Reporting problems today?

mrmaxx

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you getting suspension notices....

That's caused by SpamCop going berserk. Not your fault.

We'll get you back in operation soon.

Spammers are using our own service against us by signing up for accounts and then flooding them with mail in hopes of bringing down the system from overload.

The 50,000 spams per day limit is our defense against that.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Thanks for the info. Had a feeling someone had taken over Spamcop and trying to shut it down. I'll keep sending spam to spam[at]uce.gov to help get those spammers shut down.

I had imagined that spamcop reporting could be only a minor nuisance to spammers, and other pondlife spraying out malware. Surely the honeypots are much more important? And even then, I thought, the scbl, must be pretty insignificant in the general scale of things? It's encouraging to have some evidence I might have been too pessimistic.

If only some of the resources spent by governments and industries on hunting down morons downloading crap movies or telling each other feeble jokes about blowing up airports could be spent on exterminating some of the real dangerous pestilence rife on the internet.

Not speaking for anyone else, but maybe the reporting service should simply be withdrawn, at least until some solid way is figured out of countering whatever abuse is going on. It could be interesting for many people to know what the effect of that would be.

Hank

...The problems with SpamCop reporting and the Twitter account, which is for the CES e-mail service (completely separate products, completely separate support staffs, completely separate companies -- see http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/SpamCopReporting and http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/SpamCopCorporateEmailService) have no relation to each other.

If that's the case, then why the hell is it advertised on the SpamCopReporting page?

There seems to be a steady periodicity to the spam stats, with a period of about 3 hours, or (if you prefer) a frequency of 8 cycles per day.

I wonder what it means.

In the 24 hours starting Mon Jul 9 06:04:56 2012, you have submitted over spams for processing, which exceeds our daily submission limit. No more submissions will be accepted. Your reporting account is disabled. Please reply if you are reporting spam in good faith and feel your account should be reinstated.

I sent two this morning

Duck it, sory Google it, neat stuff though!

now the form page, say: Sorry, your account has been disabled.

I got this sending 3 spams today with web form.

Not bad, as a 7 years reporters as minimum, for sure I'm one of the bad guy that just registered and flood the servers. Thank you SC

Hi, efa,

...Please see the first two lines of one of Don D'Minion's earlier notes 81487[/snapback].

...The problems with SpamCop reporting and the Twitter account, which is for the CES e-mail service (completely separate products, completely separate support staffs, completely separate companies -- see http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/SpamCopReporting and http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/SpamCopCorporateEmailService) have no relation to each other.
If that's the case, then why the hell is it advertised on the SpamCopReporting page?
...Sorry, my earlier note was a bit misleading. It isn't quite that they have no relation to each other, it's that they are "completely separate support staffs, completely separate companies," although they do work together in some respects. Specifically, the e-mail service "seamlessly" uses the reporting service to submit spam reports so e-mail subscribers do not have to navigate into the reporting service separately.

In the 24 hours starting Mon Jul 9 06:04:56 2012, you have submitted over spams for processing, which exceeds our daily submission limit. No more submissions will be accepted. Your reporting account is disabled. Please reply if you are reporting spam in good faith and feel your account should be reinstated.

I sent two this morning

Duck it, sory Google it, neat stuff though!

SpamCop needs to make signing-up for accounts more secure. Apparently a "spammer" is signing up for thousands of free reporting accounts. The solution seems to penalize everyone by capping total amount of reporting to 50,000 spams per day.

The fix is perhaps the Gmail used to start with and that's a password sent to a mobile via SMS for first account?

Finally got the response back from the submissions I sent via email.

Logged in, got to the reporting page this time, but "Report Now" link is still timing out.

[at]hok: FYI: I checked the reporting address and it is unchanged.

<snip>

[at]hok: FYI: I checked the reporting address and it is unchanged.

...Let's make this totally explicit: Don D'Minion's post 81634[/snapback] is authoritative; there is no need to pursue the question about changes in reporting addresses further.

Still getting the Gateway Timeout's, I've currently got 12+ spams that I'm trying to submit, and 6 more that I haven't even tried to submit.

I'm also getting new errors: "Headers Not Loaded" (or something like that), and partially loaded reporting pages.

Here is a link to a PNG of a partially loaded page:

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?9uk9c13cff7xd1r

If you reload the page enough, the headers error is eventually replaced by the Gateway Timeout.

Here is my current list of timeouts:

Reference #1.8c70e93f.1341877801.90ba646

Reference #1.8c70e93f.1341877798.90ba182

Reference #1.8c70e93f.1341877781.90b92b7

Reference #1.8c70e93f.1341877615.90aee77

Reference #1.8c70e93f.1341877612.90aeb6e

Reference #1.8c70e93f.1341878088.90ca981

Reference #1.8c70e93f.1341877604.90ae189

Reference #1.8c70e93f.1341877601.90adcfd

Reference #1.8c70e93f.1341877597.90ad86d

Reference #1.8c70e93f.1341877576.90abfb6

Still getting the Gateway Timeout's, I've currently got 12+ spams that I'm trying to submit, and 6 more that I haven't even tried to submit.

