Non-Profit getting a bad rap

CORVA

Hi, I handle the mass emails for our non-profit organization. We send out very few emails yet somehow got listed as a spammer with SPAMCOP. Your website SUCKS for those of us trying to get removed. One officer of the organization can not receive emails from the other board members.

Please provide me with an email address to contact.

Thanks, Jim

Hi, Jim,

...Sorry to hear of your problem. I'm afraid you missed a lot of useful information you might have found if you'd done some searching. Things are unusually slow for me at work right now, so I was able to look for and find some potentially useful information for you by looking in the SpamCop FAQ and one of the various search tools provided here:

...Good luck!

Hi, I handle the mass emails for our non-profit organization.

Thanks, Jim

Jim, I too do the website and "mass" emailing for a non-profit, two actually. Sounds to me you may be learning the perils of not maintaining a double-opt-in emailing list.

Maintaining a emailing list requires constant effort and review. I have to continualy resist efforts by other board members and well meaning supporters that want to "just add" names to the mailing list because "I know" they would be interested.

Suggest you clean up your emailing list. Someone must not want to hear from you.

Looking for "good" ways of managing your email list is a good start.

A listing in places such as spamcop isn't necessarily your fault: it can also happen when other users of the same email provider as you have some problems to address.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks All. Our organization only sends out about 3-4 mass emails a month, yet the same few people out of thousands come back to me blocked each time. All are companies and even one board member can't receive emails to his company email address.

I've filled out the files, I take great pride in removing people, we ONLY list people who have given us permission to do so, all emails have an opt-out link. Don't know what else to do... :blink:

Hi, Jim,

<snip>

I take great pride in removing people

...That sounds like a practice called listwashing (see SpamCop FAQ article labeled "E-Mail Address Removal, Unsubscription, & Listwashing" and/ or SpamCop Wiki article "ListWashing") which is seriously frowned upon among the anti-spam community.
we ONLY list people who have given us permission to do so, all emails have an opt-out link.
...There is the possibility that subscribers are reporting as spam content to which they have subscribed. If that is the case, please see the SpamCop FAQ articles labeled "On what type of email should I (not) use SpamCop?" (they are violating the "unsolicited" rule) and "What if I break the rule(s)?" and you should report these incidents, with evidence, to the SpamCop Deputies at e-mail address deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net. Smart web denizens will not unsubscribe to material to which they did not subscribe, so your including an "unsubscribe" link is likely to be ignored by the people being spammed, they may only (and rightly so) just report it.
Don't know what else to do... :blink:
...Please see SpamCop FAQ article labeled "Am I running mailing lists responsibly? Updated!"

...Note: there are links to the SpamCop FAQ near the top left of each SpamCop Forum page, one at the very top, labeled "SPAMCOP FAQ" and another beneath the large white "spamcop.net" label, labeled "SpamCop FAQ."

One thing is see missing here is your email server. Are you using your own email server or one belonging to someone else like your ISP

Also if you are using your own email server, who else has access to it? If it is not properly protected you may find some spammer using it which then creates problems for you when your server gets blocked.

all emails have an opt-out link
Though it is a very good idea to include an opt-out link, you should remember that it is generally recommended to NEVER use an "opt-out link" to try to get off a spam email list. The only people that are likely to use the opt-out link are your friends who know who you are but would rather not receive email from you.

The following may or may not apply to your situation but should be considered anyway

•Bulk email can be split into two categories: Opt-in and Opt-out. Opt-in is email that an individual requested or agreed to receive. Many legitimate mailers use opt-in methods for marketing. Individuals are responsible for reading and understanding a company's privacy policies and acceptable use policies (if applicable) before submitting an email address. If a privacy or acceptable use policy clearly states that signing up for the service results in receiving marketing or commercial email, then the individual has "opted-in" to receive email and that email is not spam. Individuals also implicitly opt-in for email regarding a purchase or transaction; for example, when buying an airline ticket via the web, the purchaser receives an emailed purchase confirmation, which is not spam. With opt-out email, the sender adds an email address to a mailing list without prior consent, then asks the recipient to request removal (or "opt-out") if he does not want to continue to receive email. Opt-out email is unsolicited and is by definition spam.

Archived