Reporting problems today?

mrmaxx

Looking at SpamCop statistics graph at http://members.spamcop.net/spamgraph.shtml?spamweek I noted that since Wednesday, July 4, 2012, reports sent have been higher than spam submitted that should not be happening as if there was no spam submitted, how could there be a report sent?

Now, I doubt there was a DDoS. Instead, it appears that reporting servers have been compromised, sending reports without spam submission.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at SpamCop statistics graph at http://members.spamcop.net/spamgraph.shtml?spamweek I noted that since Wednesday, July 4, 2012, reports sent have been higher than spam submitted that should not be happening as if there was no spam submitted, how could there be a report sent?

Now, I doubt there was a DDoS. Instead, it appears that reporting servers have been compromised, sending reports without spam submission.

I believe this is somewhat normal as one spam can be sent to more than one email. I believe each of those sent out count separately.

I believe this is somewhat normal as one spam can be sent to more than one email. I believe each of those sent out count separately.

>- I believe this is somewhat normal as one spam can be sent to more than one email. I believe each of those sent out count separately.

That's correct. Sometimes there are several reporting addresses for a spam.

That is usually due to the information we are getting from Abuse.net.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

If you take a look of all SpamCop statistics graphs at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...&page=stats you would know one spam can only have one report while identical report could be sent to more than one e-mail address. If user fails to click "Report Now" link with 48 hours of spam to send report, no report would be sent for the spam.

>- I believe this is somewhat normal as one spam can be sent to more than one email. I believe each of those sent out count separately.

That's correct. Sometimes there are several reporting addresses for a spam.

That is usually due to the information we are getting from Abuse.net.

I suspect that shows SpamCop working off a backlog of spam waiting to be processed. Not sure.
That is not possible due to users click "Report Now" link get time out, no report is sent as a result. When it did not get time out, reports were sent right away. Without users click "Report Now" link, SpamCop does not send report out by itself.

To sum up, SpamCop response is always in real time. Users forward spam via e-mail would get a response upon processed, no process, no e-mail response, likewise for web form submission. In other words, SpamCop does not and cannot response without processing spam. Similarly, SpamCop would not state report sent but actually sending report later.

Except when the spam is too old to report once the system works for a brief moment! :)
If spam is more than 48 hours old, no report would be sent. This is another reason why the number of reports sent is less than the number of spam submitted.

If you meant for a brief moment once reports can be sent there could be more reports sent than spam submitted for submitted spam less than 48 hours old that could not be sent earlier. This cannot be the case for following reasons:

1. You would see a lot more spam submitted than reports sent if any prior to reporting working again.

2. The sum of reports sent must be less than spam submitted over the whole down and up time period.

Even a few of my forwarded 'spam bundles' are taking overnight to return from SpamCop.net. Many of these are then 'too old' to send to admins. A fellow Spamcop.net user posted this question/explanation on a Mac forum 'http://mac-security.blogspot.com/'.

"New" topic merged with existing one.

I find this intermitence of ability to report quite disturbing, it is not just the bad guys flooding the system but the legitimate reports in cue that cause the large spikes I suspect are behind the present cycle of slow downs and disruption. Perhaps everyone should be sent a notice to stop submitting reports until the source of present issue is clearly identified and eliminated. I have a difficult time understanding why this service with all the resources and experience at its disposal cannot find a solution to the present problem in more than one week.

What is important to note in the statistics is that since Monday last week (10+1 days) the average submital/reporting has dropped down to less that 80% its norm. There is a paralel increase in the spam I recieve, especially the hard to get rid off (mostly Russian hosted in China) pill spam. Maybe someone else can corraborate my observations. On my side of the screen it deffinitely looks like the bad guys are winning this battle.

Is spamcop broken for good ? It's been weeks since this issue has started and over half of the spam I report can't be parsed for days resulting in old spam email that can't be reported and defeating the intended reason to use spamcop.

The lack of any communication from the tech guys and leaving it up to forum admin to answer is pointless. It also shows that spamcop doesn't care anymore because this issue has been going on for weeks with no official answer and the servers not responding.

So do we report here or not anymore ? Cause I'm wasting my time trying to report spam and the gateway broken.

We are not done fighting!!

Please hang in there with us. We will get this fixed! I promise!!

Old spam is old news. If you have submitted spam you haven't reported yet, it would be good if you will log into your account and use the "Remove all unreported spam" link, then start fresh.

SpamCop is running slow, but it's working. For now.

Everyone except spammers please note:

The e-mail address following "Forward your spam to:" may have been changed, please start using new e-mail address immediately.

Using old "Forward your spam to:" e-mail address will not get a response back from SpamCop.

We are not done fighting!!

Please hang in there with us. We will get this fixed! I promise!!

Old spam is old news. If you have submitted spam you haven't reported yet, it would be good if you will log into your account and use the "Remove all unreported spam" link, then start fresh.

SpamCop is running slow, but it's working. For now.

working?

not so much...

Gateway Timeout

The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.

Reference #1.86fa4317.1341840105.9daa65fb

Everyone except spammers please note:

The e-mail address following "Forward your spam to:" may have been changed, please start using new e-mail address immediately.

Are you sure?

My SpamCop reporting address looks the same as always, as far as I can see.

I mean, it still looks like the same gibberish it has always looked like, and it starts pretty much the same way.

OK, I've just checked it from my ANCIENT address book, and it's unchanged.

Once started using new "Forward your spam to:" e-mail address, got spam processed timely. Reports have been sent promptly after clicking "Report Now" link. Consequently, I have cleared all backlog. Reports did get delay as much as 40 hours. Nevertheless, all spam were reported since delay began about a week ago.

OK, I've just checked it from my ANCIENT address book, and it's unchanged.
Do you get a response from SpamCop for spam forwarded by e-mail? If not, watch for new "Forward your spam to:" e-mail address.

Got response back from SpamCop for spam forwarded timely. In contrast, SpamCop home page cannot be loaded, got following error messages just now: :(

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.1f4f32d0.1341842890.140da2

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.1e4f32d0.1341843036.94368e

The reporting page is not even loading for me now! It seems to be going from bad to worse...

And after several failed attempts same cr*p:

Gateway Timeout

The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.

Reference #1.3511fed5.1341843929.342800e

Click "Report Now" link just now, got:

SpamCop v 4.6.2.001 © 1992-2012 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

Failed to load spam header: 5367301919 / 31873653b61bacd8b3aed9717872264d

Archived