Sick of Russian spam

petzl

Like China, the Russian economy would collapse without the element of cybercrime :P:lol:

I'm finding China does attempt to stop spam and reacts to reports?

Rusia seems to have many rouge spam friendly hosts that don't react to abuse reports :ph34r:

I'm finding China does attempt to stop spam and reacts to reports?

Rusia seems to have many rouge spam friendly hosts that don't react to abuse reports :ph34r:

To be fair, they *are* trying to clean up their image. But like any nation, spammers tend to stay five steps ahead.

In my experience forum spam reporting, Russia, Romania, Moldova and the Ukraine must have 90% of the world's botnets >.<

Cheers!

When I was with Yahoo, I was getting tons of spam from Russian botnets. So I gave yahoo up and now I use Hotmail and Gmail, which both operate on secure servers. Believe it or not, yahoo doesn't run on a secure server, they run on http. That means more bad stuff is apt to get through. It really makes a difference, because its been over two weeks now without a single spam message in my inbox. I also opted out on offers when I got my gmail address. So far, no spam.

When I was with Yahoo, I was getting tons of spam from Russian botnets. So I gave yahoo up and now I use Hotmail and Gmail, which both operate on secure servers. Believe it or not, yahoo doesn't run on a secure server, they run on http. That means more bad stuff is apt to get through. It really makes a difference, because its been over two weeks now without a single spam message in my inbox. I also opted out on offers when I got my gmail address. So far, no spam.

Yahoo seems hopless still giving out you address and the "message service" which can't be shut down is annoying.

You need nowadays to create a false ID Name addres and birth-date to create a security barrier from fraud or whatever. I reverse my sir name for Gmail false birth date I am truthful about country use Australia, do use Sydney but never suburb, never give phone number.

Pays Keep these false details (template) for every online "subscription"

Gmail I know do "Data Mine" or read your email (sent and received) electronically.

I believe Gmail are so good they learn where you live your birthdate etc. Not yet shown to be a problem, but I don't like it Already looking to find out where a middle east country was a link popped up to view where I live and it shows a aerial shot of my home?

Advertisements looking at Youtube seem to target my age group?

Think a lot of info to scammers is from cookies even though I regularly clear them?

Yahoo seems hopless still giving out you address and the "message service" which can't be shut down is annoying.

You need nowadays to create a false ID Name addres and birth-date to create a security barrier from fraud or whatever. I reverse my sir name for Gmail false birth date I am truthful about country use Australia, do use Sydney but never suburb, never give phone number.

Pays Keep these false details (template) for every online "subscription"

Gmail I know do "Data Mine" or read your email (sent and received) electronically.

I believe Gmail are so good they learn where you live your birthdate etc. Not yet shown to be a problem, but I don't like it Already looking to find out where a middle east country was a link popped up to view where I live and it shows a aerial shot of my home?

Think a lot of info to scammers is from cookies even though I regularly clear them?

Yeah, I noticed that too. And most of my mail was done on an Iphone, and I regularly clear cookies from that and my PC. Yahoo isn't secure. It runs on Http instead of Https like Google and MSN do. That's what the problem is. And Yahoo won't listen either. Shame isn't it?

So I gave yahoo up and now I use Hotmail and Gmail, which both operate on secure servers. Believe it or not, yahoo doesn't run on a secure server, they run on http. That means more bad stuff is apt to get through.

I'm a little surprised that none of the remaining denizens here have challenged the contention that "more bad stuff is apt to get through" due to lack of https when interacting with webmail, but it's nonsense. The "security" provided by interacting with a website through https is that it protects (encrypts) your login info and information transmitted to and from the server. The difference you see in spam showing up in various types of freemail accounts has to do with the filtering technologies utilized by the freemail provider, and also in the relative secrecy of your address. For example, if you correspond with friends or businesses using that address, all bets are off, as their computers could be compromised and controlled by botnets. There are other factors that can result in incoming spam to even a "secret" freemail address, but they're not germane to this debunking.

The only way that the "https vs. http" difference really comes into play vis a vis "more bad stuff" would be if you subscribed to the notion that all Internet traffic is being intercepted and spied upon by nefarious types (other than governments), or if your computer becomes infected by malware that snoops on your transmissions or your cookies. If you practice reasonable "safe computing," the latter isn't very likely. Now, I don't ever use unsecured WiFi, and if you do, that comes with some security risk.

It's interesting to note that in the "Help" for Yahoo!Mail, there's an "How to turn on SSL" article mentioning an option that doesn't appear to exist, at least not in my account. I don't generally recommend Yahoo!Mail accounts to friends and relatives, in that they're the most likely to get hijacked, but that's another topic as well.

DT

I got a chuckle out of Facebook when I opened my account. I got advertisements based on my age (kept privet) and suggested I "friend" girls the same age as my high school aged friends.

Being an old hippie, I got advertisements for ED cures and friending suggestions for jail bate! Based on the location of the NOC terminal in Alabama I also got ads for retirements homes in Atlanta.

I got a chuckle out of Facebook when I opened my account. I got advertisements based on my age (kept privet) and suggested I "friend" girls the same age as my high school aged friends.

