[Resolved] report to be sent to" nobody[at]example.com?

Stan_qaz

Just saw this on a spam report:

Report spam to:

Re: 24.225.0.28 (Administrator of network where email originates)

To: nobody[at]example.com (Notes)

I don't think I've ever seen that before, I know it is going nowhere but I reported it anyway so it would be in the spamcop system if anyone can explain why spamcop picked that address.

Tracking URL: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5374871637zc...2dc7503c0afa60z

The [at] in the To: above got replaced by an [at] if that happens to this edit it will make it confusing too.

Seems like an error in the SpamCop database. Will send an email to Don and see if he can fix the problem.

Just saw this on a spam report:

I don't think I've ever seen that before, I know it is going nowhere but I reported it anyway so it would be in the spamcop system if anyone can explain why spamcop picked that address.

Tracking URL: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5374871637zc...2dc7503c0afa60z

The [at] in the To: above got replaced by an [at] if that happens to this edit it will make it confusing too.

<snip>

...Only when the context appears to be an e-mail address. I believe that the purpose of the replacement is to avoid posting machine-readable e-mail addresses to keep them from being harvested by spiders compiling a list for spammers. See SpamCop Forum topic "Spiders are allowed to harvest here!"

There were actually 2 separate issues raised here.

Steve answered the 1st which was the [at] being replaced with at. - This is simply a function of this forum's setup

The second issue was the report address itself.

Reports regarding this spam have already been sent:

Reportid: 5814889571 To: nobody[at]example.com

If reported today, reports would be sent to:

nobody[at]example.com

I have sent an email to Don to look into this issue. As stated, this is without question not the address of "Administrator of network where email originates"

sc chose that address because that is the abuse address actually entered in the whois system.

I believe the place to start would be abuse[at]ruraltel.net but I would not be surprised if that bounced.

...I believe the place to start would be abuse[at]ruraltel.net but I would not be surprised if that bounced.
That's one of the the abuse net addresses, also the OrgAbuseEmail address for OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE595-ARIN (24.225.0.0/19) but not for OrgAbuseHandle: CKN23-ARIN (24.225.0.0/24) which is where nobody[at]example.com comes in. A SMTP session shows abuse[at]ruraltel.net as valid and deliverable, random to that domain is not (therefore no catchall) - of course they might just bin anything sent to the abuse address but maybe it's just an IQ test for robots - darn, SC failed :D .

Others given in abuse.net are

abuse[at]nex-tech.com (for ruraltel.net)

abuse[at]ruraltel.com (for ruraltel.net)

postmaster[at]nex-tech.com (for ruraltel.net)

postmaster[at]ruraltel.com (for ruraltel.net)

webmaster[at]nex-tech.com (for ruraltel.net)

Archived