am i reporting spam correctly

trexz990

I have just recently learned about Spamcop. I get many spam emails a day. i just forwarded spamcop 5 spam emails from my inbox. I got email responses back from spamcop and they all start with:

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

the respone email also has quite a bit of other information including what i think is the forwarded spam with all of its underlying technical header info.

So am i getting the spam to spamcop or do i need to do something different? On the 'Report spam' spamcop screen it says to forward spam to: and an address. So thats what I'm doing. Forwarding to that email address.

Thanks

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

This is normal for message that were forwarded inline to your reporting address. Since SpamCop can only trust intact and untouched messages, it will only allow messages that were forwarded as an attachment.

the respone email also has quite a bit of other information including what i think is the forwarded spam with all of its underlying technical header info.

This message will contain the headers of the email that was sent to the delivery address

Hi, trexz990,

...Welcome!

<snip>

So am i getting the spam to spamcop or do i need to do something different? On the 'Report spam' spamcop screen it says to forward spam to: and an address. So thats what I'm doing. Forwarding to that email address.

Thanks

...What I would suggest is, if you have not already done so, read the "SpamCop FAQ" (links near top left of each SpamCop Forum page) article labeled "How do I submit spam via email?" If you still have questions after reading that article, please post those as a follow-up here. Thanks!

...Good luck!

The reason you got an error message is because the full headers were not present in the spam you submitted. SpamCop needs to see the entire path the message took on its way to you so it can track the spam back to the source.

Maybe these FAQs will help:

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/17.html

If your mail client supports it, using the "Forward as attachment" function to send the spam as an email attachment to your 'submit' address is the best way. Although, it is not necessary to send as an attachment.

SpamCop is looking for the full headers in one contiguous block of text, followed by a blank line, which signals the end of the headers, and then followed by the body text of the spam. The parse won't accept headers if there is no body text with them.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Hi all, thanks for the help so far. I have Yahoo mail. It does not have an option to permanently display header info. And it doesnt have an option to forward as an attachment. i can only right click the email and then click 'view full header' and then copy paste that info which apparently isnt the right way to get the info to spamcop. I do see several 'Received' lines in the header info. If i can get these received lines sent exactly as is will that do it?

Thanks.

<snip>

I have Yahoo mail.

<snip>

...Ah! The prognosis is not good without a trick or two! In the textbox between the white button labeled "Search for -->" and the blue button labeled "GO," enter "new Yahoo" (including the quotes) then press either of the buttons; peruse the links returned.

...What I do is to just ignore spam that comes to my Yahoo spam folder (delete it) and report spam in my Inbox to Yahoo itself, not to SpamCop.

Ok. Cant find the "search for --->" and the blue go button to find those helpful links. Is that on Spamcop's web page? Or Yahoo mails web page? But I do seem to be making progress. Using Spamcop's 'process spam' window. Its the window that has this: "Paste entire spam (headers, blank line, body) - or - single address (one line only):" right above it.

I right click my spam to get the full header info. copy paste that into the process spam window. press enter to leave a blank line like it says to do. go back to my spam email. click forward to forward it. in this forward email window there is a 'switch to plain text' option. i click that. that puts a carrot '>' in front of all lines in the body of the email. i copy paste all those > lines to the process spam window. cancel out of the forward email process. finally i click the 'Process spam' button. It waits for a few seconds. Displays the next screen that has the 'Send Report' button on it. Click that and it sends to what appears to be the admin's of different sites that handle abuse emails. I think. Anyway, this process seems to be working.

And one last thought. The problem with ignoring the spam is that it isnt caught as spam. the From field is always slightly different. So is the Subject line. They must have some random From and Subject generator. I'll mark the latest one as spam but that exact From and Subject will probably never be repeated.

Thanks.

Ok. Cant find the "search for --->" and the blue go button to find those helpful links. Is that on Spamcop's web page?

<snip>

...Blush. Sorry, I generally include that in my replies! It is on the SpamCop Forum web pages (such as this one!), near the top of the page.
Anyway, this process seems to be working.
...That sounds right -- good sleuthing! :) <g>
And one last thought. The problem with ignoring the spam is that it isnt caught as spam. the From field is always slightly different. So is the Subject line. They must have some random From and Subject generator. I'll mark the latest one as spam but that exact From and Subject will probably never be repeated.

Thanks.

...Yep, sometimes spammers are clever! In this case, they've learned how Yahoo's (and probably many other webmail providers') spam sensing system works and created a mechanism to thwart it. Such cases fall under my practice of "report[ing] spam in my Inbox to Yahoo itself, not to SpamCop."

Archived