Reporting problems today?

mrmaxx

I noticed that now my inbox at my mail account at SpamCop.net is being flooded with spam. After I have enabled Greylisting, already 66 posts were intercepted as pending. I do not know if Greylisting also lessens the burden on SpamCop's webmail, or only that of the inbox of the users. If it would relief the pressure on the webmail, I suggest that all who are noticing the same spam-flood enable Greylisting.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>- can we expect that all support for spamcop will be dropped shortly or what?

Geez... There is simply nothing like the wild speculation we see when there is trouble.

SpamCop will be fixed!! I promise!!

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

can't even get the held mail page....

<snip>

I received a response from Richard, from SC, stating that they are experiencing a large volume of spam causing reporting delays. Shortly after I was informed that my SC account was disabled due to exceeding the spam limit for 7-7-2012. The number of spam I reported for 7-7-2012 was seven, I believe there is a daily limit of 3000. While there seems to be no end to SpamCops' problems, don't complain to them.

...See Dee Bee's reply in this topic and various posts by Don D'Minion (SpamCopAdmin).

I can see new-ish posts to this thread if I use the "lo-fi" version ... but I can't respond to/quote posts: all I can do currently is reply to the OP. ...
That much, at least, is nothing to do with the present problems. forum.spamcop.net is on a totally different server and network to spamcop.net. There should be no differences between standard and lo-fi versions of these pages by the way - the tempo of posting might make it seem that way, I suppose. Anyway, if others are having the same problem we can split this discussion out and start a new topic.

Is spamcop broken for good ?

<snip

...Not for good (we all hope)!
The lack of any communication from the tech guys and leaving it up to forum admin to answer is pointless.
...Not to me -- it tells me the answer to your first question! :) <g> Also, Don D'Minion (SpamCopAdmin) is not the Forum Admin, he is a SpamCop Admin (SpamCop does not administer this Forum, it is sponsored by CES, who also supply the "SpamCop e-mail" service, and the admins are volunteers).
It also shows that spamcop doesn't care anymore because this issue has been going on for weeks with no official answer and the servers not responding.
...I strongly disagree! If SpamCop didn't care, Don would not be posting here because that would be a complete waste of time for both him and us. His answers are the official SpamCop answers!
So do we report here or not anymore ? Cause I'm wasting my time trying to report spam and the gateway broken.
...FWIW, my suggestion would be to wait until there is an extended period of time, a day or so, between a post from Don or other SpamCop colleague and there are no further reports of problems here.

I can see new-ish posts to this thread if I use the "lo-fi" version
That is all fine but according to SpamCop, if you are using Outlook for your e-mail client then the headers of the mail are completely skewed by Microsoft.

<snip>

...Not at all related.

<snip>

so, can we expect that all support for spamcop will be dropped shortly or what?

i'm confused, and spamcop still isn't working, and i just paid again. right when it stopped working. perfect.

:angry: :(<_<

...No, there is no indication of which I'm aware that support for SpamCop is being dropped.

...Are you able to explain why you are confused? The service simply isn't working right now and we just have to wait until the engineers find the root cause of the problem and fix it.

...Not for good (we all hope)!...Not to me -- it tells me the answer to your first question! :) <g> Also, Don D'Minion (SpamCopAdmin) is not the Forum Admin, he is a SpamCop Admin (SpamCop does not administer this Forum, it is sponsored by CES, who also supply the "SpamCop e-mail" service, and the admins are volunteers)....I strongly disagree! If SpamCop didn't care, Don would not be posting here because that would be a complete waste of time for both him and us. His answers are the official SpamCop answers!...FWIW, my suggestion would be to wait until there is an extended period of time, a day or so, between a post from Don or other SpamCop colleague and there are no further reports of problems here.

That is all fine but according to SpamCop, if you are using Outlook for your e-mail client then the headers of the mail are completely skewed by Microsoft.

<snip>...Not at all related.

...No, there is no indication of which I'm aware that support for SpamCop is being dropped.

...Are you able to explain why you are confused? The service simply isn't working right now and we just have to wait until the engineers find the root cause of the problem and fix it.

