SpamCop Blocked ???

showker

I just found out my address is being blocked by a system (http://www.marketingprofs.com) and they will not let me register for a newsletter.

No problem, I can do without -- yet this is the SECOND time this has happened directly to my face.

QUESTION: is there some way to find out who is blocking your address???

I do not know if it's my address specifically or SpamCop as a whole.

I get spoofed a LOT. We're spam fighters, and I pursue spammers through their ISPs and providers ... as editor for www.Safenetting.com and the UGNN.com, spammers don't like me one bit.

It worries me because I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from spammers, and it would be very disappointing that I'm being blocked as a spammer.

:-)

Let me guess... you're on a dynamic IP?

Possible your IP was owned by some loser computer before it was reassigned to you. It should clear in time off the blacklists.

Failing that, see if you can get a new one either by clear/refresh your IP information or contacting your ISP.

Cheers!

...This is your SpamCop (outgoing) e-mail address that's being blocked? Maybe the newsletter admins are afraid of the word "spam" in your e-mail address. Does marketingprofs allow you to register for their newsletter from another e-mail account (if you don't have one, you can get one for free from Yahoo, GMail or HotMail, among others)?

...Possible your IP was owned by some loser computer before it was reassigned to you. It should clear in time off the blacklists.

Failing that, see if you can get a new one either by clear/refresh your IP information or contacting your ISP. ...

Could be something in that. The IP address Fred posted from, of all the major public BLs, is only in the Spamhaus PBL (as all dynamic addresses should be) but has a "Poor" SenderBase reputation rating so, presumably, has been abused in the past (somehow avoiding a persistent SORBS listing).

None of which should make a scrap of difference to him sending through his ISP's mail server or through SpamCop but ... who knows? The totally misguided zeal of some mail admins knows no bounds, they (or marketingprofs) may be drilling down to the originator and behaving badly when the IP address comes up. I understand that does happen, they're only paid to know the little they know and NO general ESP exactly lavishes resources on spam control if it requires the combination of intelligence, knowledge and adaptability.

Or, as Steve T says, maybe that misplaced zeal extends to the SC mail address. That has happened before too.

But, all-in-all, being barred from registering to receive a newsletter is a new low. Resetting the internet connection and checking the new address on multi RBLs and SB would seem a reasonable step to try before panicking too much.

Archived