Sign in to follow this  
Bill Roberts

[Resolved] A plish forwarded to BBB was rejected

I received a plish and forwarded it to the Better Business bureau using their suggested address: phishing[at]council.bbb.org

I immediately received a reply from: Mail Delivery System <MAILER-DAEMON[at]c62.cesmail.net>

as follows:

The following message to <phishing[at]council.bbb.org> was undeliverable.

The reason for the problem:

5.1.0 - Unknown address error 554-'rejected due to virus'

Additional information link:

Final-Recipient: rfc822;phishing[at]council.bbb.org

Action: failed

Remote-MTA: dns; [4.30.97.4]

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 554-'rejected due to virus' (delivery attempts: 0)

Reporting-MTA: dns; c62.cesmail.net

My forwarded message was referenced by a different link. It contains identifying information so I am not posting it here. If anyone has an interest, please let me know how to safely supply it.

I also reported the original message to spamcop.

I'm not sure what happened here.

Hi, Bill,

...Since your post does not involve a feature or problem with the SpamCop e-mail service, I have taken the liberty of moving it from the "SpamCop Email System & Accounts" Forum to the "SpamCop Lounge" Forum. I think I understand why your chose the Forum you did and moving it was probably overly picky but I think it's a better fit here. :) <g>

...Good luck with finding an answer to your question!

Hi, Bill,

...Since your post does not involve a feature or problem with the SpamCop e-mail service, I have taken the liberty of moving it from the "SpamCop Email System & Accounts" Forum to the "SpamCop Lounge" Forum. I think I understand why your chose the Forum you did and moving it was probably overly picky but I think it's a better fit here. :) <g>

...Good luck with finding an answer to your question!

I put it in Email System because it was sent as

Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

Remote-MTA: dns; [4.30.97.4] which is IB.councilmail.bbb.org

Reporting-MTA: dns; c62.cesmail.net

I use Spamcop for Mail and I think Spamcop stopped it, not the Better Business Bureau.

I think you may actually be overly picky in this case. :)

<snip>

I use Spamcop for Mail and I think Spamcop stopped it, not the Better Business Bureau.

...Ah, reading more carefully, I believe you are correct on that!
I think you may actually be overly picky in this case. :)
...Nope, not just too picky -- wrong (assuming you are correct about the source of the message, on which I now agree with you). Thank you, I shall move it back! :) <g>
<snip>

I'm not sure what happened here.

<snip>

...My guess is that SpamCop e-mail did not want to forward what it thought was a virus, per message (I bolded the relevant text):
I immediately received a reply from: Mail Delivery System <MAILER-DAEMON[at]c62.cesmail.net>

as follows:

The following message to <phishing[at]council.bbb.org> was undeliverable.

The reason for the problem:

5.1.0 - Unknown address error 554-'rejected due to virus'

...A workaround might be to remove the offending virus content, first, replacing it with a message like "<virus content removed>."

>- 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 554-'rejected due to virus'

Council.bbb.org refused to accept the email because it contained a virus, and so SpamCop email reported that fact to the sender.

As suggested, the workaround is to replace the body text from the email with <virus content removed>, and then report it.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -