I have Hughesnet e-mail; having issues receiving RR

peg645

Been working on this problem for over 2 weeks. I have Hughesnet, and starting around July 31, some Roadrunner e-mails being sent to me by others, either stopped arriving in my e-mail, or have been significantly delayed. This problem so far has involved 3 different RR subscribers, at 3 different RR locations.

I have no problems sending out e-mails, nor, as far as I know of, no problems receiving e-mails from other senders.

Hughesnet is pointing the finger at RR, saying, according to their network engineers supporting their e-mail client servers, there is no block from any source coming into my Hughesnet account.

I have had friends send e-mails to both my Hughesnet, with a cc: to my Yahoo account, with no issues at the Yahoo account.

Am just about to add 2 business e-mails to my Hughesnet account, so am worried about where the actual problem lies. Is it Roadrunner, or is Hughesnet to blame?

Thanks!

Here is a sample of an error message received by one of the senders, who then forwarded it on to me. (from 7/31/12)

This message was created automatically by the mail system (ecelerity).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

>>> pegsmith[at]hughes.net (reading BANNER): 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable;

Client host [75.180.132.120] blocked using urbl.hostedemail.com;

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...=75.180.132.120

Here is the path from an e-mail that took over 29 hours to receive today.

Return-Path: afenley[at]maine.rr.com

Delivered-To: pegsmith[at]hughes.net

X-FDA: 66557346240.02

X-Panda: scanned!

X-Filterd-Recvd-Size: 14586

Received: from hrndva-omtalb.mail.rr.com (hrndva-omtalb.mail.rr.com [71.74.56.122])

by imf24.b.hostedemail.com (Postfix) with ESMTP

for <pegsmith[at]hughes.net>; Fri, 17 Aug 2012 17:10:39 +0000 (UTC)

Received: from hrndva-omtalb.mail.rr.com ([10.128.143.53])

by hrndva-qmta04.mail.rr.com with ESMTP

id <20120816114812863.MXSF2500[at]hrndva-qmta04.mail.rr.com>

for <pegsmith[at]hughes.net>; Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:48:12 +0000

Return-Path: <afenley[at]maine.rr.com>

X-Authority-Analysis: v=2.0 cv=Vb91zSV9 c=1 sm=0 a=Bd6Z9XtBOOvQADCurhDeYw==:17 a=WeKgczCOT60A:10 a=05ChyHeVI94A:10 a=ayC55rCoAAAA:8 a=AE_V1A3TBpkA:10 a=pOfvU1qiAAAA:8 a=9GQRiBoYbOrSh0LwXLkA:9 a=CjuIK1q_8ugA:10 a=T7dl6hF01GMA:10 a=UrpzUYwrm95iUcB8:21 a=r7s5NVWlclCZD9GB:21 a=SSmOFEACAAAA:8 a=yMhMjlubAAAA:8 a=LxQR_2e0RNtbAMykFQoA:9 a=gKO2Hq4RSVkA:10 a=UiCQ7L4-1S4A:10 a=hTZeC7Yk6K0A:10 a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10 a=R7T3_vBXVzm5fvum:21 a=_mzf93y3bcAaaHMH:21 a=Bd6Z9XtBOOvQADCurhDeYw==:117

X-Cloudmark-Score: 0

X-Originating-IP: 184.153.153.22

Received: from [184.153.153.22] ([184.153.153.22:2765] helo=D5821JH1)

by hrndva-oedge03.mail.rr.com (envelope-from <afenley[at]maine.rr.com>)

(ecelerity 2.2.3.46 r()) with ESMTP

id 5D/BC-17584-1BDDC205; Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:46:57 +0000

To: "'Peggy Smith'" <pegsmith[at]hughes.net>

References: <017701cd7b57$03cc8a40$0b659ec0$[at]hughes.net>

Subject: RE: your gift card

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:46:49 -0400

Message-ID: <40E6087845AF43E3AAEF3B704FBB0A6B[at]D5821JH1>

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="----=_NextPart_000_008A_01CD7B83.4B25C0B0"

X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook 11

In-Reply-To: <017701cd7b57$03cc8a40$0b659ec0$[at]hughes.net>

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.6157

X-Antivirus: avast!

X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

Thread-Index: Ac17VZzIqqNBwIoMTnKTCnL6O2ZfUAATkYAA

X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 120815-3, 08/15/2012), Outbound message

X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 120714-2, 07/14/2012), Inbound message

Hi, Peg,

...From what you show here, I would pin "blame" on:

• RoadRunner for having many of their outgoing servers on the SpamCop, and other, blacklists (http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queri...=75.180.132.120), which indicates that they are not able to control subscribers who are spamming or who have become components of a botnet.
  • if you do not wish them to do so and they did not tell you they were doing so, Hughes.net for blocking rather than delivering mail from servers on the SpamCop blacklist (perhaps with a warning, or to a folder other than your "normal" Inbox) and, possibly, for not keeping their copy of the SpamCop blacklist up-to-date (it changes frequently) -- the IP address they indicate, 75.180.465.120 is not currently on the list, although it may have been when they blocked the e-mail. See the third paragraph of SpamCop FAQ article "How do I configure my mailserver to reject mail based on the blocklist?" ("We recommend....") and the Disclaimers in SpamCop FAQ article "What is the SpamCop Blocking List (SCBL)?"

