account disabled (apparently due to exceeding tiny daily submission limit)

While reporting the day's spam on spamcop.net, I got an error message stating that my account was disabled for reporting spam, apparently due to exceeding the daily limit. (I have reported more spam e-mail in a single day in the past.) The main spamcop.net page now includes the above text at the top (when I am logged in):

"Sorry, your account has been disabled.

Sorry, your account has been disabled.

Please check your email for an explanation or contact SpamCop service."

I did receive the e-mail referred to and it stated:

"In the 24 hours starting Tue May 22 06:19:58 2012, you have submitted over spams for processing, which exceeds our daily submission limit. No more submissions will be accepted. Your reporting account is disabled. Please reply if you are reporting spam in good faith and feel your account should be reinstated."

I replied about an hour ago and I haven't received a response yet. Sorry if I seem a bit hasty reporting on the forum as well already; but the ability to report spam expires after only two days. The reply that I sent is:

"I'm surprised that my reporting account is disabled. I am reporting spam in good faith and do indeed feel my account should be reinstated. I'm not aware what the daily submission limit is - I don't think I was every informed of one although I did donate some money to spamcop in the past year. If action was actually taken regarding previously reported spam, then I don't think I would have so much spam to report. In any case, I think I only reported about nine spam e-mail messages today - according to the report history for my account, of which only eight have reports filed. By the way, the e-mail from spamcop does not have a sensible send time (the year is 1970!) - it seems odd that a spam reporting service should be sending out e-mail messages that do not appear to have sensible information in the mail headers".

The bogus send time appears to be something that is found by Yahoo's web-based mail reader (which is revealed when I choose the option to reply). I can't actually see a 1970 date "in the clear" by casual inspection of the header (although a number of fields in the header are quite long and look like garbage - I don't think they intended for humans to read). According to my records, I paid (or "donated") 15 dollars for a year's service to Spamcop in January this year,

William Nicholson

Something's gone wrong - the daily limit is 3,000 (Is there a limit on reporting spam?) and the mail server date-time is certainly not normal. I think the Elbonians have been getting into the methanol again! (Joking - I can't recall ever hearing of this problem before). Hopefully SC Admin and/or e-mail support will respond to your e-mail soon - or to this post - and get things back on track for you. And any others similarly affected.

I'm having exactly the same issue. I replied to the notice, but no response so far.

While reporting the day's spam on spamcop.net, I got an error message stating that my account was disabled for reporting spam, apparently due to exceeding the daily limit. (I have reported more spam e-mail in a single day in the past.) The main spamcop.net page now includes the above text at the top (when I am logged in):

"Sorry, your account has been disabled.

Please check your email for an explanation or contact SpamCop service."

I did receive the e-mail referred to and it stated:

"In the 24 hours starting Tue May 22 06:19:58 2012, you have submitted over spams for processing, which exceeds our daily submission limit. No more submissions will be accepted. Your reporting account is disabled. Please reply if you are reporting spam in good faith and feel your account should be reinstated."

I replied about an hour ago and I haven't received a response yet. Sorry if I seem a bit hasty reporting on the forum as well already; but the ability to report spam expires after only two days. The reply that I sent is:

"I'm surprised that my reporting account is disabled. I am reporting spam in good faith and do indeed feel my account should be reinstated. I'm not aware what the daily submission limit is - I don't think I was every informed of one although I did donate some money to spamcop in the past year. If action was actually taken regarding previously reported spam, then I don't think I would have so much spam to report. In any case, I think I only reported about nine spam e-mail messages today - according to the report history for my account, of which only eight have reports filed. By the way, the e-mail from spamcop does not have a sensible send time (the year is 1970!) - it seems odd that a spam reporting service should be sending out e-mail messages that do not appear to have sensible information in the mail headers".

The bogus send time appears to be something that is found by Yahoo's web-based mail reader (which is revealed when I choose the option to reply). I can't actually see a 1970 date "in the clear" by casual inspection of the header (although a number of fields in the header are quite long and look like garbage - I don't think they intended for humans to read). According to my records, I paid (or "donated") 15 dollars for a year's service to Spamcop in January this year,

William Nicholson

When I first connected to Spamcop this morning I was getting some mixed up pages about 1/2 the time then, all of a sudden, it showed that my account was disabled. I think I had reported one spam at that point. I have been unable to report anything since.

I didn't receive any email about my account and my report has gone unanswered so far. I only have to assume that they are working on it. :(

Bill W

I must have gotten lucky, because I got an explanation from SpamCop Admin Don D'Minion after responding to the email I got (along with some wise advice, also suitable for other situations):

This is a problem on our end. SpamCop has gone berserk.

I reinstated your account so you can get back to business.

Spammers are using our own service against us by signing up for accounts and then flooding them with mail in hopes of bringing down the system from overload.

The 15,000 spams per day limit is our defense against that.

As always, when you experience a failure with SpamCop, the immediate action drill is to shut down your browser and go lie on the couch. :-)

I must have gotten lucky, because I got an explanation from SpamCop Admin Don D'Minion after responding to the email I got (along with some wise advice, also suitable for other situations):

Wow, sounds like Spamcop is effective. They wouldn't attack something that didn't bother them.

... Waiting patiently ...

Bill

I haven't had any response yet and also it appears that my account has not been reactivated within the stated 24 hours, despite what it said in the e-mail message from the SpamCop administrator. (I also e-mailed the deputies' address today and filled out the contact form on the SpamCop website although that was only about three hours ago, I think),

William

Same here. Account disabled and no response to emails. If this problem is as large at it would appear, I wish they would post something about it on the home page so not everyone would have to go through the same confusing mess.

• 2 months later...

i realise that this message is from may, and now it's august, but i am experiencing exactly the same problem: my account has been disabled. the message is:

In the 24 hours starting Thu Aug 9 08:34:52 2012, you have submitted over spams for processing, which exceeds our daily submission limit. No more submissions will be accepted. Your reporting account is disabled. Please reply if you are reporting spam in good faith and feel your account should be reinstated.

please tell me that it's because of a bug, because i haven't submitted any spam messages in the 24 hours starting Thu Aug 9 08:34:52 2012, because there hasn't been 24 hours since Thu Aug 9 08:34:52 2012...

:blink:

I can't even submit anything, when I log in I get:

Please check your email for an explanation or contact SpamCop service.

I haven't received any emails.

Plus, when I try to go to the site map or other pages, they look strange and there is a message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]".

I checked with Firefox, Chrome and IE, just in case my Adblock rules went wonky.

edit:

Okay, I just received the email:

In the 24 hours starting Wed Aug 8 18:23:24 2012, you have submitted over spams for processing, which exceeds our daily submission limit. No more submissions will be accepted. Your reporting account is disabled. Please reply if you are reporting spam in good faith and feel your account should be reinstated.

Uh-oh, salamandir, skeechan, dolorite - sounds like it's gone wrong again - unless you've received the e-mail to reply to, write to SpamCop Admin (Don D'Minion) at service[at]admin.spamcop.net

I'm in the same boat as dolorite. When I started reporting today (after a break of about two days), I got

Please check your email for an explanation or contact SpamCop service.

There was no email from SpamCop.

I've just checked again (to verify my email address is working) and now there *is* an email from SpamCop (it was sent in the last 20 minutes):

In the 24 hours starting Thu Aug 9 10:32:43 2012, you have submitted over spams for processing, which exceeds our daily submission limit. No more submissions will be accepted. Your reporting account is disabled. Please reply if you are reporting spam in good faith and feel your account should be reinstated.

I have not submitted more spams than normal.

Archived