to dig into my backups, since all my email disappeared with the POP update this morning.

Amen. It's well past time for an update.

I don't mind waiting for it to reappear, as long as I have piece of mind that it still exists.

Thanks in advance for the reassurance. And yes -- I'll start backing up after this :blush:

I cannot give you a guarantee that 100% of the old mail will come back. We are pretty sure it will but we won't know if there is any corruption until we actually start the work. It is not just a simple restore. Our intention is to get 100% of the mail back and we will do everything we can to make that happen.

Probably better them than your ISP.

If my ISP is reading my email then we have bigger issues as someone broke SSL. If Spamcop is reading my email then we need to sit down and have a long and serious discussion. :blink:

I cannot give you a guarantee that 100% of the old mail will come back. We are pretty sure it will but we won't know if there is any corruption until we actually start the work. It is not just a simple restore. Our intention is to get 100% of the mail back and we will do everything we can to make that happen.

Thanks for the update. I'm sure I'm not the only one who cares *much more* about the old mail than the new mail that's coming in (which I'm already copying/archiving to GMail). I haven't used a PC-based mail client for the last several years, and besides a rather bloated inbox (which needed a lot of cleaning out), most of the stuff in my folders was very important. I would happily take a slightly more outdated *good* restore (say from a week ago) than a corrupted/incomplete more recent restore, but we have no idea what your backup/restore options are.

Please do what you can to keep us updated.

Thanks,

DT

I cannot give you a guarantee that 100% of the old mail will come back. We are pretty sure it will but we won't know if there is any corruption until we actually start the work. .

Thanks for the update. When will work start? Are we looking at days without our e-mail at this point?

That is a phenomenal statement. Really, really something.

JUST RESTORE FROM THE BACKUPS. Go back a day if you have to, but restore.

Corruption? Just restore from backups if the live server data is corrupted.

Are there not daily iterative backups taken and segregated to safe media on separate servers?

Thanks for the update. I'm sure I'm not the only one who cares *much more* about the old mail than the new mail that's coming in (which I'm already copying/archiving to GMail). I haven't used a PC-based mail client for the last several years, and besides a rather bloated inbox (which needed a lot of cleaning out), most of the stuff in my folders was very important. I would happily take a slightly more outdated *good* restore (say from a week ago) than a corrupted/incomplete more recent restore, but we have no idea what your backup/restore options are.

Please do what you can to keep us updated.

Thanks,

DT

I need the OLD MAIL.. NEED NEED NEED is a putting it simply... I went to find something tonight and of course it is in one of the folders on the server that is currently gone. If I cant get this all back, I think I will be moving on to something else.. I would think that a mail host would have more then one backup of everyones mail accounts.. I to network support and we have enough backups that I could restore a previous night, previous week or previous month depending on what happened.

I hate to be this harsh but I am in dire need of the old mail and folders... very important stuff related to my business that I cant live without.....

That is a phenomenal statement. Really, really something.

JUST RESTORE FROM THE BACKUPS. Go back a day if you have to, but restore.

Corruption? Just restore from backups if the live server data is corrupted.

Are there not daily iterative backups taken and segregated to safe media on separate servers?

I would hope they do daily full backups, then a weekly full backup and take them off site and also a monthly full backup.. were I work we do a FULL BACKUP on SUNDAY and then an incremental backup every day on different tapes. then once a month we do a monthly backup.. all tapes ar rotated and taken off site..

I would HOPE that since I am reading there might be corruption on the data, that there is a backup from the night before, day before that and then a weekly backup... one of them CAN BE RESTORED I would think...

PLEASE update us ASAP... I need my folders and mail back and I am sure others do to.. if for some reason we come to find out that there arent backups that can be restored, then I for one am going somewhere were I can trust that my important mail is getting backed up....

14 hours since the last status update.

For me, after a decade relying on this SpamCop CES Mail, and sometimes from some pretty wild international locations, this is sad to see. Really.

Who knows, maybe there's more to this than just a bumbled failure recovery. I'm willing to hold judgement until the final story is told. But, this kind of an outage... in 2011....

Well, OK. I'm going to wait and see if they can restore the lost mail, and if some kind of explanation is forthcoming, and what it says.

Archived