Mail/dns issues

With some servers, if they initially can't deliver, they'll wait up to three days before giving up entirely. So *maybe* it will all eventually arrive, or maybe not. I'm in a terrible situation, in that I sent in an application for an IT job on Monday, just before all this crap started happening, and now I don't know if they may have tried contacting me for an interview. Hey guys in Georgia--this is screwing with people's lives!!!!!

DT

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To the the average user it's all Spamcop.
...Indeed, that's why I mentioned it! It is reasonable for users who are unaware of the facts to expect SpamCop (Cisco/ Ironport) to have some control over a service called "SpamCop e-mail" -- but they don't!

I have not yet received all of my mail. Likewise for a relative's email account. (People that know how to contact us in ways other than email have asked if we've received their emails.)

I expected (hoped?) either the sender would have received a bounce by now, or the sending mail server would have retried at intervals, and should have met with success already...? But neither has happened... yet...

Most people have only my email address for a contact, so I have no way of knowing how many emails I have not received. Where would they go if they haven't bounced or been delivered?

(Note: These emails are either forwarded from another account to Spamcop email, or sent directly to my Spamcop email address. Not POP'd.)

When the sending mailserver failed to connect yesterday it should have notified the sender that the mail was not sent, that an error occurred.

When the sending mailserver failed to connect yesterday it should have notified the sender that the mail was not sent, that an error occurred.
It looks like not all mail has made it to the inbox or held mail folder. I had to have one user resend the message. I did a test to multiple email address that all forward to my spamcop address and they all were received quickly. At least that is some good news.

It looks like not all mail has made it to the inbox or held mail folder. I had to have one user resend the message. I did a test to multiple email address that all forward to my spamcop address and they all were received quickly. At least that is some good news.

When you say not all mail -- are you talking about mail sent after DNS was restored? If before DNS was restored then we were not receiving any mail during that period because we were invisible.

Archived