This all happened when I droped DSL and went to cable!............trying to make you folks laugh!

This all happened when I droped DSL and went to cable!............trying to make you folks laugh!

It's fully understandable no info from the engineers is posted on this forum. Spammers might read it too, and some especially now if they caused the havoc.

Let them have a short laugh...

"Whoever laughs last laughs best." :P

~Dutch saying.

If this would be caused by spammers/crackers it would be a very honorable recognition for SC:

"SpamCop -damn it- you are so effective thwarting us spammers that we decided we had at least give it a to us costly time consuming and hard work try to do something about it!"

:ph34r: This Wikipedia comment is almost prophetic of what is happening now, I have witnessed a couple of other demises of spam fighting organizations, it seems like the spammers find a way to win, everytime:

It is also remarkable in its own right that SpamCop has survived for so many years, considering the severity of opposition other anti-spam companies have faced in the past, most notably osirusoft and Blue Security. SpamCop has dealt with attacks by spammers thus far by hiring services from Akamai, but is still the target of many hackers and could face serious difficulties like those faced by Blue Security if it continues to grow in size and effectiveness. The successful attack on Blue Security shows that significant offensive weapons can be wielded by the criminal syndicates behind spammers. SpamCop views itself as an attempt to stop spam without the necessity of governmental intervention, but because it lacks the power of a government or large ISP, it may have greater difficulty dealing with spammers' expertise as well as the large "bot" networks that they control and that they used to cripple Blue Security with a massive DDoS attack.

This will make us appreciate and enjoy SC so much more when it's fixed... :D

^^^ This.

I am a fan of the service because over the years I've known about it, I've recognised that a lot of thought and effort has gone into how best to analyse spam and how to respond.

As others have said, it might not be appropriate for some of the information about what's happening behind the scenes to be revealed. I'm pretty sure that my own guesses at what might be happening are, at best, just guesses.

Once started using new "Forward your spam to:" e-mail address, got spam processed timely. Reports have been sent promptly after clicking "Report Now" link. Consequently, I have cleared all backlog. Reports did get delay as much as 40 hours. Nevertheless, all spam were reported since delay began about a week ago.

Do you get a response from SpamCop for spam forwarded by e-mail? If not, watch for new "Forward your spam to:" e-mail address.

I don't usually forward spam by email, because it's mostly received through Gmail and/or Outlook.

I receive about 6 -10 spams per day, and I have always reported them manually.

I'll try it, but, as you may already know, it's not easy to forward spams as attachments, especially from Gmail, and Outlook is not very helpful in that regard, either.

For now the service is completly dead at least as far as reporting goes... we have to keep our fingers crossed, whatever countermeasures have been tried they are not working! Maybe it's time to fire the big guns?

It seems obvious Spamcop does not have sufficient resources to deal with a situation of this severity and magnitude. It is time to call on the rest of Cisco to supply enough resources to correct this situation immediately. If Cisco is not supplying more resources or Spamcop is not asking for more resources, we should write short letters and fax it to the Cisco corporate office. Cisco should not allow this to continue any longer.

now the form page, say: Sorry, your account has been disabled.

I got this sending 3 spams today with web form.

Not bad, as a 7 years reporters as minimum, for sure I'm one of the bad guy that just registered and flood the servers. Thank you SC

OK, I have just sent a batch of spams to my reporting address.

Because I also report to KnujOn, I copy-and-paste the full source of each spam into a

separate plain text file for each message.

Never having done this before, I have no idea what will happen next.

When I get some kind of response, I'll let you all know the result.

BTW, now, when I login to SpamCop, I just get to a blank page with a message saying:

"An error occurred while processing this directive."

In the meantime, we're making progress. Reporting should be back to slow-normal.

Let me know if you're still seeing timeouts.

Problem is ongoing for me, as of July 9, 2:50pm PDT... same gateway timeout messages as others have reported. This is from different machines (all on same subnet), using different browsers, etc... if that matters to you.

Keep us posted. Thanks!

Archived