Reporting problems today?

mrmaxx

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reporting accounts can be free or paid, free ones are a bit slower to use and have a "pleases help by paying" note added.

SpamCop.net

You are using SpamCop for free -

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THIS SERVICE! Upgrade your account today:

http://www.spamcop.net/upgradeaccount.shtml

Nothing fancy involved in changing back and forth, add fuel to become paid or use it all up and don't add more to become free.

Not sure how it works if you have a CES mail account.

Linux user here, if spamcop/cisco fixes this issue, I'll become a payed user, because I'm getting dinged by more spam then normal.

Don't have a clue what the issue is, but it might be something new which could be interesting, or cisco is dumping spamcop, and I hope that's not the case.

Is there any more information about what is causing this problem. I'm still unable to report spam today, getting the common error:

Gateway Timeout

The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.

Reference #1.37e84217.1341605120.1825b3ad

Is SC under a DoS attack that might be causing this?

Forrest

Is there any more information about what is causing this problem. I'm still unable to report spam today, getting the common error:

Is SC under a DoS attack that might be causing this?

Forrest

...Please see Don D'Minion's latest post 81487[/snapback]. Or am I missing the gist of your question?

No rumor mongering please. We'll comment on the problem as soon as we can.

In the meantime, we're making progress. Reporting should be back to slow-normal.

Let me know if you're still seeing timeouts.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

For me it has been a hit and miss affair lately. Sometimes it works, often it doesn't.

This is probably useless and has nothing to do with it, but just in case someone would be interested, these guys claim that because of the nature of their site, many have seen it as a challenge to hack/crack it since it went online 25 years ago. But no one has accomplished it so far in more than 1,000,000 attempts.

"How to prevent your site from getting hacked. How to repair a damaged site. Website security precautions.":

http://25yearsofprogramming.com/blog/20070705.htm

In the meantime, we're making progress. Reporting should be back to slow-normal.

Let me know if you're still seeing timeouts.

Gateway Timeout

Reference #1.62bf648.1341609187.209f1c0

:(

Spammers are using our own service against us by signing up for accounts and then flooding them with mail in hopes of bringing down the system from overload.

I understand they are using payd account as they use mail and not web reporting. Right?

I understand they are using payd account as they use mail and not web reporting. Right?

Every spam reporting account, (free, paid, and Email Service) has a "submit" email address that the user can send his spam to so that SpamCop can process it.

The spammers are signing up for a free account, getting the "submit" address, and then flooding it with email.

It's not really a problem. As soon as they figured out we have a limit, they pretty much gave up on the tactic.

Every spam reporting account, (free, paid, and Email Service) has a "submit" email address that the user can send his spam to so that SpamCop can process it.

The spammers are signing up for a free account, getting the "submit" address, and then flooding it with email.

It's not really a problem. As soon as they figured out we have a limit, they pretty much gave up on the tactic.

Thank you for the update. Again, all the best for the team's efforts to find a long-term solution. It seems that the best those of us who use the service can do for now is to be patient as things return to normal.

Thank you for the update. Again, all the best for the team's efforts to find a long-term solution. It seems that the best those of us who use the service can do for now is to be patient as things return to normal.

Just a quick note that I got the following from 2600:6:340:1::41ab:a791, if it helps.

Gateway Timeout

Reference #1.76a7ab41.1341613235.10034406

EDIT: It appears to be working again.

[snip]

From how it looks on my end, this looks to me like a network router/switch/network interface that's cooked rather than a hdd problem...

Normally I'd agree, but I fail to see how someone can DDOS Akamai. In case you didn't realize it, there's not ONE "www.spamcop.net" any more, there's multiple machines with that name. Unless there's just one database / processing server (doubtful) and someone happens to have the inside info on what that IP address is, I fail to see how someone could effectively DDOS the system. OTOH, I suppose some spammer somewhere could have a bunch of machines configured to hit "www.spamcop.net" all at once and that could be the problem, but you'd think that the SC admins would have checked their log files to see if there was a bunch of garbage hitting the web server interface or something.

Just got 4 spams through in good time!

Yay! :D

Still working here and the "reports sent" on the stats page is going up a little. We have two days from the time spam was received to go back and report if anyone has those.

The stats show that at the present daily rate of some quarter million submissions/reports processed per day, the system is running at around 25% of its longer-term average. The "excess" reports going out at the moment may include a short-term backlog but without the extreme spikes often seen before - a loading strategy in play, perhaps. Whatever, it is good if it reduces the frustration for webform submission users in this time when base processing is way, way down on "normal".

Halt but not halted, as it were.

It looks like we have gained the upper hand, and SpamCop is working normally now.

Maybe.

For now.

No promises.

I'm getting snappy responses to spam reporting and from my admin tools.

- Don D'Hopeful - SpamCop Admin -

Maybe. Some spam I submitted by email about 6 hours ago hasn't shown up yet in my list of recent reports, there could still be a bit of a backlog somewhere. Reporting via web form seems to be working OK though.

Archived