There have been member reports against 75.180.465.120 almost every day for quite some time (as far into the 90-day history as I've bothered to look) - evidently not enough to tip them into the BL most days. Regardless, RR's abuse[at] address has been receiving those reports all along.

The last 24 hours (looks like multiple hits on one reporter - never going to cause listing by itself):

Submitted: Saturday, 18 August 2012 11:18:59 AM +0800:

All the Top Designer Watches/Jewelry on Sale!

(redacted reports to other parties)

5829614513 ( 75.180.132.120 ) To: abuse[at]rr.com

Submitted: Saturday, 18 August 2012 11:18:27 AM +0800:

All the Top Designer Watches/Jewelry on Sale!

(redacted reports to other parties)

5829614472 ( 75.180.132.120 ) To: abuse[at]rr.com

Seems many other of their outgoing servers are similarly being abused by spammers. If it was just one or two in any given regional pool, users would barely notice. My advice would be to complain to RR (above is timely evidence of continuing problems) - and retry sending. Well, it is more the advice you could give the senders) Most times it should work on the second (or subsequent) attempt unless they're having a REALLY bad day with multiple servers listed.

As Steve T says, Hughes aren't using the BL the way it is recommended and you can make that point to them - not sure they'll take notice though - their high ground being that it is up to RR to control their network. Easier said than done with the sheer volume of messaging through RR but not Huges' problem.

<snip>

As Steve T says, Hughes aren't using the BL the way it is recommended and you can make that point to them - not sure they'll take notice though - their high ground being that it is up to RR to control their network. Easier said than done with the sheer volume of messaging through RR but not Huges' problem.

...On the other hand, Hughes, as is true of any business, owes it to their clients to provide the service expected by those clients or risks losing them (and the revenue they receive from those clients). True, one client complaint is not likely to get their attention but it could also be that Peg's complaint turns out to be the tenth (or whatever number) that tips the scales and causes them to use the SCBL differently.

Been working on this problem for over 2 weeks. I have Hughesnet, and starting around July 31, some Roadrunner e-mails being sent to me by others, either stopped arriving in my e-mail, or have been significantly delayed. This problem so far has involved 3 different RR subscribers, at 3 different RR locations.

I have no problems sending out e-mails, nor, as far as I know of, no problems receiving e-mails from other senders.

Looks like 75.180.132.120 will be on the SCBL again shortly

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50667687/spam75180132120.png

probably and infected now spambot server

Seems it is now offline

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?ac...a75.180.132.120

..., Hughes, as is true of any business, owes it to their clients to provide the service expected by those clients or risks losing them (and the revenue they receive from those clients).

In general what you say is true. Unfortunately, although Peg did not expand on her situation, many of Hughes' customers are in situations with limited internet options. NO one chooses satellite internet, from Hughes or anyone else, unless it is the only choice that meets their needs, given the cost and limited bandwidth.

If peg is in a fixed location, i.e. a farm "out in the middle of no where" with only land line phone service, (they still have party lines??), not DSL, no cable, nor cell service, she does have several options to dial-up internet; Hughes, Starband, Bluebird and there are some other satellite internet providers.

If on the other hand Peg has chosen to live, and move around, in an RV or travel trailer AND chooses to stay in areas without cell service or Wifi, her options are more limited. Bluebird and others designed for fixed location use spot beans and you can't move more than a few miles. That leaves Hughes and Starband. If Pag has one of the automatic dishes her choice IS Hughes. I use Starband myself. I set my dish up on a tripod and point it every time I move.

Based on my monitoring of other forums, Hughes' customer service seems to reflects their knowledge of their hold on their client base. And as cell coverage expands and improves, long time Hughes users are switching to cell service and air cards.

An option Peg may need to consider is separating her internet service provider and her email service. There are several sources of free web email accounts, although there may be the same problem as her friends are having with RR. And depending on the type of business she is running there is something to be said for not having an [at]yahoo.com or [at]gmail.com email address. Though many use them, they look a little transitory to me for a business.

Another option would be to buy a domain name. If she doesn't want/need a web site she could have just the MX (email) hosted by any one of dozens of providers. That too needs to be done with some care, checking the reputation of the providers mail hosting service.

