Mailhosts confusion

I've set up Mailhosts. My ISP does a lot of internal forwarding of email, so I had to

request a waiver because the automatic system wouldn't handle it. Waiver has

been granted.

I'm not sure if I'm using it right though. I still report spam through the website

form. The parsing is a little different, but otherwise everything is the same. I can

check my Mailhosts setup and see some servers listed.

I think I may not be using it correctly because nowhere do I see anything about

the quick reporting feature. My Mailhosts setup has no option for it (nor text about

it being disabled) and I don't see any text about it in the spam parsing.

I searched through the FAQ (no topics about Mailhosts) and the Forum (back to

the start of Apr), and didn't find anything that describes what happens once

Mailhosts is set up.

Is it supposed to be a transparent process, and the fact that I'm not noticing

anything is good? Or I am doing something wrong?

...Stu

Ok. The Forums link from the Help page goes right to this forum. After posting I

found the Mailhosts Beta forum by following the -> Forum index at the top of the

page.

Moderators; please feel free to move this thread to the appropriate forum. I'd do

it myself, but there doesn't seem to be an option for that.

...Stu

Ok. The Forums link from the Help page goes right to this forum. After posting I

found the Mailhosts Beta forum by following the -> Forum index at the top of the

page.

[snip]

Would one of the Deputies or mods please notify Julian of this?

Basically, I think they want you to carefully watch the full parsing for a while to be sure it is working in all cases for you (especially if you have several different email domains you are reporting for).

I think that quick reporting is only disabled betweent the time you start the mailhosts configuration and when you have received the confirmation.

Beyond that it is up to common sense to test that it is working properly FOR YOUR CONFIG before using the quick reporting which gives you the information after the damage has been done.

I've set up Mailhosts. My ISP does a lot of internal forwarding of email, so I had to

request a waiver because the automatic system wouldn't handle it. Waiver has

been granted.

I'm not sure if I'm using it right though. I still report spam through the website

form. The parsing is a little different, but otherwise everything is the same. I can

check my Mailhosts setup and see some servers listed.

I think I may not be using it correctly because nowhere do I see anything about

the quick reporting feature. My Mailhosts setup has no option for it (nor text about

it being disabled) and I don't see any text about it in the spam parsing.

I searched through the FAQ (no topics about Mailhosts) and the Forum (back to

the start of Apr), and didn't find anything that describes what happens once

Mailhosts is set up.

Is it supposed to be a transparent process, and the fact that I'm not noticing

anything is good? Or I am doing something wrong?

...Stu

Are you copy/pasting in the spams? If so there is no quick submit for that. Once you have reported spam for at least several days *and* if you used to be able to report by mailing/forwarding spam and you are sure that all your spams are parsing correctly you can mail your registered SC email address to me at the address in my sig and I can turn on quick submit for you.

[snip]

Would one of the Deputies or mods please  notify Julian of this?

Of what?

The possibility of getting a Mailhosts link to that forum on http://www.spamcop.net/help.shtml so that users needing help on mailhosts can be pointed to the forum discussing Mailhosts issues.

Hrmmm - well it is actually a whole lot easier for me if most of the mailhosts stuff showed up in the newsgroups to tell you the truth, altho we do have the forum here for people who don't do nntp. I will have to think about this.

I still report spam through the website form.
Are you copy/pasting in the spams? If so there is no quick submit for that.

Yes, that's what I meant by the website form.

Once you have reported spam for at least several days *and* if you used to be able to report by mailing/forwarding spam and you are sure that all your spams are parsing correctly you can mail your registered SC email address to me at the address in my sig and I can turn on quick submit for you.

So, it is correct that I currently don't see anything relating to the quick submit

feature? Mailhosts operates transparently for the website form copy/paste

submission method?

I'll have to look at switching to forwarding email; this one by one method is getting

old with the rise in spam this year.

...Stu

The possibility of getting a Mailhosts link to that forum on http://www.spamcop.net/help.shtml so that users needing help on mailhosts can be pointed to the forum discussing Mailhosts issues.

Hrmmm - well it is actually a whole lot easier for me if most of the mailhosts stuff showed up in the newsgroups to tell you the truth, altho we do have the forum here for people who don't do nntp. I will have to think about this.

I'll suggest that if NNTP is supposed to be the primary method of help, it should

be listed somewhere else than _last_ in the help list entitled _"Other options"_.

Makes it seem like a last resort. Given the rise in popularity of these web forums

in the last few years, and the decline in froups, I assumed the forums was the

place to ask for help.

...Stu, heading over to news...

page.

[snip]

Would one of the Deputies or mods please notify Julian of this?

I would have done something of the sort, but just checked ....

Mailhosts System

If you are having problems specifically related to the new Mailhosts verification system, post here

I still report spam through the website form.
Are you copy/pasting in the spams? If so there is no quick submit for that.

Yes, that's what I meant by the website form.

Once you have reported spam for at least several days *and* if you used to be able to report by mailing/forwarding spam and you are sure that all your spams are parsing correctly you can mail your registered SC email address to me at the address in my sig and I can turn on quick submit for you.

So, it is correct that I currently don't see anything relating to the quick submit

feature? Mailhosts operates transparently for the website form copy/paste

submission method?

I'll have to look at switching to forwarding email; this one by one method is getting

old with the rise in spam this year.

...Stu

Correct -- mailhosts should be transparent. There never was a quick submit for copy/paste -- only if you have a SpamCop email account and use the report as spam button or if you have a paid account then you can use quick instead of submit in the unique email address that you send spam to or if you have a free account and you send us your unique email address we can turn it on for you *but* you absolutely must make sure that all your mailhosts have been added correctly and that your spams will not be reporting your hosts.

I'll suggest that if NNTP is supposed to be the primary method of help, it should

be listed somewhere else than _last_ in the help list entitled _"Other options"_.

Makes it seem like a last resort. Given the rise in popularity of these web forums

place to ask for help.

Hi, Stu,

...Your assumption was correct. I believe that Ellen was just letting Spambo know that NNTP is her personal preference to explain why his request would not be immediately implemented; I think she realizes that the web forum is the "preferred" place for posting requests for help as defined by the person responsible for such decisions -- JT (a.k.a. jefft).

place to ask for help.

Hi, Stu,

...Your assumption was correct. I believe that Ellen was just letting Spambo know that NNTP is her personal preference to explain why his request would not be immediately implemented; I think she realizes that the web forum is the "preferred" place for posting requests for help as defined by the person responsible for such decisions -- JT (a.k.a. jefft).

gack I would edit that quote within quote within quote but there is not enough time in the day :-)

Anyway onwards and upwards, if anyone cares to check whatever faq page that was there is now a link to *here*

Archived