Being an old hippie, I got advertisements for ED cures and friending suggestions for jail bate! Based on the location of the NOC terminal in Alabama I also got ads for retirements homes in Atlanta.

Gmail are VERY good at reading email passing through there system might pay to send some birthday messages to yourself and to eslwhere with false details. Have these details stored in text somewhere

Gmail can even show me a map of where I live yet I've never given them my address they get this from travel agents (and other businesses) which I have sent to Gmail as I don't want their ads to go to my SpamCop addy

If Gmail do this I would say others do also

Gmail are VERY good at reading email passing through there system ...

If Gmail do this I would say others do also

Has to be illegal? In Australia anyway (data mining, privacy). I suppose the ALRC Report 108 of 2008 might have the answer for any with the stamina to wade through it. When I got to Section 9. Overview: Impact of Developing Technology on Privacy and found a blank page (on-line version), I lost the will to live. Fortunately(?) I regained it when I found the PDF version is FAR from blank. Well, it's only 28 pages, that section, but I have to recover my strength. It was written by Lawyers after all. Those are the ones the west coast great white Noahs spit out (professional courtesy).

Anyway, "threats to national security" and all sorts of motherhood issues in use of information for purposes other than those for which it was obtained. And disclosure of those purposes. The Brits have had some notably public anguish over the issues as well (as opposed to their usual dignified silence). It's okay for the Government apparently but another matter entirely for the private sector. Doesn't stop private enterprise from constantly testing the boundaries - or from testing how far they can stray over the line before being caught - and whether the risk is worth it.

Has to be illegal? In Australia anyway (data mining, privacy). I suppose the ALRC Report 108 of 2008 might have the answer for any with the stamina to wade through it. When I got to Section 9. Overview: Impact of Developing Technology on Privacy and found a blank page (on-line version), I lost the will to live. Fortunately(?) I regained it when I found the PDF version is FAR from blank. Well, it's only 28 pages, that section, but I have to recover my strength. It was written by Lawyers after all. Those are the ones the west coast great white Noahs spit out (professional courtesy).

Anyway, "threats to national security" and all sorts of motherhood issues in use of information for purposes other than those for which it was obtained. And disclosure of those purposes. The Brits have had some notably public anguish over the issues as well (as opposed to their usual dignified silence). It's okay for the Government apparently but another matter entirely for the private sector. Doesn't stop private enterprise from constantly testing the boundaries - or from testing how far they can stray over the line before being caught - and whether the risk is worth it.

Gmail use as do most email providers electronically "read' your email ,for instance in sorting spam from ham.

Fact is electronic reading of email is so good it can date mine your correspondence and they do.

...The Brits have had some notably public anguish over the issues as well (as opposed to their usual dignified silence). ...
Sorry to be talking to myself ("Again!" adds Mrs Farelf, pointedly, "But why not? You never talk to me."). Anyway, Phorm was a name I was trying to recall when writing that.

Have to go now. Apparently I am needed somewhere ... can't recall where, but it will come to me.

Sorry to be talking to myself ("Again!" adds Mrs Farelf, pointedly, "But why not? You never talk to me."). Anyway, Phorm was a name I was trying to recall when writing that.

Have to go now. Apparently I am needed somewhere ... can't recall where, but it will come to me.

Thanks for the link not sure if Gmail use Phorm ?

"Phorm says the data collected will be anonymous and will not be used to identify users"

Gmail most certainly identifies me to people like advertisers

Even downloaded their and others privacy opt-out "programs" which have zero effect AFAIK and I know

... not sure if Gmail use Phorm ?...
No, I have no indication that they do either - but there was HUGE suspicion about Phorm in the UK a year or so ago and they seem to have retracted their scope of operation and lost some of their prospective sponsorship in the fall-out since. Regulation always lags technology, I guess that is the point - but public scrutiny has become more effective at the same time, and the effect of outcry (perhaps) more effective too. Or those with the most to lose from intrusions into personal life are the high and the mighty.

No, I have no indication that they do either - but there was HUGE suspicion about Phorm in the UK a year or so ago and they seem to have retracted their scope of operation and lost some of their prospective sponsorship in the fall-out since. Regulation always lags technology, I guess that is the point - but public scrutiny has become more effective at the same time, and the effect of outcry (perhaps) more effective too. Or those with the most to lose from intrusions into personal life are the high and the mighty.

Just pay to boiler plate a fake internet identity

use wrong DoB, sex, name at best use just first name use Country and nearest main city don't be to informative.

Facebook I did this not that I want use facebook (sometimes interested in a few articles) and have marked any messages from them as spam in my Gmail folder.

Surprisingly when I log in it's full of people I do know?

I suspect friends have been giving my false name to them, some I haven't seen or heard from for years, a millennium ago? So it's always tempting to "opt-in".

The way I look at it they have my email, phone, postal address, I do use Skype.

The point is it's hard to keep yourself private on internet, technology is quick to find you,

Wait till the drones advance more and more cheaper and cheaper

one will be able to hire one a go for a "look see" over the rich & famous

When on holiday check your home from Timbuktu or wherever

Archived