Reporting problems today?

mrmaxx

<snip>

I am surprised admin has not to date posted a meaningful reason for the problems affecting users.

...Apparently more information than has been posted has been deemed not appropriate. Not speaking for the SpamCop staff but one possible reason could be that if the cause of the problem were generally known it could invite future attacks.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know whether that text wasn't there before, or it was there but I glossed right over it because (a) it's content-free, as opposed to all the other blurbs in the paragraph which actually have some content in them and (B) the charming phpBB style sheet makes links look like section headers.
...It was there ... the reason you suggest that you might have missed it is certainly feasible.
And it doesn't help that there are blurbs in that announcement dated December 2011, November 2011, and even earlier. Why are those still there? If they would edit the announcement to only have current information in it, it'd be a lot easier to find the important stuff.
...It would make it easier to find the stuff that was left there but it would make it harder to find important stuff that had been removed. Who can say what is most important to any individual user?
For that matter, it's asinine that they're using a phpBB thread as their status board. They should have a readl status page without absurd amounts of clutter which make it difficult to quickly find the important information.
...Well, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it! The bulletin board software was chosen by the owner of the bulletin board and rarely, if ever, checks in with us. The volunteer who was deputized to keep it up-to-date and otherwise do care and feeding has not been around for good personal reasons and, if I understand correctly, the account he used to review updates has lapsed so even if the bulletin board software has been enhanced to work along the lines you suggest, we would not know and could not update it.
<snip>

I don't gain anything from reporting spam.

<snip>

As such, I am reporting spam through SpamCop not for my own benefit, but rather to benefit the community.

...That is true of almost all, if not all, of us users and I did not intend to imply otherwise in my reply to you. I (and I'm sure others) appreciate your contributions. I'm just saying that those contributions will be just as useful after the SpamCop parser is fixed, both to you and to the rest of the internet community.
...I'm under the impression that it also financially benefits IronPort, since I believe that they use the data they get from spam reporting to help them construct blocklists they sell as a commercial service.
...For what I understand, they offer it for free. They may offer other services that are complementary to the blacklist which are priced items, though, and it is also possible that they might derive some revenue directly from the blacklist if there are users who contribute voluntarily, as some reporting volunteers due by either purchasing "fuel" or buying the $30 per year combined e-mail and reporting product.
Given that there's very little benefit to me from reporting the spam through SpamCop, if it keeps being a pain in the ass to do because they can't keep their system up and running reliably, not to mention because more and more spam is going to be coming from IPv6 addresses that SpamCop can't handle, I'm just going to stop reporting.
...That's still your call. Thank you for what you've done so far! And I hope you'll consider resuming after the SpamCop parser is returned to reliable service but will understand if you choose to not do that.

<snip>

It would be nice if spamcop could back off the 48 hour limit (72 hours would probably be appropriate) until this is fixed, otherwise you're just wasting even more of peoples time than this problem already has.

<snip>

...But the reasons for the 48 hour limit still apply!

Cesmail ip 216.154.195.49 is blacklisted by ips.backscatterer.org

This looks like a red herring to me. Assuming that the recipient's email provider is using the backscatter list appropriately, a listing can indicate that an outgoing server is not configured properly. See http://www.backscatterer.org/?ip=216.154.195.49 for more info.

[edit] Discussion in the above topic moved to http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12532

...Apparently more information than has been posted has been deemed not appropriate. Not speaking for the SpamCop staff but one possible reason could be that if the cause of the problem were generally known it could invite future attacks.

Exactly. I'm thankful for whatever feedback that we do receive, even if it's just reassurance that someone is working on the problem.

I'm now not even able to open the main spamcop.net page, it comes up blank.

As a work-around I've switched to quick reporting which may or may not be sending the reports out but at least isn't eating a lot of my time.

I don't envy the folks trying to sort out the issue(s) behind this but I do wish them luck in finding/fixing the problem.

It is odd that this is only certain times of the day where the issue arises. When the issue does happen, both the mail host section and the reporting section on the only place that I have been able to detect the issue.

It is odd that this is only certain times of the day where the issue arises. When the issue does happen, both the mail host section and the reporting section on the only place that I have been able to detect the issue.

Just seen a different error message,

"[an error occurred while processing this directive] "

- message presented if I try to get to the Spamcop reporting page.

And now I'm seeing,

"Sorry, your account has been disabled.

Sorry, your account has been disabled.

Please check your email for an explanation or contact SpamCop service."

Think I'll wait a while and try again tomorrow.

Just in case one more report somehow helps: I have been and am still seeing the same problems with www.spamcop.net others have reported for over a week, although my experience has been less "intermittent" and more like "almost always". The web server is always slow to respond (tens of seconds to over a minute), and then one of three things happens:

- A web page saying "An error occurred while processing your request."

- A web page saying "Gateway Timeout The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server."

- An almost normal-looking spam report review page, but with "SIGHUP - taking too long to process"

The last one happens only when submitting spam. The first two are more frequent now than they were a few days ago.

Here are some sample responses, in case it somehow helps:

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.9da41160.1341519082.21f19fc2 

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.246d1160.1341519123.4a10239 

Gateway Timeout
The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.