I'm also getting new errors: "Headers Not Loaded" (or something like that), and partially loaded reporting pages.

Here is a link to a PNG of a partially loaded page:

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?9uk9c13cff7xd1r

If you reload the page enough, the headers error is eventually replaced by the Gateway Timeout.

I've been getting those too, a lot, today.

While most look at this attack as an inconvenience, overlooked is the fact that SpamCop must be very effective in doing their job. Granted the entertainment factor provided by some makes for some rather interesting light reading, what most have overlooked is the amount of work that has obviously gone into planning this attack as well as the time required to address it. These digital battles while not cheap to fight are not fought by throwing the entire company bank roll or the bulk of their resources at the issue; they are fought and won with persistence and patience. To the admins, the feeling of futility comparable to trying to ward off a cockroach infestation with a single shoe while listening to the mice in the walls chew on the wiring is a common experience.

Don, kudos to you and the rest of the SpamCop staff keep up the good work and don’t run yourselves too ragged while burning the midnight oil to eradicate this infestation of internet vermin.

Reports were sent promptly after clicking Report Now link. In contrast, forwarded spam via e-mail did not get response for processing for at least 20 minutes.

Trying to report spam that has been held, but it's just sitting there spinning when I click on "Unreported spam saved: report now". Not sure if it's SpamCop or corporate firewall trying to block me from reporting spam on company time. :unsure:

This is typical of what I have been getting for a week now:

"Gateway Timeout

The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.

Reference #1.ea2f5cc.1341891826.959bb77"

It looks like it easier for Spamcop to blame the users than fix the problem. :(

<snip>

It looks like it easier for Spamcop to blame the users than fix the problem. :(

...Hm, I haven't seen that! Can you point out where that has happened? All I've seen from SpamCop staff is apologies and assurances they're working as hard as they can to fix the problem! See, for example, this list of posts by Don D'Minion (SpamCop Admin).

Not making much progress

Gateway Timeout

Reference #1.1e2ee402.1341895375.179517d1

They sure are persistant, I am just surprized the flooding doesn't show in the statistics except for transient peaks...can anyone explain that? Sorry it's the scientist in me!

See; http://mac-security.blogspot.com/

I had imagined that spamcop reporting could be only a minor nuisance to spammers, and other pondlife spraying out malware. Surely the honeypots are much more important? And even then, I thought, the scbl, must be pretty insignificant in the general scale of things? It's encouraging to have some evidence I might have been too pessimistic.

If only some of the resources spent by governments and industries on hunting down morons downloading crap movies or telling each other feeble jokes about blowing up airports could be spent on exterminating some of the real dangerous pestilence rife on the internet.

Not speaking for anyone else, but maybe the reporting service should simply be withdrawn, at least until some solid way is figured out of countering whatever abuse is going on. It could be interesting for many people to know what the effect of that would be.

Hank

If that's the case, then why the hell is it advertised on the SpamCopReporting page?...Sorry, my earlier note was a bit misleading. It isn't quite that they have no relation to each other, it's that they are "completely separate support staffs, completely separate companies," although they do work together in some respects. Specifically, the e-mail service "seamlessly" uses the reporting service to submit spam reports so e-mail subscribers do not have to navigate into the reporting service separately.

As I said, Why the hell is it advertised on the reporting page?.. If the corporate users don't go to the reporting page, and the twitter account is for the corporate product, then why is the twitter account advertised on the reporting page? It's kind of like advertising a hip-hop nightclub in LA on a classical radio station in Chicago..

Have completely given up using the normal submission form. Now trying to submit my spam via e-mail to submit.gq1iM51CAQT5IxqY[at]spam.spamcop.net but get the following messages

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

Not making much progress

Gateway Timeout

Reference #1.1e2ee402.1341895375.179517d1

They sure are persistant, I am just surprized the flooding doesn't show in the statistics except for transient peaks...can anyone explain that? Sorry it's the scientist in me!

Have completely given up using the normal submission form. Now trying to submit my spam via e-mail to submit.gq1iM51CAQT5IxqY[at]spam.spamcop.net but get the following messages

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

I expect that's an error on how the email you sent to SpamCop was formatted. You may need to forward as an attachment or check to see if something may be inserted between header and body in the forwarded message - or even how the spam message may be encapsulated in the email you are sending... I'm sure there's help somewhere in the forums on this topic (but I haven't actually looked)...

Archived