Spam Marries Virus

Viruses are now being increasingly distributed by spam. But spamcop still (I think) refuses to process these messages. They are spam, but because they contain a virus they are not treated as such. I suggest we allow spammed viruses to be reported, and done so even more agressively than just the plain old plain old spam.

I do not read the forums but I will respond to any feedback send to me at s.vanslyck[at]spamcop.net

I have been the one complaining about viruses cycling with spam for some time, more like beating on a dead horse.

But I do read the forum, and hope other people's contribution will shed some light and eventually a consensus on a solution. Obviously this is not a fight you can take on your own.

Viruses are now being increasingly distributed by spam.

I have not seen this phenonemon. Earlier complaints I saw here turned out to be bounces from viruses, not really spam.

I would not see it on my personal accounts because all my accounts are filtered by spamcop, which removes the viruses before I see them.

My work accounts are also filtered for spam and viruses by postini, but I check them all regularly and have yet to see a spam message with a virus. All the viruses are pretty generic. Which viruses do this?

If someone could provide the headers and spam body (with the virus file removed) similiar to how you submit spam to spamtest<at>poboxes.com, I would be interested. Please clearly indicate in the subject that this came from the spamcop forum as I don't want to accidently report your message.

you are right, some examples I posted here looked like bounces but bounces they were not, enticing me to open their file for my own protection:

examples of virus e-mails

In fact, most virus attachments I have been sent recently open automatically to a save file console. Thanks god for the most part they are already de-fanged by the time they reach me. Since I started forwarding to spamcop e-mail, the number has diminished. I presume they never reach any of my inbox'es.

I do not read the forums but I will respond to any feedback send to me at

As stated a few times, it does seem silly to post, expect others to read and respond, after staing you won't bother to read the responses. Suggest you visit "My Controls" and select one of the options there that will send you an e-mail when your "tracked" item gets a response ... there are other options that might be applicable, but ... you have to make those calls.

you are right, some examples I posted here looked like bounces but bounces they were not, enticing me to open their file for my own protection:

examples of virus e-mails

In fact, most virus attachments I have been sent recently open automatically to a save file console. Thanks god for the most part they are already de-fanged by the time they reach me. Since I started forwarding to spamcop e-mail, the number has diminished. I presume they never reach any of my inbox'es.

dra007:

That message you posted was most definitely a bounce that had your email address forged as the sender as I explained over there. None of the messages you posted in that forum are spam as defined as reportable through spamcop (UBE or UCE, Unsolicited Bulk or Commercial Email). Many people consider bounces to forged addresses spam, but it is not reportable through spamcop.

As far as the save file console, your email application is somehow configured to do that. Computers don't do what they are not programmed to do (It just runs programs).

Archived