Reference #1.8733545a.1341519804.26cedbf 

&lt;H1&gt;Gateway Timeout&lt;/H1&gt;
The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.&lt;P&gt;
Reference #1.9e14eb3f.1341520231.d8f921f

By the way, what is the best way to see the latest assurances from the admins that this is still being worked on? It's hard to find the posts from the spamcop admins among all these user postings, and I find the "latest annoucements" not very current -- just a link to this thread there, which brings me back to the problem of finding the latest info from spamcop authorities...

<snp>

By the way, what is the best way to see the latest assurances from the admins that this is still being worked on? It's hard to find the posts from the spamcop admins among all these user postings, and I find the "latest annoucements" not very current -- just a link to this thread there, which brings me back to the problem of finding the latest info from spamcop authorities...

...The "trick" I used was to click the "Search" link (right beneath the graphic on the top right of nearly every SpamCop Forum page), then:
  • "Search by Keywords" = SpamCopAdmin
  • "Filter by Member Name" = SpamCopAdmin
  • "Search posts from" = Today or "7 days ago and..." whichever you prefer

More of this:

got sigalarm, taking too long to process, aborted.

Perhaps you can wait a few minutes and reload?

I've had one or two similar messages, and have found that reloading the page usually gets me to a point where I can actually submit the reports.

This is a test of everyone's patience, and I want to encourage everyone not to be too hasty to give up , whatever your role in this community.

I'm looking forward to the time when we can look back, thankful that this hiccup is over and grateful to the people who provide this service to us. Time for a fresh pot of coffee or other suitable beverage?

I am a long time user, looks like this time is taking longer to fix the issue than in the past, a week is a long time....I am not upset with Spamcop, but whoever is behind this (if there is one) is causing a lot of damage, both in reputation and perception of reliability!

I am a long time user, looks like this time is taking longer to fix the issue than in the past, a week is a long time....I am not upset with Spamcop, but whoever is behind this (if there is one) is causing a lot of damage, both in reputation and perception of reliability!

This is an issue. From the stats page, I noticed that is has dropped considerable. From my time on a university helpdesk, the hardest problems to diagnose were the intermittant ones. Since this works at the high usage times of the day and stops at other times, it is much more difficult to diagnose. If I knew how to help, I would start gathering information. This I know, the problem is the same between me and both IPv6 and IPv4 frontend servers. This looks like a backend server issue. I wonder if the frontend servers are trying IPv6 to the backend servers and failing?

Received 8 spams overnight, reporting the first 3 gave me the gateway timeout error, but I kept clicking the "Back" button, and copying and pasting more email sources, while ignoring the "unreported spam" link.

From about spam #4 onwards, it suddenly started working again, and I was then also able to process the "unreported spam."

So far, so good! :)

It's playing up again! :(

Also, further to my previous comment, has anyone noticed that the gateway timeouts are also occurring with other functions when the user is logged into SpamCop, e.g., clicking on the "Mailhosts" tab, or clicking on the "Help" link in the upper right-hand corner of the page?

So, in my experience, at least, the problem doesn't seem to be affecting reporting only.

I don't know if this is useful information, but there it is, for what it's worth. :unsure:

It's down for me and has been for nearly a week or more giving me the "Gateway Timeout

The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.

Reference #1.842d613a.1341546689.fce352e"

message.

At first I thought ok I'll fwd the spam and report that way instead of pasting it in the reporting box. I click the "Unreported spam Saved: Report Now" link and after about 2-5 mins. I get the "Gateway Timeout" message again.

I continue to report to spam[at]uce.gov, knujon[at]coldrain.net, even though now I live in Bangkok.

GL to the SC fixers!

:D

For what it's worth, I've started seeing these problems a couple days or so ago. Today is the worst, and I've not been able to process my spam report. Sometimes I will get a proxy error from the site, but that's it.

And now I'm seeing,

"Sorry, your account has been disabled.

Sorry, your account has been disabled.

Please check your email for an explanation or contact SpamCop service."

Think I'll wait a while and try again tomorrow.

It's tomorrow (here) and I'm still suspended :-(

Anyone else been kicked off?

It's tomorrow (here) and I'm still suspended :-(

Anyone else been kicked off?

Ah, didn't see that when first posted. Seems to me not to be (directly) related - best contact SC Admin (Don) - service[at]admin.spamcop.net. Did you receive the explanatory e-mail? (I guess not.) Bounces of messages sent to you from SC can be one cause.

People should be using the Spamhaus ZEN blocklist. It has virtually no false positives, and it blocks the vast majority of the spam I get -- I only report the stuff to SpamCop that gets through Spamhaus.

Thunderbird Bayesian filter keep out of your eyes 100% of spam with 0% false positive, putting them in the spam folder. Then as I want to damage the spammer, I started to report to the Registrar of the spamvertized web sites, and not only to the source of spam and host of spamvertized web sites as SC does, this zeroed the spam.

I don't if it is just related to the time of night (12:46 a.m., July 6) but I am back to normal. Reporting spam and am not getting any delays at all. Responses coming back in just seconds. Hope this is a good sign.

Well that lasted for about a half an hour! Back to getting errors.

Archived