Problem with filters : Participants, Destination, Source do not work

Hello,

I have a little problem with my filter rules :

As I have many mail addresses forwarded to Spamcop - for personal, professional mails, lists, bug reports... - I created lots of folder and filters to order them automatically.

And I like some global rules : for example, all mail adressed to, in Cc, in Bcc, or from a specific domain (example.com) should be redirected to folder Example.

So all my mails from me[at]example.com or those I receive from others[at]exmple.com must be forwarded to the Example folder.

For that I use in the filter rules the line Participants (from, to, etc). But there is a problem :

Participant (from, to, etc) does not work, nor Destination or Source options. Mails matching the rule keep in Inbox and are not filtered. :(

If I only put "To" or "Cc" or "From" it works, filter is applied ; but it makes me 4 times more to create a filter : I have to add a line for each one instead of just 1 : To, Cc, Bcc, From, or Reply-to

Is it normal, is there a bug, something to do to correct that behavior ?

Also, I use Spamcop webmail but more often Spamcop account with Thunderbird in imap. Works perfectly.

Just, is it possible to import directly Thunderbird filters to Spamcop ? As I modify them before in Thunderbird (and here the "From, To, Cc, Bcc or Reply-to works great), instead of having to modify TB filters, then Spamcop ones on the site again ?

If I only have Thunderbird filters up to date, when I log to Spamcop webmail, of course all mails are not filtered.

Thanks for your help.

Xavier

Hi Xavier,

Unfortunately, no mail user has yet responded but hopefully "bumping" the topic might catch someone's attention. Alternatively you could put the question to e-mail support via http://mail.spamcop.net/contact.php OR e-mail support[at]cesmail.net (not both). You should get an auto-response with a ticket number either way.

I don't think this qualifies as a "problem" as such, else you could submit a problem report after logging in via - http://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/services/problem.php

OK, I received a very short and disappointing answer from Spamcop support, he did not seem to understand my question :

I don't believe the filters work in the compound way you show in your sample where the target/search fields all contain different inputs. The filter logic/code is pretty simple and your example has too many variables/choices.

You cannot import your Thunderbird local filters.

I had put this image as example

This filter "Lg Libres" works well like that, just I'd like to have only 1 row with "Participant" for each citeria, but in this case it does not filter any mail matching the rule, mail stays in Inbox...

My screenshot was to show that I had to put 1 line for "To" and 1 for "Cc" in order to make filter OK. The fact there are many fields with different targets is not the problem, I checked "Any of the following" not "All".

So I do not understand : for what is the rule Participant in this case ??

My need : if a mail comes from yyy[at]example.com, or is addressed To xxx[at]example.com, or Cc xxx[at]example.com, or Bcc xxx[at]example.com, or Reply-to zzz[at]example.com then it has to be redirected to folder "Example".

In my mind (and it works like that on Thunderbird), it's only the rule :

If Participant contains example.com then redirect to Example folder

But it does not work, to achieve this I have to put 5 lines (!) :

If From contains example.com then redirect to Example folder

If To contains example.com then redirect to Example folder

If Cc contains example.com then redirect to Example folder

If Bcc contains example.com then redirect to Example folder

If Reply-to contains example.com then redirect to Example folder

So what are Participant, Destination and Source rules ? Or there is a bug...

[edit] IMG tag changed to link.

OK - we need a mail user to help out now. Anyone?

AFAIK

Very rarely use WebMail interface.

But filtering requires WebMail cookies to be set and saved for browser.

These filters only work for WebMail interface they do not apply for email clients

Blacklist, Whitelist, spamassasin, etc, excepted (they work for email client)

Yes, my problem is with the webmail.

I use Spamcop and redirect / download mails from about 20 different addresses to it, both professional, personal, for Internet activities (shopping, forums...).

spam filtering (with whitelist / blacklist / Spamassassin) work perfectly both for webmail and Thunderbird, that's right. Address book, I can import TB one to Spamcop, so no problem.

I use Thunderbird with Imap on 2 computers (home PC and work laptop) + K9 mail on my smartphone. So all computers are always synchronized to Spamcop imap and update.

I configured lots of filters in Thunderbird, with many folders, sub-folders, many identities (ie my different mails) on the same account, it's very good.

So when I use Thunderbird, all my mails are well filtered and put in the right folders, and so there are automatically also filtered in Spamcop : if I go to the webmail, I've the same.

But my problem is when I do not have access to one of my computers and have to connect to the webmail on another one : here all the new mails (I receive lots per day, with the mailing lists...) go to Inbox and it's hard to read, sometimes an important one is missed.

I understood I could not import my Thunderbird filters directly to Spamcop, so I decided to re-create them manually.

And here is my problem : the Participant, Destination, Source rules seem to not work, and I have to create for EACH target up to 5 rules (instead 1) to get the right result.

So my question : is there a bug in Spamcop filtering with Participant, Destination, Source, or is there something I do not understand / configure correctly ?

Yes, my problem is with the webmail.

So my question : is there a bug in Spamcop filtering with Participant, Destination, Source, or is there something I do not understand / configure correctly ?

Just googling about imp Webmail

"cookies must be enabled on your browser in order to identify you as a WebMail user on our system. If your browser is not set to allow cookies, consult the help section of your browser to find out how to set your browser to accept cookies."

Guessing here

Just set your browser to accept cookies should fix problem

and or use a client like freeware CCleaner by Piriform

under options/cookies you can save the ones you want and delete the rest

I accept cookies...

Some of the filter rules work very well, even with "or" option and many target fields :

To / Subject / From / Cc / Bcc / Reply-to : there are OK, message is well filtered in spamcop webmail.

But : Participant / Destination / Source : even if the received message matches the rule, it is not filtered.

I do not know how to be more explicit : it's not the "filter" function which does not work for me in Spamcop webmail, only these 3 specific rules.

I accept cookies...

Some of the filter rules work very well, even with "or" option and many target fields :

To / Subject / From / Cc / Bcc / Reply-to : there are OK, message is well filtered in spamcop webmail.

But : Participant / Destination / Source : even if the received message matches the rule, it is not filtered.

I do not know how to be more explicit : it's not the "filter" function which does not work for me in Spamcop webmail, only these 3 specific rules.

As I have said I don't use webmail. It seems to me there is then a limit you can do with filters in Webmail

It's a shame that support didn't take the time to look at the OP's problem, or even Google whether others were having the problem. It was fixed 6/26/12:

Filtering fails with some fields

'Using the following fields in the definition of a filter the result of the evaluation is always "true", and therefore the filter action affects all messages in inbox: Destination (To,Cc,Bcc,etc.) - Source (From,Reply-to,etc.) - Participant (From,To,etc.)

Same problem OP described.

I use filters in webmail but certain things I couldn't get to work or not reliably.

I certainly never got Regex to work

Look at all posts by me.

I gave up once I has a workaround (2007 or so)

The webmail system is Horde so a google for other users seeing this priblem on other systems or on the base Horde site may be useful.

From the Help

There are a few different types of comparisons that can be performed. The comparisons available for any given field will depend on both the type of the field and what the underlying filtering software can handle. Thus, all potential matching options listed below may not appear for a given field.

==

Hello,

Could it be in relation with this (post from 2008 !) :

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9697

http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/7247

or Horde bug :

http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/11197

This last one seems to be corrected now. So it was not a specific Spamcop bug but Horde's one, so perhaps we have to wait that Cesmail upgrades Horde version ?

Edit : patch has been applied in Horde git, but the last stable version is one month earlier, so I guess we have to wait a little before having the correction :

http://www.horde.org/download/horde

Thanks for your help !

Archived