There are options, but given Peg has chosen/needs HughesNet, they are not as straight forward as for the general population of internet users. JMHO

Thank you all for your valuable information and support. I'm finally feeling validated that I have a problem! That has been one of the most frustrating issues I've been having with Hughesnet, and this appears to be an issue that their tech support has been dancing around, but not actually addressing.

On another forum, finally located a responsive e-mail address for a Hughesnet tech person who appears to have some clout, and knowledge. I had offered all 4 of their "higher tier" techs the path for troubled e-mail, and all kind of guffawed and said they didn't need me to send it, as they could access it. Turns out they never bothered to address it at all. The day after I posted this, one of them called me back and asked me to start at the beginning and tell them what is happening, and, of course, never did anything. :angry: This new contact seems to be addressing it, but at first only partially, and is now looking into it again.

I am in Noman's land when it comes to the internet. I live 2 miles outside a very small community of about 200, and 11 miles outside a little bit bigger, but very well known, community of about 2000. Very small community has RR. I am on a main road between the two, but there is NO high speed here. Have owned this place for 11 years, and have tried diligently to bird dog the issue.

To add insult to injury, my house is on the shade side of a mountain that just barely blocks cell coverage. I can occasionally receive texts, but never sustain a phone call. Solid coverage is a half mile away. And the land phone line is a constant maintenance issue - which often requires 2-3 visits a year from Verizon for outside repairs - water, mice, etc. - at their expense. My faxes are often iffy. Yet I still have new buried Verizon DSL? lines on my property - they just won't open up to individual consumers.

But back to my issue. I believe by contacting that one person at Hughesnet that I have finally identified a problem that I'm hoping they'll address. I can't imagine that they would think it fine that all of their subscribers who use their e-mail wouldn't mind missing anyone's RR mail - since there are so many RR subscribers. Also do not think Yahoo or G-mail addresses appear professional, and with my slow speed, it is much less direct opening them up, than Hughesnet e-mail to Outlook. I am trying to implement 2 business e-mail accounts. (One an insurance adjusting business, the other a horse racing partnership.) Thought I could just go ahead, but looks like I have to get websites up and running first. Still not sure how that might prevent the spamblocks interfering with RR e-mails, if Hughesnet is my only available ISP (that, or Wild Blue - six of one, half a dozen of the other?). I am no longer tied into a Hughesnet contract, and have stayed with them long past the end of it.

My son, who I miss because he is a CS recent graduate, and will not stay more than a day due to my lack of highspeed internet :( , is coming in the near future to help me with the websites. Am still hoping the Hughesnet tech is addressing this issue, as he has a job, and a life, and I'm paying for this service!

Moved back to be close to small town of 2000 as it is my hometown. This location is really beautiful, and a handy midpoint to several larger cities in Upstate NY, even being close to the old US Rte 20. I have been long considering the move because of the lack of utility service here, but hate having to fold to respond to it. :(

Thanks again for all of your input, and appreciate any further advice and suggestions.

Peg,

Wild Blue ~~ Bluebird, I was close. My memory is kind of like my internet; It drops out now and then.

Yes, I agree there are places "on the fringe of society" well the fringe of utilities anyway, that are just to nice to leave. I spend much time in the only county in Colorado without fiber-optic cable. Everything coming and going from the only town of ~400 is through one microwave link. When the tourist come to town, with their cell phones, and the stores process their credit cards, the internet slows to dial-up speed. So I feel you pain.

You use Hughesnet, I use Starband as my ISP. They provide my internet connection. I have an internet domain and support three others NONE hosted by Starband. Not as a plug, but Radixnet host my website(s). They also provide my email support.

You mentioned setting up a website. So if your new website is yourdomain.com, your email could be info{at}yourdomain.com or horses{at}yourdomain.com Working with you host (not Hughesnet, your ISP) you should be able to avoid the problems others are having sending email due to the reputation of RR and the problems you are having receiving email due to the policies of Hughesnet.

I agree, with all the advertisements that come with the "free" web email (gmail or yahoo) it is almost no useable with slower satellite connections. Your email (horses{at}yourdomain.com) could be read and sent using OutLook just like you are now getting your email from Hughesnet.

Do check around when you select a host for your new domain. Some common, well advertised, host have problems similar to RR because of the way they manage their hosted email accounts. Others only offer webmail support. Over the years I have established a very productive working relationship with Radixnet. There is something to be said for emailing or calling tech support with "Good morning John, I need..."

Hope all this helps. Good luck,.

Yesterday I received a fairly complete response from Hughesnet, including several messages back and forth to their mail server. Several addresses of RR's were on the list, but have evidently been updated. But I've now learned to be wary, and be careful how all of this is set up.

Thanks for the advice, Lking. When I finally bribe my son home with pot roast and banana bread to finally get the websites up, I'll pass this info along to him.

And again, appreciate the tenor of this forum. Found valuable help and validation for my plight.

Archived